Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

A newbie, my first night, and all these numbers...
RE: A newbie, my first night, and all these numbers...
A little bird named Bamasteve???

Robysue,

""middle to sort of largish" leaks'". I love it. Very scientific!

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-19-2014, 03:54 PM)robysue Wrote: To BamaSteve:
Just to be clear about what I've said: Chances are your leaks are just fine. But to be absolutely sure that your leaks are just fine, I'd need to know exactly what mask you are using (make and model) AND it would be useful to see the graph of the leak data from the Detailed Daily Data graphs in either Sleepy Head or Encore.

Man...adding photos in this forum isn't easy. I assume after I have more posts, these restrictions will go away?

Here's my graph...
[attachment=797]
Post Reply Post Reply
New question:

I rarely ever sleep with my mouth open. My wife stays awake until the wee hours of the morning...sometimes she's up until 4 or 5 in the morning. I asked her to watch me periodically and take note of anything unusual or out of character for me. She said she never once saw me sleeping with my mouth open.

so why at all hours of the night when I roll over and wake slightly is my mouth and throat so dry to the point of hurting? Is there a way to remedy that? Increase my humidifier level?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-19-2014, 03:30 PM)zonk Wrote: RERA Index: 0.86 ... RERA events are arousal don,t meet the criteria to be scored as apnea, everyone have them, nothing to worry about such a low number
One thing I just noticed while I was looking over my first night's info...6 of my 7 RERA events were almost all during my ramp up...between 11:30 and midnight...then I had one after 3:30am. Hey...that was the first time I had ever had the machine on. That sounds encouraging.

I had one Obstructive Apnea event and 2 Hypopnea events. Not sure what I just said, but that doesn't sound bad either. LOL
Post Reply Post Reply
Increase humidity helps add more moisture to the air that you breathe and helps the nose cope with the increased airflow.
When your mouth is open the air being pushed in through your nose is coming out your mouth and not holding your throat open

I suggest learn about your machine humidification options (system one, classic mode) and if your machine have the heated tube option

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2014, 12:32 AM)zonk Wrote: Increase humidity helps add more moisture to the air that you breathe and helps the nose cope with the increased airflow.
When your mouth is open the air being pushed in through your nose is coming out your mouth and not holding your throat open

I suggest learn about your machine humidification options (system one, classic mode) and if your machine have the heated tube option

I bumped up the humidifier level on notch to 4, and last night was perfect. No dry mouth.

In fact, all my numbers, at least from what I can tell, improved last night. Leaks went down too.

So...out of all of these graphs and numbers we get from SleepyHead, which ones should I focus on the most, and which ones aren't that important to me?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2014, 07:28 AM)BamaSteve Wrote: So...out of all of these graphs and numbers we get from SleepyHead, which ones should I focus on the most, and which ones aren't that important to me?
The most important things to focus on are:

AHI and the events table. How many events are you having, what kind of events, and are they clustered.

Leak graph and median and 90% or 95% leak rates. You don't need them to be perfect, but you want to keep an eye on them. If the leaks start to get seriously out of control, you can't trust any of the other data.

How do you feel? data The whole point of PAPing is to improve the quality of your daily life at the same time as minimizing the affect of untreated OSA on your long term health. If you're feeling good, the AHI < 5, and the leaks are under control, then PAPing is doing it's job.

All other data is "icing on the cake".
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2014, 07:28 AM)BamaSteve Wrote: So...out of all of these graphs and numbers we get from SleepyHead, which ones should I focus on the most, and which ones aren't that important to me?
For me, usage is the most important
I feel good with 6 hours and over, 7 hours and over ... over the moon

Of course AHI and leaks are important as well as 'how you feel'
Feeling better on PAP is good indication that PAP-therapy is working
But then, every day is different, expect to have some good days and some bad days but all in all is all good
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm still waiting to feel better during the day...as I said in my first post, I have a pulled muscle in my back that keeps nagging me at night, causing me to wake often from pain in my back and shoulder. I can't get comfortable after about 3 or 4 hours in bed...I start tossing and turning often, so I don't get that good, uninterrupted sleep. Not yet. But, I'm better every day. Maybe tonight will be the magical night.

Last night (night 3 on the machine) I thought I would have had a lot of leaks, as I seemed to be adjusting my mask more than the previous two nights, but...all in all, my numbers were still good and leaks were right in line with what I had experienced the first two nights. My AHI went up, but was still only 1.09. I found out from my DME rep (who called to check on me today) that my AHI during my sleep study was over 40. I'd day that was remarkable improvement. I've used the machine all three nights from the time I laid down until my alarm went off...which is always at least 7 hours. So my usage is good. I did have my first recorded CA...three events last night.

My wife has noticed one thing that worried her the first night...she identifies the sounds the machine makes, and when I'm breathing, I sound like a very weak Darth Vader. There was one incident each night where the machine sounded like it was making a long steady pitch, and I didn't seem to be breathing. Then I would "catch my breath" (not quite a "gasp" but close) and return to normal. All I can figure is that she just witnessed an OA?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-21-2014, 07:21 PM)BamaSteve Wrote: My wife has noticed one thing that worried her............. All I can figure is that she just witnessed an OA?

Maybe. But she need not be worried about that. You're being well taken care of now. Not before perhaps, but now! So even though you have a few events a night, it's not a big deal. In fact, it's a very big deal that you do only have a few events every night.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 386 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 121 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 133 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 192 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 204 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 484 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 268 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.