Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

A problem I think is stupid.
RE: A problem I think is stupid.
My understanding is that our original RX is valid for life. My own Sleep theropy Dr. always keeps in touch on a monthly basis so can always step up if needed. I have never had to reproduce a new RX for new equipment.

(08-20-2014, 05:30 PM)Ghandi Wrote:
(08-20-2014, 05:08 PM)Canadian_Jesus Wrote:
(01-17-2013, 10:40 PM)Ugly Wrote: . Assuming you are (as it seems) in Canada, try places like ProResp and MediChair, each as one word or two, it'll show up in a search. Undoubtedly there are others but they are at least a few examples.

I use Royal Pro Resp in Barrie, they have always been good to me. From the outset, with my Ontario Works medical benefits, they set me up with an S9 Elite, at zero cost to me. The representative told me in her own words that it was a top of the line machine that I can get plenty of interesting data from. The only problem I had with them was when I needed to order a new mask, which they didn't have in stock and it took over a month to come in.

Hey ...since there are a couple of us fellow canucks, i was wondering, do we need an rx to buy a new machine after the first one dies. Or the first precription and diagnostic is always valid?

Thank you

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks a lot snuffle Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello,
I just moved to Canada last year, and recently visited a local DME in British Columbia. I was told the CPAP prescription was only valid for a year for the purchase of a machine. The insurance company is happy with validation every 5 years for masks and supplies, but that I will need a new prescription next year if I need to purchase a new machine. I wonder if it varies by province?

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-22-2014, 02:07 PM)PolarBear1 Wrote: Hello,
I just moved to Canada last year, and recently visited a local DME in British Columbia. I was told the CPAP prescription was only valid for a year for the purchase of a machine. The insurance company is happy with validation every 5 years for masks and supplies, but that I will need a new prescription next year if I need to purchase a new machine. I wonder if it varies by province?

It could vary from province to province because health care is a provincial competency.

here is what a found on an online cpap store in canada.

"I have an old prescription. May I still use it?
Prescriptions may be written for "Lifetime Need" or "99 Months". Such a prescription may be used for the prescribed equipment as often as needed to continue therapy. If a prescription notes a number of refills, it will be valid to dispense the listed equipment the number of times shown on the prescription. If a prescription bears an expiration date, the prescription is good through the date shown. If you are not sure about the validity of a prescription, send it to us and we will determine its condition."

It all depends on how your prescription is done. On mine there is no expiration date nor refill numbers. I,m sure that cpap store would take it anyday.
Post Reply Post Reply
Lifetime need or 99 months? Oh dear........ That would make me feel so "temporary................"
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm sure a puppy would ease the pain Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
Or increase it!

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi PolarBear1,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I don't know the answer to your question. Hang in there and Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
If an RX expires it only takes a phone call to the doctor to renew it. Simple...

If the medical in BC is like my experience with ICBC when I was there then God help you.

Unfortunately Health Care is Province by Province. Some do a better job than others. I've had no problems here in Ontario with my RX as considered a lifetime RX. The one thing I have discovered however is the suppliers are dishonest in demanding you buy the entire suite or they won't submit to Govt. Payment. It's a lie. I've gone through this in another thread. In the end I've had better luck buying supplies on eBay and from other mail order firms. As for machines I check Kijiji to find lightly used machines or as with my current machine I bought new at an auction for $400. Here we are entities to a new machine every 5 years but it's such a hassle dealing with these dishonest dealers it's easier to go it alone.

(08-22-2014, 06:04 PM)Ghandi Wrote:

It could vary from province to province because health care is a provincial competency.

here is what a found on an online cpap store in canada.

"I have an old prescription. May I still use it?
Prescriptions may be written for "Lifetime Need" or "99 Months". Such a prescription may be used for the prescribed equipment as often as needed to continue therapy. If a prescription notes a number of refills, it will be valid to dispense the listed equipment the number of times shown on the prescription. If a prescription bears an expiration date, the prescription is good through the date shown. If you are not sure about the validity of a prescription, send it to us and we will determine its condition."

It all depends on how your prescription is done. On mine there is no expiration date nor refill numbers. I,m sure that cpap store would take it anyday.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,572 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,333 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,472 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 333 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Is my leak rate a problem? Kevstuf 5 551 02-08-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Kevstuf
  If nasal congestion is a problem, will this show in my AHI? canigetawitness1992 4 392 01-29-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: RNeil
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 229 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.