Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

A question about clear airway
A question about clear airway
I understand that a Clear Airway event is when "your brain forgets to tell you to breathe". And it should be a period of at least 10 seconds, as I learned from messages on this very helpful forum.

I am occasionally seeing a few, and some of them, if not most of them, appear during the time when I am still fully awake. Since it is not too many at all, just a couple here and there, with my AHI numbers being below 1, I don't think I should be paying attention to those.

However, I just wonder how are these triggered to begin with. It is hard to believe that I am not breathing for more than 10 seconds, while fully awake. Is it maybe a result of me coughing, because I know I did a few times, while awake?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: A question about clear airway
I have a habit of holding my breath when turning over in bed and a CA is often flagged.
I also catch myself holding my breath at other times of the day, even just watching something on TV.
It's something we do while awake and not even realize it.

They are meaningless, and especially with an AHI <1.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: A question about clear airway
Thank you, OpalRose.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,395 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  First Day with S9 AutoSet - Many Clear Airway in the morning liuzilong 6 121 03-18-2024, 09:25 PM
Last Post: liuzilong
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 117 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  Clear airway Bullabill 3 235 03-12-2024, 02:40 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Why does my clear airway events keep increasing? deirdrepen 3 267 03-12-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Treatment] Struggling to reduce Clear Airway events codebread 6 901 02-23-2024, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  String of open airway events vinegarben 34 3,896 02-16-2024, 05:18 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.