Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

A couple of newbie questions
RE: A couple of newbie questions
My insurance is Kaiser Permanente. My doctor is employed by them.  Sad
Paula

"If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started I was desperately wishing to be where I am now."
Post Reply Post Reply
IMO whatever your goal is should still be a reachable thing. Not trying to muddy the water or such, but take an assessment on the situation. Determine if you can reach the goals with what you are working with or not. If not, obviously, you will need to find out if anything can be changed, such as the doctor, etc. I myself was in a seemingly similar situation a year ago. I had the BiPAP and the Duck didn't want to admit I needed the ASV. I went to my PCP and requested a second opinion referral to another sleep facility to discuss my case. Meanwhile, I had to see the original sleep center on an urgent need basis, and that started my ASV path. And here I am with said device. And a nice new doc at the original facility because doc 1 retired.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just don't know. I'm not sure my hypothyroidism is being well treated and I can't get the PCP to revisit that because my "numbers are in the reference range." Oh, Lord, how I hate those words. I have MANY more symptoms of hypothyroidism than sleep apnea. But in her opinion, this is the only avenue to pursue.
Paula

"If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started I was desperately wishing to be where I am now."
Post Reply Post Reply
Being a kaiser member I can understand how you feel. Your relationship with your PCP is the most important thing. Are you on Synthroid for your hypothyroid? I am sure they are monitoring your thyroid levels with regular blood work. Hang in there. Even if you are assigned an APAP machine if it can be shown that it is not treating you, the machine can be exchanged for another one that can be shown to be more effective. In my case, I swapped my biPAP Vaoto with an ASV.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you to paulag1955, and everyone helping her. I suspect I'll have to go through the same thing. My sleep study is in a month from today.

Paulag did you ever find a way to help the hip pain fron sleeping on your side? I have that problem as well...
Post Reply Post Reply
dguzzi, I think I've just gotten used to it. It's not bothering me anymore.
Paula

Post Reply Post Reply
mhehe, yes, I'm on levothyroxine and my TSH falls in the normal range. If it were really that easy to treat hypothyroidism, life would be grand. And, unfortunately, I am coming to loathe my PCP. The other day we were communicating via email about another concern and she ended the conversation with, "You should see Dr. [X]." and blocked me from responding. I was not very happy to say the least.
Paula

Post Reply Post Reply
Unfortunate that your Duck is failing you. Hopefully you can replace this doc with one more competent. Best wishes on success.

lots-o-coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Dave!
Paula

Post Reply Post Reply
This is my data from last night. Overall not horrendous, but certainly not good. And look at the second graphic for my last hour of "sleep." I mean...I thought I was asleep. What's up with that?
Paula

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  EPR questions juniper 7 285 04-19-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New - so many questions Matsu1 7 405 04-18-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Matsu1
  Surgery questions sarahsleeps 8 208 04-16-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: coffee9724
  Rising AHI the last couple of weeks Brimstone 7 243 04-12-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: Brimstone
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 129 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Newbie Here Tulipdi 4 211 04-02-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Tulipdi
Question [Equipment] Airsense 11 Questions tblaster 2 172 04-02-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: tblaster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.