Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

A dream about to become true?
A dream about to become true?
someone just sent me the link below.

http://www.fundairing.com/journal/2015/4...pap-device

Wouldn't that be a dream come true?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: A dream about to become true?
(06-03-2015, 08:50 AM)Mich Wrote: someone just sent me the link below.

Except that it's not possible, it would be very cool.

Just for comparison, a normal CPAP machine requires a 100Ah deep cycle battery, physically, a little bigger than what starts your car.

There's no way this thing works unless it contains a power cell from the future.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-03-2015, 09:57 AM)Terry Wrote:

Just for comparison, a normal CPAP machine requires a 100Ah deep cycle battery, physically, a little bigger than what starts your car.

There's no way this thing works unless it contains a power cell from the future.
Flux Capacitor. Proven tech I saw it in a movie.
[Image: FluxCapacitor2.jpg]
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-03-2015, 10:11 AM)Mark Douglas Wrote:
(06-03-2015, 09:57 AM)Terry Wrote:

Flux Capacitor. Proven tech I saw it in a movie.
[Image: FluxCapacitor2.jpg]

I went to their page and read in their blog that it will be powered by a zinc-air battery? I do not know anything about that. Here is the page describing how it is powered:

http://www.fundairing.com/journal/

Thanks for checking into that for us, Mark.
Post Reply Post Reply
Biggest issue I see is the lack of humidifier. You're going to have to sacrifice a lot of features to get that form factor.
Post Reply Post Reply
Even if micro flow pumps and the zinc air battery work, the unit is being designed to be disposable. No recharging battery or blower. Use it one night, pick up a new one. Care to guess what that might cost?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-03-2015, 01:50 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Even if micro flow pumps and the zinc air battery work, the unit is being designed to be disposable. No recharging battery or blower. Use it one night, pick up a new one. Care to guess what that might cost?

I do not venture to guess. I wish someone came up with nose pads/pillows that lasted at least a year! Smile I guess Resmed and the other cpap providers are not interested because it would cut into their profits.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is the material. Silicone, that thin, being used night after night, can't last that long. It has to be flexible enough to fit our face/nostrils. It has to be safe enough to touch our skin (or even mucous membranes in the case of pillows). And it has to be stiff enough to not flap outward with each exhale when we breathe (for FFM and masks).

But as for the Airing, I call bull crap. It just is not possible. And a Google search on the zinc-air battery makes me believe they are full of even more bull.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc%E2%80%93air_battery

Quote:Large zinc–air batteries, with capacities up to 2,000 ampere–hours per cell, are used to power navigation instruments and marker lights, oceanographic experiments and railway signals.

Primary cells are made in button format to about 1 Ah. Prismatic shapes for portable devices are manufactured with capacities between 5 and 30 Ah. Hybrid cell cathodes include manganese dioxide to allow high peak currents.

Button cells are highly effective, but it is difficult to extend the same construction to larger sizes due to air diffusion performance, heat dissipation, and leakage problems. Prismatic and cylindrical cell designs address these problems. Stacking prismatic cells requires air channels in the battery and may require a fan to force air through the stack.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-03-2015, 08:37 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: It is the material. Silicone, that thin, being used night after night, can't last that long. It has to be flexible enough to fit our face/nostrils. It has to be safe enough to touch our skin (or even mucous membranes in the case of pillows). And it has to be stiff enough to not flap outward with each exhale when we breathe (for FFM and masks).

But as for the Airing, I call bull crap. It just is not possible. And a Google search on the zinc-air battery makes me believe they are full of even more bull.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc%E2%80%93air_battery

Quote:Large zinc–air batteries, with capacities up to 2,000 ampere–hours per cell, are used to power navigation instruments and marker lights, oceanographic experiments and railway signals.

Primary cells are made in button format to about 1 Ah. Prismatic shapes for portable devices are manufactured with capacities between 5 and 30 Ah. Hybrid cell cathodes include manganese dioxide to allow high peak currents.

Button cells are highly effective, but it is difficult to extend the same construction to larger sizes due to air diffusion performance, heat dissipation, and leakage problems. Prismatic and cylindrical cell designs address these problems. Stacking prismatic cells requires air channels in the battery and may require a fan to force air through the stack.

I agree with you that the silicone is way too thin to last too long. However, I hope someday some engineer with sleep apnea can come up with a way to custom make the c-pap mask/pad/pillows so it will last a long time.

Thank you for your input on those zinc-air batteries.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Using the heated tube on Dream Station 2 arpegio 4 950 02-16-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: arpegio
  Can you tell if these are true CAs and OAs? Kathy14225 24 1,343 11-08-2023, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AHI total average vs true AHI graphed hourly average Jessher 9 733 10-23-2023, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Gideon
Exclaimation [Diagnosis] 2 Yrs CPAP & I Still Don't Dream - Eliminated Obstructive But Central Apneas Present droo 5 532 08-31-2023, 07:18 PM
Last Post: droo
  Are the machine AHI numbers accurate? 92 to 2 seems too good to be true? apoleary 5 665 06-27-2023, 04:07 PM
Last Post: Gideon
Question Resmed AirTouch F20 on Dream Station 2: X factor? SleeperAwake21 1 437 05-19-2023, 04:43 PM
Last Post: SleeperAwake21
  Mask prices to good to be true ?? sauerkraut 11 1,033 03-25-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: sauerkraut

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.