Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

A couple of newbie questions
RE: A couple of newbie questions
I hate to say this, but I think I may have been sleeping on my stomach for that last segment, and also the segment before it where my AHI was over 8. If that proves to be true, it would be VERY BAD NEWS.
Paula

"If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started I was desperately wishing to be where I am now."
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, and because I read that even a Kindle device emits blue light, I ordered a pair of blue light filtering reading glasses. My sleep hygiene is otherwise good and I'm trying this as a last resort (before giving up reading in bed) to try to minimize the number of times I wake throughout the night.
Paula

"If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started I was desperately wishing to be where I am now."
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2018, 03:47 PM)paulag1955 Wrote: Oh, and because I read that even a Kindle device emits blue light, I ordered a pair of blue light filtering reading glasses. My sleep hygiene is otherwise good and I'm trying this as a last resort (before giving up reading in bed) to try to minimize the number of times I wake throughout the night.

If you have a Kindle TABLET, yes, that emits blue. However, Kindle e-ink e-readers are not backlit and do not emit blue light. Screens that emit blue light are typically computers, cellphones, and tablets (iPads, Kindle FIRES, etc.). Depending on the type of Kindle you have, you may be OK. But the glasses are probably a good idea in case you check email (or shop) before bed!  Bigwink

The blue light spectrum, in particular, is devious about keeping you up at night and holding the average tablet close to your face in bed exacerbates the issue.

E-readers without back lights, such as the basic Kindle, don’t have this problem at all, but do have the problem of still needing another light source (which sort of counters the beneficial qualities of not having a lighted screen to begin with). The Paperwhite and new Oasis Kindle models, however, offer an effective middle ground. The problem with backlight screens is they are essentially throwing light directly out into your eyes. Amazon’s method is for lighting the screen is different. It uses a handful of tiny LEDs to create light, but those lights are aimed inward to just light up the screen, not shine from behind. So, the amount of light exposure you’re getting is considerably lessened. Also, the level of light, like every other aspect of the screen is entirely adjustable. So, for those that like to read right before bed, the Kindle is much more likely to have a negligible effect on your sleep patterns, whereas a traditional tablet could cause problems.
Post Reply Post Reply
I guess that staring at a big NEC E-464 46" LCD screen with LED edge-lit backlighting playing an XBox 360 game just before bed isn't a good idea then? Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Holy cow, I never shop while sleepy! That's a recipe for disaster! (But I do like to check Facebook "one last time.")
Paula

Post Reply Post Reply
I have no idea about e-ink or whatever. I know that my Kindle Voyager throws off a lot of light (enough to use it as a flashlight in a pinch), so I'm not taking any chances.
Paula

Post Reply Post Reply
Um...yeah, Dave, I didn't mention the TV, but it's a REAL big blue light emitter! Too-funny

Paula, on the Kindle Voyage IS e-ink and you can adjust the light. I had one two Kindles ago, so I might be mis-remembering (I know, not a word!) but I think you might tap the top of the screen and the light bar comes up. If you un-check Auto Brightness, you can set a lower light level. But you might want to do it with the lighting you use, or it might end up too dark or too bright. I understand where you are coming from, though, because I can't go to sleep without reading. Habit of 50 years can't be broken!  Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I have the light adjusted perfectly. Even on a low setting it's bright enough to use as a flashlight. (I read in bed with the light off, so I turn it down pretty low.)

FYI, I'm wearing the blue blocking glasses right now. They were weird at first, but you kind of get used to it. I wouldn't want to mix paints wearing them, though.
Paula

Post Reply Post Reply
But back to the more important point, does anyone have any thoughts on my data from last night?
Paula

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2018, 09:12 PM)paulag1955 Wrote: I wouldn't want to mix paints wearing them, though.

Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New - so many questions Matsu1 7 377 11 hours ago
Last Post: Matsu1
  EPR questions juniper 5 198 04-16-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Surgery questions sarahsleeps 8 178 04-16-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: coffee9724
  Rising AHI the last couple of weeks Brimstone 7 219 04-12-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: Brimstone
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 111 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Newbie Here Tulipdi 4 191 04-02-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Tulipdi
Question [Equipment] Airsense 11 Questions tblaster 2 152 04-02-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: tblaster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.