Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

A Month Without Bi-Pap?
A Month Without Bi-Pap?
Next year we have a trip to Europe planned. I have zero interest in hauling this thing through all that. I currently have both my new Bi-pap and my previous C-Pap.

One option I suppose is to remove the humidifier (and not have to run around looking for distilled water), and take just the main unit. I still have power conversion to worry about.

Just to further simplify things, we will be traveling by air, train, and boat.

I'm trying to determine any downside to a mask-free month.

Phil
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: A Month Without Bi-Pap?
(11-30-2013, 03:37 PM)pdeli Wrote: Next year we have a trip to Europe planned. I have zero interest in hauling this thing through all that. I currently have both my new Bi-pap and my previous C-Pap.

One option I suppose is to remove the humidifier (and not have to run around looking for distilled water), and take just the main unit. I still have power conversion to worry about.

Just to further simplify things, we will be traveling by air, train, and boat.

I'm trying to determine any downside to a mask-free month.

Phil

well, not that it would happen but it could happen. You could not wake up, without it, it can cause damage or more damage to your vital organs, you may not sleep well, feel rested, foggy brain, concentration issues among other things. It depends on you. Can you think back to how it was before you got your CPAP and/or BIPAP?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-30-2013, 03:37 PM)pdeli Wrote: I still have power conversion to worry about.
Machines can use 100-240V, you only need a plug adapter
Post Reply Post Reply
Well before C-Pap/Bi-Pap started (10/2012) I was pretty tired most of the time. I also had a pretty severe bout with shingles that interfered with any attempts to figure out what was actually going on. Several times during the first 6 months, the shingles and the lingering Post herpetic Neuropthy caused me to suspend the use of the C-pap for perhaps a week.

Initially my AHI was around 38 or so and now it's around 1.

But there have been other changes. I've stopped drinking and exercise a bit more. The drinking cessation has been very good in several respects including better sleep. However, all of the Europe trip will be in Italy, so that will be challenging.

A number of years ago I had decided to not drink, and when my 1st wife (German) and I went back for a visit to Germany, all of her friends called me "The water apostle". So life can be challenging!

I'm guessing that I should run all ofthis by the sleep Doc (if I can get to him)and see what he says.

Thanks for your input.

Phil

(11-30-2013, 03:45 PM)me50 Wrote:
(11-30-2013, 03:37 PM)pdeli Wrote: Next year we have a trip to Europe planned. I have zero interest in hauling this thing through all that. I currently have both my new Bi-pap and my previous C-Pap.

...snip...I'm trying to determine any downside to a mask-free month.

Phil

well, not that it would happen but it could happen. You could not wake up, without it, it can cause damage or more damage to your vital organs, you may not sleep well, feel rested, foggy brain, concentration issues among other things. It depends on you. Can you think back to how it was before you got your CPAP and/or BIPAP?

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Phil

Yes, talking with your sleep doc is a great idea. I just think that if you don't take your machine, you won't have as good of a trip and that is a long way to go and an expensive trip to not get to enjoy it or worse.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have taken XPAP machines to Europe several times, and never found it to be any big problem. The modern machines function fine on the 240 V electric systems there without need for a step-down transformer. And you can buy a set of plug adaptors at a lot of places here in USA. There are several plug configurations depending on which countries you travel to. Distilled water is available in Europe, but for a trip I found that plain tap water worked fine and did not harm the humidifier chamber at all.

I suggest that you do take your machine, but never put in checked luggage-the baggage handlers toss things around to harshly to risk destroying the machine.

TheDuke
Post Reply Post Reply
This education never stops ...... XPAP?

Phil

(12-01-2013, 09:25 PM)TheDuke Wrote: I have taken XPAP machines to Europe several times, and never found it to be any big problem. The modern machines function fine on the 240 V electric systems there without need for a step-down transformer. And you can buy a set of plug adaptors at a lot of places here in USA. There are several plug configurations depending on which countries you travel to. Distilled water is available in Europe, but for a trip I found that plain tap water worked fine and did not harm the humidifier chamber at all.

I suggest that you do take your machine, but never put in checked luggage-the baggage handlers toss things around to harshly to risk destroying the machine.

TheDuke

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-30-2013, 09:04 PM)me50 Wrote: Hi Phil

Yes, talking with your sleep doc is a great idea. I just think that if you don't take your machine, you won't have as good of a trip and that is a long way to go and an expensive trip to not get to enjoy it or worse.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Have to agree with this

Taken my cpap machine on a few trips and was glad I did.

I'm not a Doctor but a fan of The Doctor. any views,comments etc are my own

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-30-2013, 03:37 PM)pdeli Wrote: Next year we have a trip to Europe planned. I have zero interest in hauling this thing through all that.

Yeah, but the thing is, it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

The risk you run is your trip could be ruined. Just pack the thing in a small carry on bag along with the humidifier, hose, and mask. And throw in a flashlight and maybe an eye mask and clothespins.

If you find yourself unable to sleep when you're travelling you'll be so glad you brought it along. And don't worry about the water in the tank. Use it when you have it, even tap water will do in a pinch.

I've been over there three times and had lots of trouble sleeping. But that was back when I didn't know I had sleep apnea.

The power supply is designed to work the world over, and will handle that wide range of voltages covering everything you might encounter. You may need adapters for plugs to fit, but all of the voltages are safe to use.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 143 10 hours ago
Last Post: jcp519
  One month in and could use help RTC75321 2 153 03-20-2024, 06:46 PM
Last Post: RTC75321
  [Treatment] Low O2 After Almost a Month of Therapy somewherein413 36 1,022 03-14-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Month on CPAP can't stay asleep Trep1018 1 138 03-08-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Symptoms] Help my symptoms got better at first but then they came back after a month LordofthStrings 14 930 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: LordofthStrings
  Cpap for 4 month, worked in the beginning but not much now Killiane69 6 604 01-23-2024, 07:41 AM
Last Post: Killiane69
Smile Three month overview outasleep 5 547 11-27-2023, 12:20 PM
Last Post: outasleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.