Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

A decision between ResMed & Philips, how important is it to have a local DME provider
Question 
A decision between ResMed & Philips, how important is it to have a local DME provider
Things seem to be different in my country.

If the clinical sleep diagnoses results in me needing a CPAP machine, my health insurance will pay for a rental machine (as long as I can prove at least 80% use).

I will be able to choose between two DME providers, one is carrying only Philips Respironics equipment, the other ResMed. Due to the rental and supply contract between my health insurance and the DME provider, there is no changing around afterwards, so either a Philips machine with Philips mask or ResMed machine with ResMed mask, but not a Philips machine with ResMed mask or swapping a Philips for a ResMed machine and vice versa.

The Philips DME provider has a local office in my town, the ResMed DME provider not (they will send the equipment and/or send their regional representative to visit me at home).

Obviously it would be way more convenient to simply go to their local office whenever needed, I could even pickup my (Philips) equipment right after the night at the sleep clinic, but I really would prefer the ResMed equipment, though having it sent to me can take some time and I'm not really comfortable with the idea of having their regional representative come to my home.

So this is not only the decision between a DME provider with local office or not, but also between Philips (DreamStation Auto-CPAP + DreamWare Nasal Cushion or Pillow Mask) and ResMed (AutoSense 10 AutoSet + AirFit P10 Nasal Pillow Mask) equipment.

I've already done my research, which is why I think the ResMed gear is superior in major key points, but obviously it bothers me that they don't have a local office. It's not only about convenience, but thinking about what happens if there is a problem with the machine, I could have the Philips machine swapped the same day, however it may take up to a week for a ResMed replacement to be shipped (no same day or next day replacement, as it is considered nonessential equipment).

Any thoughts on that?
In pursuit of a goodnight sleep | Receive a discount at Wellue Health
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: A decision between ResMed & Philips, how important is it to have a local DME provider
Just my opinion but I'd get the Resmed. You may never need to return the machine for service. But you'll be using the machine every day. Use the best machine for your treatment and don't settle for less based on convenience.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: A decision between ResMed & Philips, how important is it to have a local DME provider
I would get the ResMed. As Walla said, you may never have problems with it anyway. If you are worried about being without the machine if it breaks, it might be a good idea to purchase a used machine as a backup.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
The masks thing is a toss up. There is no way to know in advance which company's masks will work for you. But the Resmed top of the line F20, N20 and P10 work for a lot of people.

Do the different DME's have different policies on masks that don't work for you? Can you get replacements of a different model? How many different kinds will they swap out?

But if the masks of the one brand the DME carries don't work, you could still accept them and sell or swap the unopened masks with others in similar situations to obtain masks that do work for you -well, you can in the US. No idea how that would work in your country.
Post Reply Post Reply
How interesting of a predicament. I feel for you! Especially since I prefer the Phillips machine but a non-Phillips mask.

My DME is 3,000 miles away from where I live. The only nuisance about that is that I can't try on masks in person.

One thing for you to consider is you'll only receive your machine once; but you'll be receiving masks every 3 months or so. So you'll be dealing with your DME for masks indefinitely.

One question for you... If you pick the farther away DME, are you allowed to buy out-of-pocket from your closer DME?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hydrangea has a valid point in choosing the local DME; mask choice is extremely important. If you don't get the best mask for yourself, you'll likely never get the best apnea therapy you'll need.

There's so many variables with masks, all of which must be addressed. There's the following: fit of headgear, cushion and headgear size, mask type (full face or other), brand, sometimes also cushion material.

Given the mask selection is very important, you may well be best served to select the local option for the DME just for the easier ability to get your mask selection solved easier. I'll be quite honest, Respironics DreamStation machines are very good machines. I had the DreamStation BPAP Auto for a short time before I was diagnosed as needing an ASV machine. Truly, Respironics has a great machine. FWIW you can't go wrong with either Respironics or ResMed IMO.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,818 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,604 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,034 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,062 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 372 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  AHI vs Desaturation -which is more important? vwboop 1 151 03-08-2024, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Where to send my philips REPLACEMENT machine Rice95 7 1,122 02-29-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.