Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

A question or two from a newbie
A question or two from a newbie
Just got my machine a week or two ago. I've noticed a strange occurance, in that, when I wake up the inside of my mouth is like I've been eating paste. I know it's nasty, but it's like muck mouth but worse. Is this common? My oral hygiene is impeccable so it's probably not that and I was told to clean my mask every day so I do. I only use distilled water in my humidifier and have it turned all the way up. Also, I go to work at 12:30 AM and usually don't get a full 8 hours; maybe 5 or 6. I know 8 is normal, but is it still OK to get less? Thanks, everyone!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: A question or two from a newbie
Hi Jethro, First of all, Welcome! to the forum. One thing you might try is to turn your humidity down one notch an see if that would help you. Best of luck to you and keep checking back into the forum as there will be other suggestions for you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome Jethro...Well, yes.. some inovative Physician decided many years ago that 8 hours was to be deemed the " gold standard" of time for sleep. Most of us alter that time frame quite a bit to meet our own comfort and accessability. Give or take a hour or two either way, as long as you are healthy and rested, then it must be right for you. I realize that our occupations may require our sleep patterns and times to be fragmentated some times.

To echo Trish. I would suggest that you try to lower your setting on the humidifier a notch or two. In the summer we usually don;t require as much humidification as we do in the dryer winter. I don;t even have mine turned on. Even though your oral hygeine is good, you might try a swoosh of mouthwash just before jumping into the sack.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
When first started the therapy my lips felt a bit sticky may be from mouth leaks and don,t know if its a coincidence had a couple of teeth extraction. I find it better using a nasal mask with a chinstrap to keep mouth shut and gargling with warm salty water.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2012, 12:32 PM)Jethro Wrote: Just got my machine a week or two ago. I've noticed a strange occurance, in that, when I wake up the inside of my mouth is like I've been eating paste. I know it's nasty, but it's like muck mouth but worse. Is this common?

Problems of this type are quite common for beginners. They usually subside as we get acclimated to the CPAP therapy.

With your full face mask you are probably breathing through your mouth differently than you did before. Either more or less, making your mouth feel differently.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum Jethro. There are always teething problems when first stating out somethings usually correct themselves within a few weeks. Try different things like turning you humi off all together and see if that helps

Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum!!! We are glad you joined us!!! Welcome

As far as 8 hours is concerned, not everyone NEEDS 8 hours. Some of us need more. Some of us can function properly on less.

Your mileage may vary. Thinking-about
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2012, 12:32 PM)Jethro Wrote: Just got my machine a week or two ago. I've noticed a strange occurance, in that, when I wake up the inside of my mouth is like I've been eating paste. I know it's nasty, but it's like muck mouth but worse. Is this common? My oral hygiene is impeccable so it's probably not that and I was told to clean my mask every day so I do. I only use distilled water in my humidifier and have it turned all the way up. Also, I go to work at 12:30 AM and usually don't get a full 8 hours; maybe 5 or 6. I know 8 is normal, but is it still OK to get less? Thanks, everyone!

Good morning Jethro! Welcome

You might try picking up a bottle of Biotene mouthwash. It is the oddest mouthwash ever, but it cures so many oral issues I bet it would help you with the pasty thing!
I have had to increase the amount of sleep I get over the years by going to bed earlier. I feel best after 8.5-9 hours of rest (ever since I turned about 48 or so). Since I get up at 4:15 I am usually in bed by 8:30 so be asleep by 9:00. By the end of the week I have a small sleep debt, but I catch up on Friday nights (usually!). Get what sleep you can and get a little extra when you can. Try to set a sleep schedule as part of good sleep hygiene, but we all know that with work and such we can only try our best!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey, Jethro, welcome. As far as morning muck mouth, it's something that I have also on occasion. I believe it's caused by a fair amount of mouth breathing during the night, as suggested by Sleepster. It's partially dried out saliva. I have only noticed having it during nights when I was aware of mouth breathing either during a middle-of-the-night wake up for a potty visit and/or when first waking up in the a.m. Most mornings, I'm muck free, and those coincide with my not being aware of having done any serious mouth breathing during those nights.
Post Reply Post Reply
O.K. i'll try turning down the humidity and see if the drug store has Biotene. As Dreamcatcher put it, I am having teething problems. I still do better with a "sleep aid". The doc wrote a prescription for Ambien and they are a God-send! I only use them when I don't have to work that day/night, since I am a truck driver. OTC sleep aids may as well be M&Ms to me and I don't really want to experiment with them to see if I need to take two rather than one. No second chances if I guess wrong! A couple of times, as the pressure goes up, it has woken me up and I haven't been able to get back to sleep so off it comes! We are NOT friends yet! lol
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 113 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Newbie Here Tulipdi 4 191 04-02-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Tulipdi
  Do my OSCAR charts and figures look okay (newbie)? Jade98 4 174 04-02-2024, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 501 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 193 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 285 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 265 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.