Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

A fix for slack-jaw.
A fix for slack-jaw.
Hi all,

I have dentures. I take them out before fitting the mask. Frequently, as I relax into sleep, my lower jaw drops down and causes the Eson2 mask to leak. 

To stop myself from drifting into wakefulness, I found a stretchy "jogging headband" that I stretch firmly but not uncomfortably around my lower jaw and to the top of my head.

Works like magic. It also feels as if my head is cradled by the hands of a loved one. 

[Image: slackjaw-fix-500.jpg]
You can't go back and you can't stand still, if the thunder don't get ya the lightnin' will.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: A fix for slack-jaw.
Ingenuity at it's finest.  like   Well-done
Post Reply Post Reply
What is the brand/model of the headband?

John
Post Reply Post Reply
Cool! CPAP users are such a practical and creative bunch of people.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry 70sSano,
I don't know. Try googling "jogging headband".

Two points:
* It must be stretchy.
* It must be soft and comfortable against the skin.
You can't go back and you can't stand still, if the thunder don't get ya the lightnin' will.
Post Reply Post Reply
70sSano...Probably "sports headband" might get you more results on google. I was trying to think of the fabric type. I think it's faux velvet and I paid about $NZ5.00 for mine 10 years ago . There's no need to shell out $20 or $50.

If you have a local trade site (for stuff) they might be worth exploring.
Post Reply Post Reply
I need to give you folks an update that might help you with your leaking mask (might, because we primates are all different). It's very positive, after having used the headband (now a jaw-band) for 3 nights.

*  Last night I slept on my BACK the WHOLE night, apart from getting up once to pee.

*  I've started DREAMING again.

*  I feel RESTED and awake this morning.

*  Since using the jaw-band my mask leaks are a low NORMAL, every time.

*  This is the first time in years I can sleep without the stress induced by a leaking nose mask and slack-jaw.

*  I can stop BLAMING myself for not getting a good night's sleep.

Don't let these money-rich corporations or anyone else take you for another ride by selling you a "specially made for you jaw-band for $50 or more".

But you have to try it for yourself and find a jaw-band to suit YOU, YOU, YOU! Go for stretchy, velvety and soft but firm under your chin. Don't just jam it on your head and hope for the best.

You should not have to pay more than roughly $5 to $10 for such a headband. Don't fall for these bullsh*t sports headbands selling for $30 to $50 or more.

We're no longer living in trees, where we can't be eaten. We're grounded upright walking primates, where we're vulnerable to being bled dry by other predatory, greedy and broken members of our own species.

Treat yourself with kindness.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can buy a chinstrap from any CPAP supplier. They don't cost that much. About $15 US.

Often they are needed only for beginners, in which case they act like a training device and are no longer needed after awhile. Sometimes their continued use is needed. Sometimes they don't work well enough and you have to switch to a full face mask to prevent the leaks.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleepster - I live and learn Smile It's fun to discover my own solutions. And I'm always a beginner. It helps me to being open to wonder.
Post Reply Post Reply
Braindead, you better change your handle to brainalive.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.