Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

A Lost Cause?
RE: A Lost Cause?
(04-01-2019, 09:49 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I have restored machines used in a smoking household. I use a cotton ball sprayed with Ozium, and allow the vapor to be taken into the machine. In most cases this significantly reduces the smoke odor. It is usually necessary to replace any silicone seals in the humidifier connector and outlet to get the best results.  Ozium Air Sanitizer contains isoproanol, triethylene glycol and polypropylene glycol which you should avoid inhaling in any concentrated form, however it does react with the tars and smoke odors in a contaminated machine and is antibacterial to help sanitize.

Safety Data Sheet: https://www.indsolved.com/product/docume...MS_017.pdf

Thank you for the information.

obob
Post Reply Post Reply
I was thinking more about this smokey machine too and wondered whether one of the cheap $60 Ozone sanitizes might work as these connect to the mask end of the hose and blow all the way back through the machine ? Just an idea as I would hate that as an ex smoker

Rob
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-01-2019, 11:59 PM)Technopauper Wrote: I was thinking more about this smokey machine too and wondered whether one of the cheap $60 Ozone sanitizes might work as these connect to the mask end of the hose and blow all the way back through the machine ? Just an idea as I would hate that as an ex smoker

Rob

This is one case where an ozone generator could potentially have benefits. Ozone is nothing more than an unstable form of oxygent (O3. The free oxygen molecule is available to donate to oxidize any organic material, such as tobacco tars and odors. In time, an ozone generator should oxidize those deposits and reduce objectionable odors. The glycolized Ozium does much the same thing.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-02-2019, 08:19 AM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(04-01-2019, 11:59 PM)Technopauper Wrote: I was thinking more about this smokey machine too and wondered whether one of the cheap $60 Ozone sanitizes might work as these connect to the mask end of the hose and blow all the way back through the machine ? Just an idea as I would hate that as an ex smoker

Rob

This is one case where an ozone generator could potentially have benefits. Ozone is nothing more than an unstable form of oxygent (O3. The free oxygen molecule is available to donate to oxidize any organic material, such as tobacco tars and odors. In time, an ozone generator should oxidize those deposits and reduce objectionable odors. The glycolized Ozium does much the same thing.

I'll keep these suggestions in mind once I have a chance to assess the state of the machine -- very helpful.  The postal tracker says package will arrive Thursday.  Thanks very much Rob and Sleeprider.

obob
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, now I have a relatively new (2020 hrs) Vauto to compare with my new PR APAP machine.  The good news is that for me at least the bad odor mentioned by the seller is not a problem, and better yet, without even changing the settings left by the previous owner (very close to my own current PR APAP settings) I think I see some improvements in my flow pattern.  We shall see if this holds up with time, or hopefully even gets better.  I can hope can't I?

I've been operating both machines for several nights now for comparison (and compliance if necessary.)  (Representative SH snapshots below: 1 & 2 from APAP, 3 & 4 from VAuto.)
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry, pressed Post instead of Preview, and left out the full shot for the VAuto.  I will attach it here.  You might conclude that I didn't sleep too well last night!

The final snapshot in the previous post is an "anomaly" that I notice in all my VAuto sessions to date (believe I also saw it in some of the previous owner's, sleeplover, postings.)  Could it be caused by his settings?  I have a poor grasp of what all the settings do, so perhaps someone here can guide me?  The settings I question are:

Ti Max = 4.0s
Ti Min = 0.9s
Trigger = Hi
Cycle = Hi

I've done enough to confuse things for one day so will save other concerns for later.  Happy with the new machine!

obob
Post Reply Post Reply
Bob - if 'auld reeky' isn't working for you or want a spare, there is another one on eBay just now finishing tomorrow at a great price currently ?

Rob
Post Reply Post Reply
It struck me the Scottish reference might have been lost on some - here's an explanation of why my old hometown is called auld reekie

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/united...ld-reekie/

Rob (Jockadian)
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks TechnoP, I'm totally satisfied with my "smoker" but thanks for keeping an eye out!

Sadly, I've never had the opportunity of visiting your "Auld Reeky", maybe one day.

obob
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Lost weight, no doc, can't get my settings right... japesinjapan 9 277 03-21-2024, 01:52 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Lost Red Pressure Graph Line ejbpesca 5 368 11-09-2023, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Lost Trust in CheckmeMax O2 Watch cmpman1974 1 311 10-05-2023, 01:30 AM
Last Post: Old Mike
Question Newbie and using OSCAR - SUPER LOST and looking for advice DaveHirschler 26 2,084 08-01-2023, 08:13 PM
Last Post: DaveHirschler
  At a lost Sabee 6 676 03-23-2023, 08:15 AM
Last Post: Sabee
Gross [CPAP] Lost and Confused. Mycpapaccount 1 520 03-16-2023, 05:40 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Lost my data? [Resvent iBreeze auto] Catherine416 6 4,210 01-25-2022, 01:36 PM
Last Post: Catherine416

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.