Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

A night that was not the best. Help w/Oscar
A night that was not the best. Help w/Oscar
Hello!

Two nights ago I had an AHI of .6 and a good night. Last night, my AHI was higher (still low) during a longer sleep period and I feel really out of it. I know part of that is from staying in bed so long, but I know I had a lot of weird dreams and I tend to have more events during REM. I see my tidal volume went up to 700 at one point. I know every night can't be the same, but I seem to have had each type of event last night. 

Thanks for looking. Any advice would be appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: A night that was not the best. Help w/Oscar
The difference between 0.6 and 1.25 is insignificant.
I'm more interested in your diminished breathing at the start of this view. Compare that to what I believe is your more normal breathing at the end.
How prevalent is that diminished breathing, how long was it and did it repeat at other times.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, thanks for responding. I am concerned too. Here are two other shots from the night. Any help would be appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
And here is another night where I see diminished breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, are my minute vent and tidal volume low? Sorry, I do not know how to read these reports yet.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your volumes look ok but this is without knowing either your sex or size. That makes a critical evaluation impossible.

Your charts are all zoomed. That too makes it very hard to make a critical evaluation. Zoom in a bit tighter on an apnea event and I can conclude that you are not breathing and therefore are dead. Absurd yes, but that is why the full night views are so important. They provide context.

Low values, and high values as well only say look deeper,. You need more evaluation. By themselves they are meaningless. That is one reason why we look at events per hour and not number of events.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, thanks. I am going to upload the whole night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is the full night. 
I am female, 5'4", 52 years old. I do have diastolic dysfunction, most likely caused by untreated apnea for many years. So this also effects my breathing when lying flat, so I sleep with the head of my bed raised so I can breathe better. I can no longer sleep on my side, because it seems to cause too much venous return and my heart can't pump the blood through fast enough. Just some history that may help. THANK YOU!
Post Reply Post Reply
I would like you to try EPR=3.
Please let us know which feels better.

Just before your awakenings there is a slight rise in your flow limits, nothing bad. Raining EPR to see if smoothing those out helps with your awakenings. Since your numbers are so good we shift to noting how you feel to measure effectiveness so please be critical.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I will try raising the EPR. I think I tried it at 3 in the beginning, but my pressure was lower, so I think I woke up with shortness of breath. I think that may have been before I was sleeping sitting up, so it could be the heart issue too. I will try it tonight and see what happens. I really appreciate your advice. I know my numbers are good and I am feeling so much better than I did prior to cpap, but sometimes I wake up feeling like I did not have a good night. I also think things get worse in REM and I have been dreaming a lot these days. 
Thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night CPAP + OSCAR data Ostrich 0 20 2 hours ago
Last Post: Ostrich
  First night done, now what? (OSCAR data attached) Stephaniea0213 5 148 03-20-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 160 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
  Irregular flow rate 3 or 4 times a night showing in OSCAR Provolone 4 411 02-21-2024, 09:50 AM
Last Post: Provolone
  First night results from Oscar BobFromAccounting 7 397 02-10-2024, 02:30 PM
Last Post: glenncol
  OSCAR - computing stats for subsection of night confinedmind 6 417 01-07-2024, 01:43 AM
Last Post: paulag1955
Question Help interpreting Oscar date from first night Keicereal 2 350 12-04-2023, 08:04 AM
Last Post: Keicereal

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.