Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

A little help with making something black
I am working on a issue on my Cello (wolf tones) and the solution I would like to have is to have two magnets, one inside and one outside, that hold each other in place.

I have the magnets and it works and does what I want (eliminate wolf tones) but, the magnets come in polished Nickel - which is wonderful except it makes it really stand out on my Cello's face. I was hoping to figure out a why to paint, or powder, or electroplate or something the magnet to make it's surface flat/matte black.

Any suggestions would be welcome/appreciated. (the magnets a very sensitive to heat, so baking something on is not an option).

Here is a picture of the outside magnet on the surface of my Cello:

[Image: wolf.jpg]
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Flat black spray paint is available anywhere (Walmart?) and you will have lots left-over. Dries fast and won't mark your cello. Just put the magnets on a piece of newspaper, spray, let dry, turn, spray more.
Post Reply Post Reply
Double-stick tape on black felt or other fabric might work, too. Cut to size, a circle for the top and a narrow strip around the side.
Post Reply Post Reply

I ahve never had luck using spray paint. I was concerned with the high gloss nickel finish not holding the paint and having the oil from my fingers remove it. I will give it a try with one, can't hurt.

Thanks
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2016, 10:21 AM)FrankNichols Wrote: I ahve never had luck using spray paint. I was concerned with the high gloss nickel finish not holding the paint and having the oil from my fingers remove it. I will give it a try with one, can't hurt.

Thanks

Scuff it up with sandpaper or an emery board to take off the gloss?
Post Reply Post Reply
Reading a little about painting on Nickel looks complicated, it needs to be prepared, etched, etc, to get paint/enamel to adher.

I wonder how hard black nickel electroplating is, and how cheaply I can make a kit to do it.
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply

Electroplating is pretty complex. You can de-grease and prepare the surface with degreaser and green 3M scrub sponge or 400-600 grit sandpaper. Alcohol is a great degreaser, and if you just take the shine off the surface, you will be able to coat these very quickly. Sandpaper is available in all paint stores and automotive stores by the sheet. I was not aware you were using bright chrome finish magnets. Send me a PM and a self-addressed stamped envelope, and I will give you the sandpaper.
Post Reply Post Reply
http://www.ehow.com/how_8763344_darken-n...ating.html

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply
Based off your picture of the magnet, the surface finish doesn't have the "tooth" to have normal paint to grip. You need probably to use a catalyzed paint and possibly a primer of the same type. The two brands that come to mind are products used for firearm finishes. They are Cerakote and Duracoat. Or, you could Google "powder coaters near me". Call them and ask how much would they charge to coat the magnet when they plan to make a run on the color (black, satin black, or flat black).
Apnea Helpful Tips
Post Reply Post Reply

Your magnets are Neodymium Round Base Magnets. They are pretty strong, and not very expensive. They can be ordered in black epoxy coating at as little as 0.12 cents each plus shipping. To avoid a moderator intervention, I will PM you with the link.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making Cpap fun? sir_sleeps_alot 11 4,201 11-20-2013, 06:34 PM
Last Post: zonk