Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

A problem I think is stupid.
Gross 
A problem I think is stupid.
I have now been using a CPAP for 5 years, and I'm now entitled to a new machine. (Gov't ADP will buy a new machine every 5 years)

Here's the issue: We are allowed to purchase a machine every 5 years. The Government ADP will put up to $768 toward the purchase. I don't use nor have I ever used the humidifier. My full face mask is just fine as I replace individual parts as they break.

I go to a local CPAP supplier and they insist I purchase the CPAP machine, the humidifier and a mask for a total of over $2000 of which ADP will pay $768 and I then have to pay the rest because they tell me I can't apply for ADP if I don't buy the whole enchilada.

BUT.. if I only buy a CPAP machine at $750 the ADP would pay all of it but the supplier won't do the paperwork for the ADP because I didn't buy the set. How stupid is this??? Is my supplier a liar.

Does anyone know anyway around this???

Input please.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: A problem I think is stupid.
(01-17-2013, 07:15 PM)snuffles Wrote: BUT.. if I only buy a CPAP machine at $750 the ADP would pay all of it but the supplier won't do the paperwork for the ADP because I didn't buy the set.
can you do the paper work yourself
just get the machine from them and buy the humidifier on-line
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

whats ADP stand for and machine are we talking about

Post Reply Post Reply
Oh.. ADP Assistive Devices Program. A Government program to assist folks with the cost of all kinds of devices like CPAP machines.

I don't want the humidifier at all. I just want a CPAP machine. I'm not allowed to submit on my own it must be through a certified vendor. So in order to get the financial assistance I MUST purchase items I will never use and pay the difference. Typical when the Government sticks their fingers in.
By the way there's a bug in this system. When I attempted to reply to you I get an error:

"Not allowed use clickable links in this board" but it's the link in your quote.
Post Reply Post Reply
Then find another vendor who will work with you. Ask the insurance for a list of vendors and hit the phone.

Supplier #2 on the supplier's list Zonk mentioned sells used and open box machines with or without the humidifier. So it is possible. That other supplier is just being greedy.

Whatever you get, you want a data capable device. Don't get any Respironics that has the word "Plus" in the name or a ResMed that has "Escape" in the name.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi snuffles and WELCOME! to the forum.!
Best of luck to you on your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2013, 07:51 PM)snuffles Wrote: Oh.. ADP Assistive Devices Program. A Government program to assist folks with the cost of all kinds of devices like CPAP machines.

Ah. A Canadian term, eh? I guess our friends to the south are as familiar with our terms as we are with theirs Grin

Quote:I don't want the humidifier at all. I just want a CPAP machine. I'm not allowed to submit on my own it must be through a certified vendor.

WTF? Oh-jeez Even I got the H5i humidifier as an "add-on" and from what I understood it was optional. I got it because.... well, because I COULD Cool otherwise I'd pass it up if it was extra too.
See if there's another vendor in town because from what I've learned by my recent pain-in-the-butt adventure is that they are in it for themselves and are more interested in a quick sale than they are at actually being helpful. That's why they dumped me off with an S9 Escape (brick) and I didn't know any better at the time. Then they said if I want an AutoSet I'd need a prescription specifying this. When I got it they still tried to give me a hard time. By that time I set my own pressure (and I told them flat out) so there was plenty of time to talk about - other things. I had to get it through to them that:

- I needed an AutoSet because my pressure proved to be variable based on a temporary use of an S8 AutoSet model.
- I can't possibly chart any progress with an "Escape" model
- I now had a prescription for it
- ADP hadn't processed the original claim anyhow
- ResMed themselves told me that they'd honour an exchange

They couldn't argue these points with me. It seems you have to get the upper hand, find all the facts you can and approach your supplier armed and dangerous. It seems the only way some will listen.

Now, I won't be satisfied until I have the AutoSet in my hot little hands but everything is working so far. Oh, and now that I know that my supplier isn't the only one in town, I will find some other place after this mess is settled. Hopefully there's another place for you to check out. Assuming you are (as it seems) in Canada, try places like ProResp and MediChair, each as one word or two, it'll show up in a search. Undoubtedly there are others but they are at least a few examples.

Post Reply Post Reply
See if you can file a complaint with ADP. They may have some requirements that the DME be willing to sell you the correct CPAP.

Does your prescription mention a humidifier and mask? If so, it might help to get a prescription that only mentions the CPAP machine, or specifies CPAP machine only, no humidifier.

Also, look for online ratings services like yelp, google maps, or other places you can file a bad review about for the DME.

There's also a "ripoffreport" site you can post to.

I do agree it's important to get the right machine. Check the recommended cpap machine link in my signature line.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2013, 10:40 PM)Ugly Wrote:
(01-17-2013, 07:51 PM)snuffles Wrote: Oh.. ADP Assistive Devices Program. A Government program to assist folks with the cost of all kinds of devices like CPAP machines.

Ah. A Canadian term, eh? I guess our friends to the south are as familiar with our terms as we are with theirs Grin

Quote:I don't want the humidifier at all. I just want a CPAP machine. I'm not allowed to submit on my own it must be through a certified vendor.

WTF? Oh-jeez Even I got the H5i humidifier as an "add-on" and from what I understood it was optional. I got it because.... well, because I COULD Cool otherwise I'd pass it up if it was extra too.
See if there's another vendor in town because from what I've learned by my recent pain-in-the-butt adventure is that they are in it for themselves and are more interested in a quick sale than they are at actually being helpful. That's why they dumped me off with an S9 Escape (brick) and I didn't know any better at the time. Then they said if I want an AutoSet I'd need a prescription specifying this. When I got it they still tried to give me a hard time. By that time I set my own pressure (and I told them flat out) so there was plenty of time to talk about - other things. I had to get it through to them that:

- I needed an AutoSet because my pressure proved to be variable based on a temporary use of an S8 AutoSet model.
- I can't possibly chart any progress with an "Escape" model
- I now had a prescription for it
- ADP hadn't processed the original claim anyhow
- ResMed themselves told me that they'd honour an exchange

They couldn't argue these points with me. It seems you have to get the upper hand, find all the facts you can and approach your supplier armed and dangerous. It seems the only way some will listen.

Now, I won't be satisfied until I have the AutoSet in my hot little hands but everything is working so far. Oh, and now that I know that my supplier isn't the only one in town, I will find some other place after this mess is settled. Hopefully there's another place for you to check out. Assuming you are (as it seems) in Canada, try places like ProResp and MediChair, each as one word or two, it'll show up in a search. Undoubtedly there are others but they are at least a few examples.

When I purchased my first machine I took what they gave me. Didn't know any better but after 5 years I've learned a lot. While some may need the humidifier I don't and didn't like to wet air. I've sent in a request for clarification to ADP on the purchase. It will take then 6 months to answer probably... but this needs cleaning up. Why pay for what I don't need.

I really can't remember what the prescription states... it's been so long.

I've also asked some suppliers what their understanding of ADP rules is. Now I just have to wait for an answer.
Post Reply Post Reply
I finally received not only an answer but a phone call from ADP Assistive Devices Program and they tell me I only need to purchase what I require based on the prescription. If I don't want an item like a humidifier I don't need to buy it. They also wanted the name of the supplier who told me I had to buy it all so they could "enlighten" them as to the requirements.

I suspect these stores just say you have to take it all as a way to sell you more than you require so they make more profit.

So now I'm searching for a new machine AND ONLY A MACHINE.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am curious. Where is Kingston, is it Jamaica?
If they sell you just the machine you want for $768, there is limited profit. If they sell you a CPAP (brick) plus humidifier and mask (total value~$1200) for $2,000, They have added at least $800 to their bottom line. I have no idea why they would want to do that.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,583 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,352 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,475 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 333 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Is my leak rate a problem? Kevstuf 5 552 02-08-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Kevstuf
  If nasal congestion is a problem, will this show in my AHI? canigetawitness1992 4 393 01-29-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: RNeil
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 231 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.