Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

A Little Depressed by Recent Numbers
RE: A Little Depressed by Recent Numbers
Duct tape a tennis ball to a shirt. I'd not recommend duct taping it to your back. Unless you want to wear it until it comes off on its own.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
People may also have more events during REM sleep.
Mary
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm finding that I will have a big number of events during about a half hour period, then the rest of the night is fairly eventless, with maybe one "flair-up" toward the end of the morning.

Last night, at around 1:30 a.m. I woke up, checked the clock and purposely rolled onto my back to sleep. I wanted to see how that would correspond with the cpap stats. Turns out that was exactly the time I had my biggest "flair-up." I remember waking up again about twenty minutes later and rolling onto my side. Sleep was normal after that.

Post Reply Post Reply
I think that decades of untreated OSA has conditioned me to never sleep on my back. I can't do even it if I try!

I did somehow mange to sleep on my back for a bit during my sleep study titration. They advised my pressure be set at 13 cm. No need for that now, though, as I never sleep on my back. My doctor lowered it to 11 cm, and then to 10 cm. I raised it back up to 11 cm to lower my hypopnea index.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The hypopnea is what concerns me most. My stats show that this seems to be the real problem. OSA is fairly low and central is almost non-existent.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-01-2013, 12:13 PM)robgb Wrote: The hypopnea is what concerns me most. My stats show that this seems to be the real problem. OSA is fairly low and central is almost non-existent.

You're new to CPAP therapy, correct? Call your doctor and provider and explain your concerns. Your pressure is very low at 8 cm (you lucky devil) and so it's not a big deal if they decide to raise it a tad and see how your body responds.

It's great that you're monitoring your own health. Good doctors are glad to see that.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, yeah, I plan to call, but want to wait a couple weeks more to see how this all shakes out. Could be that if I make a conscious (or hopefully unconscious) effort to not sleep on my back, I'll do fine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Happy to say that after forcing myself not to sleep on my back last night, my AHI was 0.36 this morning with no leaks, etc. Hopefully, this will hold up for a while.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2013, 06:13 PM)robgb Wrote: Happy to say that after forcing myself not to sleep on my back last night, my AHI was 0.36 this morning with no leaks, etc. Hopefully, this will hold up for a while.
congrats. sometimes avoiding sleeping on your back does the trick
put a tennis in ball in a sock and stitch or safety pin the sock to middle of back of pyjama or T-shirt. when you sleep with the sock, its painful to sleep on your back so you roll on your side. btw which Elite do you use, S8 or S9
Post Reply Post Reply
That 0.36 number this early in your therapy is fabulous!

Your AHI will vary a little no matter what. We use the Sleepyhead software and take notes every day to see if there is a pattern to what my husband might have had to eat or drink, how long he slept, etc. He does OK unless he sleeps on his stomach but other than that there is no real consistency that we can detect but at least we have the data there just in case.

His lowest AHI so far was 0.15 and we thought it was a software glitch we were so surprised. Sleeping longer helps assuming that you don't tend to have events in the morning. Graphs seem to show my husband's events are either right after he goes to sleep, or a clump around 3:30 in the morning, which I assume is REM sleep time for him.

How did you "force" yourself not to sleep on your back?

(03-02-2013, 06:13 PM)robgb Wrote: Happy to say that after forcing myself not to sleep on my back last night, my AHI was 0.36 this morning with no leaks, etc. Hopefully, this will hold up for a while.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 122 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
  Can someone help me make sense of my Therapy Numbers? kc90 6 356 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: kc90
  [Symptoms] Recent Symptom - Settings Change? MamaK55 1 164 02-10-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Frustrating insomnia continues despite numbers alienfrontier 10 607 01-27-2024, 02:04 PM
Last Post: alienfrontier
  [Treatment] Could anyone help with my recent poor quality of sleep? invainn 5 542 12-16-2023, 09:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central Sleep Apnea AHI numbers too high chathamite 12 1,021 11-19-2023, 07:47 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Numbers are better but I feel worse LikeaGlove90 2 512 09-24-2023, 12:10 AM
Last Post: LikeaGlove90

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.