Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

A new beginners guide to sleeping with CPAP
A new beginners guide to sleeping with CPAP
I have put together a video tutorial for all those new to a CPAP and are struggling to adjust.

https://youtu.be/Ro6FAdYUAH0

Please everyone let me know what you think.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: A new beginners guide to sleeping with CPAP
G'day Fitmart. I have to applaud what you've set out to do with your video. it's really hard to cover the many questions a xPAP newbie will have, without either skimming too lightly over the subject matter, or else getting bogged down in detail. I think you've been guilty of both at times but the overall message has come through. Perhaps you could modify this video to serve as an introduction, then follow up with one or two more detailed topics?
Post Reply Post Reply
As a newbie myself, I thought the level of information was about right. Not so detailed or jargon-filled that I couldn't understand it, yet enough information to be useful.
Post Reply Post Reply
I enjoyed your video and think it covers some things pretty well. The section on a titration protocol is really conservative. Start at 5.0 and increase pressure 0.2 cm per night. Many people have a titrated pressure that should be given a chance to fail before making the decision to try self-titration, or an auto machine that can usually get to the right pressure pretty quickly, at which point the task shifts to optimization. That said, your method is virtually the definition of titration, as in chemistry; a slow addition of pressure until a targeted change occurs.

Good stuff, and should help new users that see it. Thanks!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hindsight, I could've broke it up into about three videos.  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2017, 10:42 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I enjoyed your video and think it covers some things pretty well.  The section on a titration protocol is really conservative. Start at 5.0 and increase pressure 0.2 cm per night. Many people have a titrated pressure that should be given a chance to fail before making the decision to try self-titration, or an auto machine that can usually get to the right pressure pretty quickly, at which point the task shifts to optimization.  That said, your method is virtually the definition of titration, as in chemistry; a slow addition of pressure until a targeted change occurs.

Good stuff, and should help new users that see it.  Thanks!

I actually use an APAP and the machine determined that I need over double my optimal pressure.  I first began experimenting with various pressures upping about 2.0 each time.  The results were all over the place.  So, being an Engineer I backed up and did it slowly.  This process did two things, 1. It helped me find the exact right pressure without a doubt.  2. My body originally couldn't handle a pressure above about 7 without bloating, headaches, and constant awakenings.  The slow titration eliminated this problem.  Thanks for all your input.
Post Reply Post Reply
Fitmart, we see on the forum, individuals that poorly tolerate pressure and whose machines seem to push to unreasonably high pressure. I saw on your video the early Sleepyhead results contained significant flow limitation which kept your pressure at the high-end of the set range. This is very common, but unlike you, many new members come here with a wide-open range on their auto machines. As a result they end up at pressures near 20 cm and all kinds of problems like aerophagia, a higher central apnea rate and discomfort. I have recommended significant reductions in the maximum pressure setting for many members, and it has a similar result to the method you used, the difference being, we work from the top down to see where OA reappears, then add small amounts back in. Your method simply starts from an ineffective low pressure and works up through effectiveness.

Your video was very interesting, and the methods should work either way. For someone with your level of experience, the insights are outstanding.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Enjoyed watching the video.  Definitely will help a newbie.  
Have you considered making additional videos maybe focusing on sleepyhead software examples?  Also explaining various cpap terms and techniques would be also helpful .  Sometimes easier to watch a video than reading articles.  
Great job!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your effort in trying to help people. I've never tried to make a video so I hesitate to critique.

I like the plug for Apnea Board and SleepyHead. The only thing that I would have done different is the Titration. I would first explain the difference between straight CPAP and Auto. Also I'd use 1 cm increases until it got close than drop down to .2 to fine tune it. It would speed up the process to getting there. But still there is nothing wrong with what you said. Just a matter of different approaches.

Good Job!
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-19-2017, 09:32 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Fitmart, we see on the forum, individuals that poorly tolerate pressure and whose machines seem to push to unreasonably high pressure.  I saw on your video the early Sleepyhead results contained significant flow limitation which kept your pressure at the high-end of the set range.  This is very common, but unlike you, many new members come here with a wide-open range on their auto machines.  As a result they end up at pressures near 20 cm and all kinds of problems like aerophagia, a higher central apnea rate and discomfort.  I have recommended significant reductions in the maximum pressure setting for many members, and it has a similar result to the method you used, the difference being, we work from the top down to see where OA reappears, then add small amounts back in.  Your method simply starts from an ineffective low pressure and works up through effectiveness.  

Your video was very interesting, and the methods should work either way.  For someone with your level of experience, the insights are outstanding.

Thankyou very much for your complimentary post.  (You are much kinder than those at Reddit/CPAP who say what I am doing is "dangerous and foolish".  I suffer from UARS and have narrow throat which is very common among those with UARS.  So, any forward bend of the head restricts the airflow.  So, the problem is not loose muscle, but structural in nature.  The APAP doesn't know the difference and can't raise the pressure enough to change structural problems.  I was given a 5-20 APAP.  And yes, I had about every issue you could have until I learned to take matters into my own hands.

Also, thanks for your insights on my flow limitations.  I didn't ever really look at that chart.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 981 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 813 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 203 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 250 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Still Having Trouble with Sleeping CcReesezzzzz01 7 458 02-13-2024, 01:39 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] Not been sleeping well, just installed SD card and oscar, please help SleepyGrumpy 2 228 02-04-2024, 07:36 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.