Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

A Letter My Sleep Health Center and Follow Up
RE: Follow Up On Sleep Health Centers
Thanks, I will contact my primary docs office. If they sold them to who might that be and then what can happen? I do not want my info out there even if it is mild and easily controlled with my c-pap. I am not going to be looking for employment at age 67 and I have my own P/T little dog grooming business. What is the worst case senario?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: A Letter My Sleep Health Center and Follow Up
S5, I merged your two threads as it is dealing on the same topic and will help with the flow of the discussion.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
There is no worse case scenario. There are so many laws against illegal use of patient data and while it is not impossible, it is too risky.

Take the steps necessary to get your records. Make a copy of them so you have them on file. Once it is all settled, send the company a letter stating your issue. Send the same letter to the Better Business Bureau not only where you live, but where the company office is.

One step at a time then hit 'em with a hammer.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Paula, I will call or go into my Primary docs office and there sign a release for the records to be sent to him. Then I will send the complaint letters to BBB after I get my records as you say. I still do not understand what they could do with my records and who they would share info with and why. What I have shared here about my case is nothing unusual with a moderate case and my machine takes care of it. I have never used drugs, do not drink or smoke now or ever and I am a pretty boring apnea case to share. It isn't like I could loose my job as a truck driver or school bus driver. I just groom a few small dogs few days a week. Could you explain what anyone could do with my records?Give an example? When the gov and Obama want us to have micro chips for medical, that is where I draw the line and say NO WAY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Depends on what is in the records. If you paid by credit card or check, those numbers are there. Your insurance number. Address. Phone number. Probably social security number. Age and birth date. Everything someone would need to do a stolen identity game. That information can be sold. Usually though, such information is in with a lot of others and it is the packet that is sold.

However, the idea that this company would sell it or even care about it is slim. More than likely, someone dropped the ball and they are backpedaling to cover their arses.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Ohhh, never thought of that. I just wish I could talk to one of them on the phone and say send my records and I do NOT want any info leaking. I never put my ss # and my state insurance pays for everything with no co pays , credit cards etc. But I plan to have my info sent to my doc after Easter when I have some time.
Post Reply Post Reply
I may be cynical but why else would this nebulous company want your written permission to use your medical records for...whatever they want to.
If they ever got caught doing something nefarious they can always point to your signed patient information release forms and go: "See it's ok. We got the patient's written permission to sell all the information to a Nigerian Prince"
Yah.
Maybe I was born at night but it wasn't LAST night. Wink

They whole thing stinks.
I agree with PaulaO2.
Hit 'em with a hammer. Smile

Cheers!
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
What if I just ignore the request and do nothing. They have my records regardless they won't release all of them to me; they would probably keep copies. I don't need them really and if I ever see a new doctor I can have them read my card and maybe have a new sleep study or not. I mentioned before that I had them send my records before I knew anything about them leaving. I refused the last reminder for a check up because it was always the same boring wait and then a few minutes with the doc saying everything is as good as it can get, I just don't want them selling my info off to who knows who or where. I don't need the records and don't want them. What about that> Do nothing? BTW while this new thread was being answered by you, another form duplicate came in the mail. So, what if I just ignore them?
Post Reply Post Reply
In that case I would let them know in writing that you do NOT give consent to use any part of your records in any way whatsoever otherwise they will continue trying to contact you for a signature.

Good luck with that.

Sleep-well

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Follow Up On Sleep Health Centers
(03-28-2013, 10:23 AM)Schnauzers 5 Wrote: Thanks, I will contact my primary docs office. If they sold them to who might that be and then what can happen? I do not want my info out there even if it is mild and easily controlled with my c-pap. I am not going to be looking for employment at age 67 and I have my own P/T little dog grooming business. What is the worst case senario?

If you died tonight that would be your worst case scenario Sad Other than that, everything else is to your benefit.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gut Absorbtion Health? Zoltyzolt 0 93 03-21-2024, 02:12 PM
Last Post: Zoltyzolt
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 166 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  React Health Luna G3 CPAP apotter11 3 209 03-01-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 209 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Cool [Health] FYI: OSA AND EYE HEALTH srlevine1 2 307 01-27-2024, 01:54 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Love a follow up on my OSCAR readings plz! Captain Howdy 72 6,198 10-22-2023, 07:04 AM
Last Post: Captain Howdy
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,363 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.