Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

A question for the cpap ladies
A question for the cpap ladies
Hiya Cpap Ladies, (and any actual gentlemen who read this and behave as such)

So I was looking at my original sleep study and what it said about postural episodes.

I always knew I didn't sleep on back much so I guess I didn't pay much attention to anything but that number.

Well my numbers posturally were

Position time spent in position and AHI in each.
Supine (back) 7.7 percent 6.6
prone (front) 40.0 percent 24.3
Left 0.6 89.4
right 39.6 35.6

Now I know that this is only so helpful because of the short numbers of time on left and back. And dependent perhaps on time of sleep ie in rem not in rem etc.

But this and my experience says, I've got nearly the opposite postural indications of the avg apnea patient.

I am nearly unable to sleep on back, certainly not to fall asleep on it, though I'd be glad to try harder.

I know weight loss is indicated for many and yet I know in hindsight, I had apnea at my best adult weight, 12 years ago. (40 lbs less than now...thank YOU menopause and back injury..sigh)

I think based on this, and my knowledge of my own anatomy, I think that a significant contributing factor is..how to delicately put it, um...lady type endowments? (I am a manse HEN after all)

The problem here is, that I don't lose or gain weight quickly in the "endowments" and so while a enormous weight loss might make an apnea difference, I'm glad I didn't hold out for "oh I'll 'just' lose weight" as an answer. Treat first, lose later!

I actually sat here thinking, "would I consider a reduction mamoplasty" for apnea sake? (if I knew it would fix me forever, maybe but even then, major surgury etc, but note to self, If I had to have lady surgery for breast cancer, I'd give it a definite consideration)

Any women out there have this issue, had surgery etc? Anyone know of any studies?

Anyone know of a way to make oneself not sleep on side, only front and back? Pretty sure that's not a possibility...what...sharp tacks on each side and a flip over vs roll over move?

The issue with the "chest" isn't the weight of the endowments pressing on lungs, it's that their fluidity when arms crossed or on side, makes for clevage that climbs toward the neck (The lady pap-ers will likely get this concept)

I've wondered in past would sleeping in a bustenhalter would help, but I think not because it doesn't control that tightly.

In the old days, when a woman had to stop nursing, they used to do this awful footbinding like procedure to help with pain and milk drying up, wherein they'd strap firmly the chest. Perhaps I need to be a mammary mummy?

Ps...I just did a cursory check and binding is not an option for many health reasons.

Anyone who has genteel, polite, suggestions...glad to hear them.

The Manse Hen, apparently mostly white meat.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: A question for the cpap ladies
As a well-endowed chick myself, I must say that I've never had a problem with my breasts attributing to my sleep apnea.

I tend to sleep in very ergonomic positions. When I sleep on my back, I on an incline. Shoulders and neck supported, back supported from mid-back upward, several pillows from hips on down. On my side, I have a body pillow from chin to shin, keeping my shoulders and hips supported; my head is supported to keep my neck aligned; an extra pillow is between my knees and sometimes I am hugging another one to further help the shoulders.

Even without that though, I don't see how the breast material would be adding to the weight of the other stuff in the throat that is collapsing and causing an apnea event. It isn't high enough. And it would have to collapse the trachea, too, which is a bigger problem than a simple apnea event! Obstructive apnea is in the material in the back of the throat and the material at the top (and bottom of sinus/nose area). Material meaning fat, tissue, muscles. So a breast pressing against that area isn't going to contribute to that.

How do you think yours is interfering?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hiya Paula,
I'm going to answer that one in a PM. Thanks for the response.
The Hen.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okee dokee.

I admire your ability to sleep on your stomach.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I admire YOUR ability to sleep on your back!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ManseHen,
Ok, I have read your post several times and trying to read between the lines. I know I read in one of your other posts that you sleep on your stomach, and my first thought was ...how can anyone sleep on stomach and be comfortable? Now I can see that you have had a back injury. I also thought that maby all your mask issues had to do with sleeping on stomach. Even though you use nasal pillows, your prone position probably causes that mask to move.
Now onto the "endowment" problem...and a problem it is! I should know because I suffer the same. Even losing weight doesn't relieve the pressure and pain that large breasts cause. I know that there are women out there who would say...stop complaining...I wish I had those. But seriously, you suffer a lot of back and shoulder pain. It's like carrying two twenty pound babies around all day. With that said, I always thought it contributed to sleep problems because it seems more weight on your chest than necessary equals less sleep if that makes any sense. I agree that when sleeping on side, it pushes the breast tissue upwards and is uncomfortable. I have found a position for me that works...half on side and partially on back with head sort of between side and up so my mask doesn't get pushed.
When I was examined by my sleep doc/Pulmonogist, he of course commented on my weight, but he also said the weight on my chest would make it harder to sleep, and to be sure my bed was elevated.
But no, I am not brave enough to consider any kind of breast reduction surgery, nor do I know anyone who has. Like you say though, if it were a cancer issue, then probably.
I don't know what the answer is; because of your back, it is more of a problem for you than most. Hopefully, someone out there can shed more light on this subject.
I thank you that you have the courage to bring up a topic that many wound find uncomfortable discussing.
Hope your day goes well.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tongue retaining device with cpap question blancobonzo 1 973 02-21-2024, 07:20 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New CPAP user Question mcast10 2 290 01-07-2024, 10:59 AM
Last Post: mcast10
  Was there a question about hackers accessing your CPAP machine. I am experiencing thi DBlake 2 495 12-24-2023, 08:31 AM
Last Post: StratCat48
  [CPAP] Question about cpap/bipap prescription UARS tugboatxd 9 982 11-09-2023, 02:00 AM
Last Post: meatwagon42
  Question about reliability of the CPAP data zynsa 4 659 08-02-2023, 05:50 PM
Last Post: zynsa
  Quick Question - Worth Buying ASV If Tweaking CPAP Isn't Working? Apnea23 3 638 04-18-2023, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP function question - basic stuff... Mandrake 11 1,184 01-10-2023, 12:02 PM
Last Post: Mandrake

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.