Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

A new wrinkle--big CSR event
RE: A new wrinkle--big CSR event
(08-17-2016, 04:17 PM)PoolQ Wrote: ........
That graph looks much better.....
Yeah, but why does the pressure shoot up like that before there's been even one event? Is that a Resmed thing? Inquiring Resperonics minds want to know. Unsure

We are such stuff
As dreams are made on, and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2016, 07:20 PM)rkl122 Wrote:
(08-17-2016, 04:17 PM)PoolQ Wrote: ........
That graph looks much better.....
Yeah, but why does the pressure shoot up like that before there's been even one event? Is that a Resmed thing? Inquiring Resperonics minds want to know. Unsure

The Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset responds rapidly to flow limitation and snores which are shown on the graph. This usually avoids the onset of OSA. Pressure decreases are a bit slower than increases, resulting in skewed pressure spikes. The Philips Respironics machines are slower to increase pressure, but use the same signals. On the other hand, the Respironics machines will "test" 1.5 cm pressure increases about every 15 minutes throughout the night, even without flow limits or snores resulting in a pressure chart chart that looks like it has regular pressure "spikes" and pressure decreases that seem to occur over equal time periods.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes a very good question and I have no idea. Wiser people than I must suggest a reason
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2016, 07:03 PM)green wings Wrote: II have seen advice to people from time to time suggesting they not sleep on their back. I don't understand the reasoning behind this if we have a CPAP machine to provide pressure to maintain our airway. Why not sleep in whatever position is most comfortable?

If you have more flow limitations sleeping on your back your pressure with ab APAP machine will have to go higher and you may well find that more than offsets the comfort of back sleeping. But then again we are all different.

And a straight pressure CPAP that treats your apnea when you sleep on your side might not do it effectively when you back sleep.

That said I sleep on my back, but not in a bed, in an easy chair with a raised back.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, comfort should come first, but one must consider the fact that when you are flat on your back, your airway is more prone to collapse. If you google Sleep Position and sleep Apnea, you will find many articles on the subject.

While on your back, and your airway starts to collapse, the machine recognizes this and will start to raise the pressure, and a spike in pressure can cause sleep disruptions.

For someone new to sleep apnea and having problems trying to get their AHI down due to a lot of obstructive events, then staying off their back as much as possible will help.

I also understand it's not easy advice to put into action. I have hip pain, and even though I start out on my side, I sometimes end up on my back because of that pain.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
While what OpalRose says is true, and in general I agree, my sleep Dr also says he'd prefer I sleep in a recliner in a semi-reclined form rather than on my side or back to help fight the COPD issues caused because of the chronic bronchitis.

I'm trying to save a few pennies so I can acquire a recliner as a medically required device this year so I can put it along with everything else onto my taxes...

Warning: Eating chocolate may cause your clothes to shrink!
[Image: ry6XtE9.gif] <---- That's ME!
Post Reply Post Reply
Lots of good discussion!

Experience has shown me that I just cant fall asleep on my side. I can get some sleep on my side after waking up and going back to sleep. I'll try tonight.

What still seems a mystery is why I get such a variance in AHI when using APAP. The range on CPAP seemed small in comparison.

I'm getting ready to turn in, Max bumped to 16--EPR turned on. We'll see what happens.

Dave

Post Reply Post Reply
can't wait to see the results
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey! Wake up! I'm waiting.... Smile:
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
SmileBigwinkI'm awake!!

I'm having trouble with my laptop at work. Let me try this on the gub'ment computer.

http://imgur.com/mtarOA5

This link isn't bringing up an image for me. It may be a firewall thing. Can anyone else see it?

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 402 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Question OSCAR: Cheyne Stokes listed in event summary list but can't find a single event eyeloveeyez 5 332 02-12-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: eok361
  CPAP sticks on higher pressure after Obstructive Apnea event AlanR 3 462 11-12-2023, 12:19 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  What is a 'Clear Airway' Event? dreamstream 13 16,369 08-29-2023, 08:09 AM
Last Post: nallac
  Cheyene Stokes event - first ever in 120 nights Willgetthere 2 512 08-27-2023, 02:11 AM
Last Post: Willgetthere
  [Diagnosis] Is this indicative of most events happening during REM? | What is a respiratory event Dire 4 555 08-08-2023, 03:18 PM
Last Post: Dire
  CA with arousal before event VS no arousal sleep2023 1 520 08-01-2023, 11:03 AM
Last Post: Sleepy Quixote

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.