A little rant about walking in the road in the dark.
pupcamper Online

Advisory Members

Machine: PR DreamStation CPAP Pro
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 Pillows; Quatro Air FFM
Humidifier: DreamStation Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10.5 cmH2O; no ramp; no C-Flex
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncorePro

Other Comments: Lung cancer survivor since 11/2004; CPAP since 11/2015

Sex: Male

Exclaimation A little rant about walking in the road in the dark.
I leave for work in the mornings while it is still dark outside. Twice this week I have had near misses with people walking on the side of the road wearing dark clothing without any form of safety equipment. Both could have very well had a fatal outcome. Both incidents occurred while in areas with no street lights and while I was meeting another vehicle on narrow streets.

Come on people, you are responsible for your own safety. I will do everything possible to avoid you, but I have to be able to see you to do that. In both cases I was not able to see you walking in the road next to the curb due to the glare of the lights from the oncoming vehicles and the dark clothing you were wearing. Fortunately I did see you in time to take evasive action at the last second, otherwise the outcome would have been far different. And by the way, flipping me off after I saved you from your own negligence didn't help in any way.

By not wearing clothing appropriate to the activity you were engaged in you both put me in a position that could have had serious consequences for both of us. If I had hit you I would have been in a very difficult position. Even if it was determined I was not at fault I would have to live with it the rest of my life.

If there is the slightest possibility you will be in the street in low light conditions it is your responsibility to were the appropriate safety gear. I routinely walk before daylight. Unlike you, however, I wear a retroreflective safety vest so people can see me well before they get to me and I step up out of the road if there is the slightest indication an approaching driver can't see me. Pay attention. Your life depends on it.

"....respiration,—a troublesome practice, but one which custom has rendered necessary to our easy existence...." Oliver Twist, Charles Dickens- 1837

I use FlashPAP to load data from a FlashAir III wifi sd card in my machine to my computer and display it with SleepyHead .
robysue's Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
08-27-2016 08:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
surferdude2 Online

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro & Optilife
Humidifier: ResMed H5i @ #3 if nose breathing & #5 if mouth breathing
CPAP Pressure: 12 ~ 20 & 11 ~12 if nasal mask
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Late stage 2 emphysema

RE: A little rant about walking in the road in the dark.
And another thing, I see people walking on the side with the direction of traffic rather that against it. Sometimes there are more than one and they walk side by side and actually in the traffic lane!. Come on people, do you have a death wish or what? That kind of poor judgement flies in the face of your efforts to stay in shape by walking.

Always walk against the flow of traffic. You'll have a much better chance of taking evasive action to avoid being a first responder at an accident. You shouldn't have to be told to do that but apparently some folks missed that day at school.

Dude
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2016 02:44 PM by surferdude2.)
08-27-2016 02:43 PM
pupcamper Online

Advisory Members

All good points, Dude. A little common sense and planning will go a long way toward keeping them from becoming a statistic.

"....respiration,—a troublesome practice, but one which custom has rendered necessary to our easy existence...." Oliver Twist, Charles Dickens- 1837

I use FlashPAP to load data from a FlashAir III wifi sd card in my machine to my computer and display it with SleepyHead .
08-27-2016 04:59 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
FrankNichols Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Resmed F10 and/or P10
Humidifier: Builtin
CPAP Pressure: 17-19
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: I've figured out how to get my AHI down to 5, I quit sleeping!

I have a theory that the Russians won the Cold War. In 1970 (or there about) they developed and drop stupid bombs all across the US. Since that time people have been too stupid to know the Cold War is over and Russia won - among other kings like walking on the wrong side of the road...

I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
08-27-2016 05:13 PM
pupcamper Online

Advisory Members

(08-27-2016 05:13 PM)FrankNichols Wrote:  I have a theory that the Russians won the Cold War. In 1970 (or there about) they developed and drop stupid bombs all across the US. Since that time people have been too stupid to know the Cold War is over and Russia won - among other kings like walking on the wrong side of the road...

People become so engrossed in what they are doing that they lose touch with what is going on around them, which can be very dangerous when walking on a road in the dark.

08-27-2016 05:29 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

I had a mom walking her two daughters (both appeared to young teens) to the school bus pickup, in the dark, no street lights, all wearing dark clothes, all walking down the center of the road and didn't bother stepping to one side when they knew I was coming. Cars are not quiet and my headlights were projector beams that lit the road for blocks. Then have the nerve to yell at me when I passed them. Like I was supposed to go off road or how dare I be on the same road as they were. I felt bad after that her children had to hear me tell their mom what an irresponsible, colossal idiot she was.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
08-28-2016 08:24 AM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Can't be true. All the stupid people are in California.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
08-28-2016 08:37 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
pupcamper Online

Advisory Members

People just don't take time to consider the consequences of their actions. Sadly, when fate thins out the gene pool, it is usually the driver who pays the piper.

08-28-2016 09:13 AM
garrettmcc Offline

Members

Machine: Phillips dreamstation
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Phillips Wisp
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 10
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

I take it you guys live in rural areas where pavements (sidewalks) are in short supply, I live in Rural Ireland we have the same lack of pavements and nobody goes walking without their hi-vis vest, they give them to the kids in school and tell them to wear them.
09-02-2016 09:54 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
pupcamper Online

Advisory Members

(09-02-2016 09:54 AM)garrettmcc Wrote:  I take it you guys live in rural areas where pavements (sidewalks) are in short supply, I live in Rural Ireland we have the same lack of pavements and nobody goes walking without their hi-vis vest, they give them to the kids in school and tell them to wear them.

I actually live in an urban area. The street is a two lane with a center turning lane. There is plenty of room to miss a walker in the street if you can see them and no one is in the turning lane. However, there is not room for a person in the road no matter how close they get to the curb if a vehicle is in the center of the traffic lane. This is a busy, major thoroughfare for this part of town. Most people will walk in the grass rather than in the road. The city, in typical fashion, decided to forego installing sidewalks when they widened the street, although sidewalks were one of the promises they made when we passed the tax referendum for the street reconstruction.

09-02-2016 08:14 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The Walking Dead AlanE 17 1,371 04-22-2016 09:13 AM
Last Post: 0rangebear
  Rant - Want to throw IPhone out the window 49er 12 1,118 01-02-2016 04:59 AM
Last Post: 49er