Mask Make & Model: Resmed Quatro
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 17
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Retired - No Kids - No responsibilities

Sex: Male
Location: Summer-Cruising the lake and Winter- Hiding in Kingston

RE: A problem I think is stupid.
My understanding is that our original RX is valid for life. My own Sleep theropy Dr. always keeps in touch on a monthly basis so can always step up if needed. I have never had to reproduce a new RX for new equipment.

(08-20-2014 05:30 PM)Ghandi Wrote:  
(08-20-2014 05:08 PM)Canadian_Jesus Wrote:  
(01-17-2013 10:40 PM)Ugly Wrote:  . Assuming you are (as it seems) in Canada, try places like ProResp and MediChair, each as one word or two, it'll show up in a search. Undoubtedly there are others but they are at least a few examples.

I use Royal Pro Resp in Barrie, they have always been good to me. From the outset, with my Ontario Works medical benefits, they set me up with an S9 Elite, at zero cost to me. The representative told me in her own words that it was a top of the line machine that I can get plenty of interesting data from. The only problem I had with them was when I needed to order a new mask, which they didn't have in stock and it took over a month to come in.

Hey ...since there are a couple of us fellow canucks, i was wondering, do we need an rx to buy a new machine after the first one dies. Or the first precription and diagnostic is always valid?

Thank you
08-21-2014 11:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Ghandi Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: RemStar Pro with C-Flex+Philips Respironics System One
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: airfit p10(resmed)
Humidifier: systeme one humidifier with humidity set at 3 and heat set at 1
CPAP Pressure: 8
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Thanks a lot snuffle Smile
08-21-2014 08:52 PM
PolarBear1 Offline

New Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Auto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 8-20
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Hello,
I just moved to Canada last year, and recently visited a local DME in British Columbia. I was told the CPAP prescription was only valid for a year for the purchase of a machine. The insurance company is happy with validation every 5 years for masks and supplies, but that I will need a new prescription next year if I need to purchase a new machine. I wonder if it varies by province?
08-22-2014 02:07 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Ghandi Offline

Preferred Members-2

Other Comments:

(08-22-2014 02:07 PM)PolarBear1 Wrote:  Hello,
I just moved to Canada last year, and recently visited a local DME in British Columbia. I was told the CPAP prescription was only valid for a year for the purchase of a machine. The insurance company is happy with validation every 5 years for masks and supplies, but that I will need a new prescription next year if I need to purchase a new machine. I wonder if it varies by province?

It could vary from province to province because health care is a provincial competency.

here is what a found on an online cpap store in canada.

"I have an old prescription. May I still use it?
Prescriptions may be written for "Lifetime Need" or "99 Months". Such a prescription may be used for the prescribed equipment as often as needed to continue therapy. If a prescription notes a number of refills, it will be valid to dispense the listed equipment the number of times shown on the prescription. If a prescription bears an expiration date, the prescription is good through the date shown. If you are not sure about the validity of a prescription, send it to us and we will determine its condition."

It all depends on how your prescription is done. On mine there is no expiration date nor refill numbers. I,m sure that cpap store would take it anyday.
08-22-2014 06:04 PM
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

Lifetime need or 99 months? Oh dear........ That would make me feel so "temporary................"
08-22-2014 06:22 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Ghandi Offline

Preferred Members-2

Other Comments:

I'm sure a puppy would ease the pain Wink
08-22-2014 08:10 PM
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Or increase it!
08-22-2014 09:29 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

Hi PolarBear1,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I don't know the answer to your question. Hang in there and Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.

trish6hundred
08-22-2014 09:31 PM
snuffles Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Elite
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Quatro
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 17
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Retired - No Kids - No responsibilities

Location: Summer-Cruising the lake and Winter- Hiding in Kingston

If an RX expires it only takes a phone call to the doctor to renew it. Simple...

If the medical in BC is like my experience with ICBC when I was there then God help you.

Unfortunately Health Care is Province by Province. Some do a better job than others. I've had no problems here in Ontario with my RX as considered a lifetime RX. The one thing I have discovered however is the suppliers are dishonest in demanding you buy the entire suite or they won't submit to Govt. Payment. It's a lie. I've gone through this in another thread. In the end I've had better luck buying supplies on eBay and from other mail order firms. As for machines I check Kijiji to find lightly used machines or as with my current machine I bought new at an auction for $400. Here we are entities to a new machine every 5 years but it's such a hassle dealing with these dishonest dealers it's easier to go it alone.

(08-22-2014 06:04 PM)Ghandi Wrote:  

It could vary from province to province because health care is a provincial competency.

here is what a found on an online cpap store in canada.

"I have an old prescription. May I still use it?
Prescriptions may be written for "Lifetime Need" or "99 Months". Such a prescription may be used for the prescribed equipment as often as needed to continue therapy. If a prescription notes a number of refills, it will be valid to dispense the listed equipment the number of times shown on the prescription. If a prescription bears an expiration date, the prescription is good through the date shown. If you are not sure about the validity of a prescription, send it to us and we will determine its condition."

It all depends on how your prescription is done. On mine there is no expiration date nor refill numbers. I,m sure that cpap store would take it anyday.
10-05-2014 10:41 AM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Problem with DreamWear Mask Judy1843 5 274 11-30-2016 04:03 AM
Last Post: holden4th
  New User Problem with BiPAP AVAPS - Part 1 jmayer180 35 1,272 11-27-2016 09:50 AM
Last Post: jmayer180
  Totally Confused by Airsense 10 Data - Centrals - Problem machine... ? mymontreal 20 988 11-20-2016 08:07 AM
Last Post: Rcgop
  ResMed Airsense 10 Setting Date Problem Reuven Gruber 6 292 11-16-2016 04:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 16 3,230 11-12-2016 02:51 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
Gross RERA Problem SideSleeper 24 1,003 11-02-2016 04:11 AM
Last Post: holden4th
  [Pressure] Problem exhaling unofon 18 841 10-24-2016 02:55 PM
Last Post: BadGoodDeb