Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

A couple of newbie questions
RE: A couple of newbie questions
Well I'm seeing a ton of them at home, at least according to my machine. More since I got more of a handle on my leaks. I don't know what the difference would have been during my sleep study.
Paula

"If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started I was desperately wishing to be where I am now."
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW the choking on air thing, I believe I had some of that on the first CPAP, possibly some with BiPAP, none now on the ASV. Forgive my lack of recalling things (meds and being old and feeble), but things tend to fade into the past quickly for me right now. Now, I can only credit that progression on what I can prove; that would be the latter 2 are Bilevel type of machines and I could not breathe against a standard CPAP at straight 18 or 20.

I actually think the BiPAP was the worst, because it enhanced my central apneas. That was terrible, going to sleep with it working away, triggering centrals, then waking up feeling like I stayed up for 2 nights in a row. Rinse and repeat. Oh-jeez

Oh anyway, hope you're getting closer to conquering the difficulties.

Coffee anyone? lots-o-coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
AHI last night was 3.68, but only 1.08 after subtracting all the events that were recorded while I know I was awake. And I mean full on waking up, not just briefly becoming aware that I'm not asleep. I have no earthly idea why I'm waking up so many times, but it's killing me.

I have noticed that I'm no longer sleeping for 9.5 or 10 hours, but I do not feel more rested during the day. I suspect I may just be getting up because I'd rather do that than keep the mask on any longer.
Paula

"If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started I was desperately wishing to be where I am now."
Post Reply Post Reply
My sleep doctor is telling me that the ResMed algorithm misidentifies clear airway events and that's the reason I see them in my data but he did not seem them in my sleep study results.

Do you buy that?
Paula

Post Reply Post Reply
I believe that it is entirely possible for CAs to be misidentified because I have seen a few in my data while I was in fact actually turning off the machine. The xPAP machine is somewhat guessing on apneas in general because you are not hooked up to sleep monitoring and assessment equipment. However, in other threads, we were able to see studies which determined that the xPAP machines did a really good job of coming close to sleep study data such that the machines could be relied upon. I would have asked the doctor what his source or data was for making that conclusion since you have more than the usual number of CA events for "misidentifying" a few.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
paulang1955, You can see for yourself on your flow chart by zooming in. During the event both the CA and OA look pretty much the same. It's how they end that tells you which is which. The CA will just resume normal breathing flow. The OA will resume with a larger inhale or recovery breath. You can zoom in on one event than use your side to side arrows on your keyboard to jump from one event to the next.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
WallaWalla, does that look like what's happening here? I'm sorry, I'm still so new at this, I don't understand my own data.

[Image: b18z0BGl.png]

[Image: iqHzZlyl.png]

I'm going to have to look through my more data to see what it looks like.

Also from last night, I had a block of time flagges as Cheyne Stokes respiration. I'm assuming this is nothing to worry about as an isolated incident?

[Image: 6uwRiEvl.png]
Paula

Post Reply Post Reply
The CSR is actually periodic breathing is nothing to worry about. From what I could see it looks like obstructive events.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Right, but some of those are flagged as CA events.
Paula

Post Reply Post Reply
Real simple. What happens when you add EPR and/or variable pressure?

Your sleep study said centrals, We are at a big disadvantage to analyze the events in your graphs, but the gradual resumption of breathing is exactly what Walla originally said was a central characteristic, and is typical of most of your events. I think most of your events are central, but at less than 5 AHI it's a tough sell for a different treatment. Another sleep study that analyze your response to pressure is the real answer. I think it really doesn't matter whether the events are central or obstructive; you have too many of them for good rest. I would focus on that in your discussions.

If you don't feel rested, and you find you need to use a fixed pressure therapy due to persistent flow limitation, and can't take advantage of EPR due to apneas, what does it matter the cause? Your doctor should be looking for a solution.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 147 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 376 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  In a quandry over a couple of things... SheShells23 49 852 03-25-2024, 11:01 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 267 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 200 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.