Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

A lesson about sleep apnea. . .
I just had a wild experience.  I'm having my driveway repaved.  At the street there was warning signs, flaggers. and a big tandem axle dump truck parked on the side of the road.  A driver, an older fellow, came barreling down the road, hit one of the flaggers, full body, and then the dump truck head-on.  The flagger was knocked up on the car's windshield and then reversed direction and completely over the front of the dump truck.  Needless to say the flagger is what we use to call "low sick".  The driver stated that he fell asleep and was awoken when he heard the sound of hitting the flagger.  WOW!  Talk about a prime example for treatment of sleep apnea.
Apnea Helpful Tips
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow Red,
I had a similar experience about 6 years ago.  I worked for a highway construction firm in the accounting department, and once a week would travel to job sites to gather all the payroll data.  

One time, as I was pulling up to the construction trailer to talk with the supervisors, I heard the sound of a driver crashing into barrels, along with hitting a flagger head on.
She was thrown quite a distance.  Needless to say, she didn't make it.

Later found out that the driver had sleep apnea, but refused treatment. At the time, I didn't know much about Sleep Apnea, but will never forget witnessing that accident.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

How to Organize and Post ScreenShots

http://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
My personal experience of falling asleep at the wheel from fatigue, a micro-sleep, and undiagnosed SA.... fortunately nobody was injured, only took out trees and wheelie bins, the Mercedes was a write off though- overpriced piece of crap, if it had been a Ford Transit it would have been deemed repairable as it was really only mainly panel damage.

[Image: 20160303_164310_zps6xdcaioy.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply

I am amazed at the number of people I have met over the years that have sleep apnea - have had the studies and machine and don't use it.
Also amazed at the many people who know they have it and don't seek help.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-21-2017, 07:11 PM)Ockrocket Wrote: My personal experience of falling asleep at the wheel from fatigue, a micro-sleep, and undiagnosed SA.... fortunately nobody was injured, only took out trees and wheelie bins, the Mercedes was a write off though- overpriced piece of crap, if it had been a Ford Transit it would have been deemed repairable as it was really only mainly panel damage.

Looks like a Mercedes Sprinter.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2017, 02:23 AM)holden4th Wrote:
(04-21-2017, 07:11 PM)Ockrocket Wrote: My personal experience of falling asleep at the wheel from fatigue, a micro-sleep, and undiagnosed SA.... fortunately nobody was injured, only took out trees and wheelie bins, the Mercedes was a write off though- overpriced piece of crap, if it had been a Ford Transit it would have been deemed repairable as it was really only mainly panel damage.

Looks like a Mercedes Sprinter.

Was a Mercedes Sprinter is the operative word in this case... it is no longer 'Sprinter-ing' anywhere.  Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply

I need to schedule my "awake study" in a month so that I can get a waiver to fly military aircraft. Gotta sit in a dim room in a comfy chair for 45 minutes without falling asleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sleep Apnea and Service Dogs PaulaO2 29 13,584 02-27-2017, 10:41 AM
Last Post: GrammaBear
  Insomnia or sleep apnea? EssienM 6 682 02-10-2017, 01:18 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
Wink Apnea is not the only reason I can't sleep! JohnNJ 21 3,401 10-23-2016, 10:21 AM
Last Post: AlanE
Grin Sleep apnea funnies GPSMapNut 200 20,251 07-27-2016, 12:29 PM
Last Post: ger365
  Justice Scalia Had Sleep Apnea surferdude2 11 1,599 04-04-2016, 04:45 PM
Last Post: FrankNichols
  Learned a hard lesson GrammaBear 27 2,523 10-16-2015, 12:06 AM
Last Post: regbeach