Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

A few questions for the Experts
A few questions for the Experts
I purchased a Pad A Cheek for my Airfit A10 mask. I have to say it is a wonderful invention and has lowered my AHI probably due to almost no leakage.

I've been using the mask liner for about 4 days and right from the get go I notice that breathing is a little harder even on the same Flex number which is set to 2. It's like I have nasal congestion. However, there are times when I wake up during the night my breathing is fine again unless it happens again. I also noticed that when blowing my nose there is what appears to be some blood. It's something red. Very little though. Could the liner be forcing a greater amount of air through my nose and perhaps breaking some capillaries or something? I seem to have the mask adjusted according to the manual.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: A few questions for the Experts
I kind of doubt there is any relationship to either the pad-a-cheek or CPAP. The mask pressure is managed by a sensor in the machine, but that is more accurate in the absence of unintended leaks. If you're feeling minor congestion, the "trauma" of blowing your nose can cause some minor bleeding. I think most of us have experienced this from time to time without a full-on nose bleed.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another question for you.  I'm a mouth breather, at least when I'm sleeping.  Does my full face mask make mouth breathing not affect my quest for a zero AHI or should I use something to keep my big mouth shut at night?  If yes, does the body have a problem breathing with a mouth shut closed?  I wouldn't like to die in my sleep. I guess if my nose is congested it wouldn't be a good idea to tape my mouth shut.

Oh yeah, one more thing.  Does changing the Flex number affect the AHI?  If I change it to 3 (I think that's the number that makes it easier to exhale) will I see an increase in my AHI while a 1 (harder to breathe) lower the AHI?
Post Reply Post Reply
Good questions! First, mouth breathing is never good. It allows pressure into your mouth and puffs up your cheeks, just like it does the rest of your airway. A full-face simply maintains a closed circuit so that air entering the mouth does not (hopefully) escape the pressurized system; however bloated cheeks (often called chipmunk cheeks) are disruptive to your sleep, uncomfortable, and you would quickly learn, it's more comfortable to breath nasally and keep that pressure out of your mouth. Give it a try while you're awake. You may be a nose breather and not know it.

Since I answered yes, the answer to the other part of this question is; you will wake up before you die. You did it thousands of times before CPAP therapy. Your body is capable of arousal to cause you to breathe, even if you are not aware of it. I would recommend you try something non-invasive to "keep your big mouth shut", like a cervical collar that puts gentle pressure on the back of the jaw, or a chin-strap/pap-cap, that uses elastic tension to do this. I like the collar for people that need this aid because the pressure is from behind which improves obstructive posture, rather than pulling your jaw back which is bad.

When I used Philips Respironics machines, I found my best results at AFlex 1. If I tried to use higher Flex settings my AHI was worse, usually central. I just found the lower setting more comfortable.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
When awake I am not a mouth breather.  It's only when I am asleep do I become a mouth breather.  I know this for a fact when I am aroused from sleep and realize my mouth is open.  I read somewhere that surgical tape place over the mouth as long as it goes past the corners of the mouth is a solution.  At  least I could use the tape just to see what it's like not mouth breathing when asleep.  Then again, I'm somewhat concerned that I might inhale the tape if it became loose.  Yeah, yeah, I'm somewhat of a worrier.

I tried a cervical collar and my AHI went up.  I find the collar uncomfortable and it might have caused me to wake up during the night.
Post Reply Post Reply
If your mask is not leaking, I would not bother with taping. It is the pressure that keeps your airway patent and that won't be improved by taping when using a FFM.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 160 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 272 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 266 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 308 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 466 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  My treatment fun. Questions. robbob2112 15 1,600 10-26-2023, 10:19 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie questions - What am I seeing? lmftit 0 358 09-04-2023, 04:44 PM
Last Post: lmftit

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.