Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

A Little Depressed by Recent Numbers
A Little Depressed by Recent Numbers
After a week or so of terrific numbers (0.6 AHI), the past five or so days have been showing higher AHI numbers each day. Last night's was 10.5, with several apneas and even more hypopnea. And nothing has changed as far as sleeping habits go.

So I've gone from a week or so of bliss to feeling tired again during the day. Is this common? Will there always be good weeks and bad weeks?

If this keeps up, how long before its time to speak to the doctor?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: A Little Depressed by Recent Numbers
robgb, if you just started therapy this really common. You have a sleep debt to pay off. You've probably been tired for a while and it will catch up with you. It should not last too long and I wouldn't make any machine adjustments yet. Give yourself a week or 10 days at the outside and if you're not feeling better and the AHI is still high talk to the doc. Too high a pressure and too low a pressure can precipitate central apneas, but I would not concern myself with that just now. Continue using the the machine 100% of sleep time. Keep us posted on your progress.
This advice is from my own experience- it may not be right for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
avoid sleeping on your back as gravity it more likely for your tongue to obstruct your airways in this position
a chinstrap helps keep mouth closed and minimize mouth leaks
if therapy air escaping thru the mouth instead keeping the airways open might compromise the treatment
as the Elite does not auto adjust to make up for the loss

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I have been using a chin strap that handles the mouth problem. What I've noticed is that the apnea and hypopnea seems to come in clusters, with long passages of undisturbed sleep in between. So I have to assume I am indeed rolling onto my back at those times.

I don't know what else it could be.
Post Reply Post Reply
infra-red web cam with motion detection software will nail it down if you have sleep position issue. (amazingly low cost!)
If you have a partner it's easier since they will bop you when you snore on your back.

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, the bed partner thing won't work since I don't snore. My snore index is 0.18 max. Probably because I got surgery several years ago.

But the infrared idea is intriguing. Do you know of any brands?
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-27-2013, 11:15 PM)zonk Wrote: avoid sleeping on your back as gravity it more likely for your tongue to obstruct your airways in this position
not only that, but I find I do better sleeping on my left side than my right side - less aerophagia, and actually I think I feel better and have lower AHI when I sleep on my left.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-28-2013, 10:29 AM)robgb Wrote: Thanks. I have been using a chin strap that handles the mouth problem. What I've noticed is that the apnea and hypopnea seems to come in clusters, with long passages of undisturbed sleep in between. So I have to assume I am indeed rolling onto my back at those times.

I don't know what else it could be.
I would not worry about one night but its time to speak to the doctor if getting more frequent
maybe aliens or pressure adjustment

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-28-2013, 10:55 AM)robgb Wrote: Well, the bed partner thing won't work since I don't snore. My snore index is 0.18 max. Probably because I got surgery several years ago.

But the infrared idea is intriguing. Do you know of any brands?

Not really.
I made my own from a junk web cam ($12) , a cheap netbook that runs crunchbang or Lubuntu Linux and some cheap IR light sources I got from amazon ($6 each), A cheap 12v wall wart to power each light source and that's it.

You take apart the web cam and pull out the infrared cut-off filter. (surprise. All web cams can work with infrared but they have to be modified at the factory to work well with *visible light* )

You can buy premade stuff but it will cost a load more.

Cheers!
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
I have heard of people sewing a tennis ball or something similar onto the back of their PJ tops. In the middle of the night when they roll on their back, the ball makes it uncomfortable and they either wake up or roll back. This might be a good alternative if you aren't going to try the infra-red web cam with motion detection software.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 117 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
  Can someone help me make sense of my Therapy Numbers? kc90 6 352 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: kc90
  [Symptoms] Recent Symptom - Settings Change? MamaK55 1 164 02-10-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Frustrating insomnia continues despite numbers alienfrontier 10 604 01-27-2024, 02:04 PM
Last Post: alienfrontier
  [Treatment] Could anyone help with my recent poor quality of sleep? invainn 5 541 12-16-2023, 09:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central Sleep Apnea AHI numbers too high chathamite 12 1,017 11-19-2023, 07:47 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Numbers are better but I feel worse LikeaGlove90 2 509 09-24-2023, 12:10 AM
Last Post: LikeaGlove90

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.