Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

A newbie needs some direction, please...
A newbie needs some direction, please...
Greetings: it is obvious from scanning over threads that my problems aren't unique but thought I would summarize my two month journey with bipap and ask a couple of questions. I think this therapy will be a great thing for me but is not there yet.

**My internist's nurse practitioner ordered sleep study and after getting results and diagnosis of "moderate complex sleep apnea" prescribed bipap with backup rate at high pressure (18/15 but not sure) Seems "complex" means I have both obstructive and "central" apnea.
**The DME won't give me data and only sends it to doc (NP) when I ask.
**NP admits not knowing how to adequately read and interpret it
**MyAir (Resmed program) tells me a few things but the only clinical info is my total events per hour. They range from 2 to 6 per hour
**Had big trouble with aerophagia (sp?) so NP moved pressure down to 15/11 (i think) and things got much better. Have GERD so that is probably making things worse. Also, learned to keep mouth closed.
**Lots of problems with nasal congestion and treating best I can BUT even when nasal passage seems OK for breathing the high pressure seems to tend to close them up some. Is that possible?
**Is making a dry eye condition worse.

Questions:
* Do i need to find a good sleep doctor? Local info says I will have to go a long distance. It seems that an internist and NP making decisions about treating "complex" sleep apnea seems inadequate.
*Do I need to obtain software to see what is going on? If so, are there recommended software for my brand/model?

Sorry for length of this but if any of you can kindly point me in the directions of more info within the forum, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: A newbie needs some direction, please...
Hi Lynn. I am new to xPAP use and this board, but I have plenty of experience dealing with dry eyes. I use Restasis, which helps enormously, but the first xPAP mask I tried vented air right at my eyes and lips. How dumb a design is that? I use a mask now that vents the air to the side and am not having any problems with it affecting my eyes.

Another option is a sleep mask, if there's room for one to fit along with your mask.

I'm guessing that you probably already use some of the drops/gels for severely dry eyes.

Before I got a different mask, I was getting ready to try tying a scarf over my eyes or even eye patches.

This is a great user forum and the best source I've found for advice about xPAP therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
first off Welcome, you are in a good place.
get sleephead software (free), links at the top of the forum. This will help a lot. there are many great people here that can help look at the sleephead plots and give advice.

I would go this path before finding a sleep doc, maybe just me, but you will get some really good suggestions right here.
Post Reply Post Reply
Lynnb, the Sleepyhead software will work with your Aircurve 10 ST http://www.sleepfiles.com/SH2/

This will provide you with full efficacy data and really let you narrow down where the problems lie. Chances are very good that you can get the help you need on the forum to optimize your settings to minimize aerophagia and events with your machine. First step is going to be to get the software, then learn to organize the data http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization so you can post screenshot attachments or links to let other members see the data.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-21-2016, 03:52 PM)green wings Wrote: Hi Lynn. I am new to xPAP use and this board, but I have plenty of experience dealing with dry eyes. I use Restasis, which helps enormously, but the first xPAP mask I tried vented air right at my eyes and lips. How dumb a design is that? I use a mask now that vents the air to the side and am not having any problems with it affecting my eyes.

Another option is a sleep mask, if there's room for one to fit along with your mask.

I'm guessing that you probably already use some of the drops/gels for severely dry eyes.

Before I got a different mask, I was getting ready to try tying a scarf over my eyes or even eye patches.

This is a great user forum and the best source I've found for advice about xPAP therapy.

Thanks a bunch! Actually, my eyes don't feel dry but they feel a little oily and at times gummy--optometrist calls it blepharitus--and it affects my vision. He says says the additional airflow is making it worse so i will compare masks and look for one that vents away from the eyes more. Hopefully, if i can get a pressure reduction that will help too. Thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-21-2016, 03:59 PM)PoolQ Wrote: first off Welcome, you are in a good place.
get sleephead software (free), links at the top of the forum. This will help a lot. there are many great people here that can help look at the sleephead plots and give advice.

I would go this path before finding a sleep doc, maybe just me, but you will get some really good suggestions right here.

That sounds great! I do better with more facts. I will see what the software says and go from there. Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 390 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 134 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 193 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 206 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 489 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 273 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 298 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.