stanleydean Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmart CPAP
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Drive Medical Comfort Fit Deluxe
Humidifier: Resmart
CPAP Pressure: 10.5 cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: No downloadable software available for Resmart. Partial data available via icodeconnect.com

Sex: Male

A reminder to myself and possibly a heads up to others
This is a reminder to myself for sure and maybe a heads up to someone else - You do NOT have to accept whatever your DME brings you without first having a detailed description of the machine etc. that is being offered AND a reasonable opportunity to check it out. You should obtain a copy of the RX written by your care provider, be satisfied that it will meet your needs and be satisfied that your DME is complying with the RX. This is everyday basic stuff for many on this forum but, in my own case, I was not aware of the need to dig in for due information until I became active on the forum. After becoming unhappy with a new CPAP machine and starting to participate on the forum I learned a great deal about apnea treatment and became convinced that I had been given the cheapest machine available, not what I really needed. A very ineffective and misleading home sleep study led up to this mess which I am slowly but surely beginning to get straightened out.
03-26-2016 03:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
vsheline Online

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt (USA Model# 36007, not better 36037 or 36067)
Mask Make & Model: F10 or SimPlus w/ 2Liners. MirageQuatro & Gecko gel pad
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 5-10
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

RE: A reminder to myself and possibly a heads up to others
(03-26-2016 03:36 PM)stanleydean Wrote:  This is a reminder to myself for sure and maybe a heads up to someone else - You do NOT have to accept whatever your DME brings you without first having a detailed description of the machine etc. that is being offered AND a reasonable opportunity to check it out. You should obtain a copy of the RX written by your care provider, be satisfied that it will meet your needs and be satisfied that your DME is complying with the RX. This is everyday basic stuff for many on this forum but, in my own case, I was not aware of the need to dig in for due information until I became active on the forum. After becoming unhappy with a new CPAP machine and starting to participate on the forum I learned a great deal about apnea treatment and became convinced that I had been given the cheapest machine available, not what I really needed. A very ineffective and misleading home sleep study led up to this mess which I am slowly but surely beginning to get straightened out.

Good luck to you in getting your concerns successfully resolved.

Your situation is way too common. Many (most?) patients have been taken advantage of by Durable Medical Equipment providers because doctors have not specifically prescribed a machine capable of reporting Flow waveforms and reporting central apnea versus obstructive apnea. Without these reporting features, common problems are often overlooked, resulting in inadequate therapy.

Also, APAP machines should be prescribed even when fixed-pressure CPAP therapy mode is judged appropriate for some reason, because all APAP machines include an optional fixed pressure CPAP mode, and occasional trials in APAP therapy mode are good for seeing whether the treatment pressure needs to be adjusted.

It all starts with the doctor's prescription being adequate.

Most often, the patient will need to be assertive and ask that a prescription be changed.

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2016 05:33 PM by vsheline.)
03-26-2016 05:16 PM
Phill Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Auto Set
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit F10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i, with heated hose
CPAP Pressure: unsure
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

"A very ineffective and misleading home sleep study led up to this mess"

I would be interested to know what your home sleep study consisted of, mine consisted of a box strapped to my chest data logger I assume, a couple of pads stuck to my chest, a monitor on my finger, and a pipe up each nostril.
I suggested that with all this stuff on it was hardly likely to record a typical nights sleep, this was ignored.

"Ineffective and misleading" may well be the situation for me as well.

Anyway I have an appointment in 3 weeks to see them again, so, Load and lock and ready to rock.

Nice to know you get choices and options.Dielaughing
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2016 10:39 AM by Phill.)
03-27-2016 10:35 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

stanleydean's story is a common occurrence. Especially wrt the DME.

When dealing with equipment suppliers, you never have more power than before you take delivery of equipment.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
03-27-2016 10:57 AM
stanleydean Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments: No downloadable software available for Resmart. Partial data available via icodeconnect.com

Phill wrote: I would be interested to know what your home sleep study consisted of, mine consisted of a box strapped to my chest data logger I assume, a couple of pads stuck to my chest, a monitor on my finger, and a pipe up each nostril.
I suggested that with all this stuff on it was hardly likely to record a typical nights sleep, this was ignored.
PHP Code:
Phill, as I recallmy home sleep study was pretty much the same as you described yours
Ill try and dig out the reportsuch as it was, and get it to you on a follow up postmaybe later today.

Stan 
03-29-2016 09:13 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
stanleydean Offline

Preferred Members

Phill wrote: I would be interested to know what your home sleep study consisted of, mine consisted of a box strapped to my chest data logger I assume, a couple of pads stuck to my chest, a monitor on my finger, and a pipe up each nostril.

Phill, I said that I would attach my home sleep study report to a reply post and send it to you. Each page of the two page report exceeds my limit for attachments so that will not work. If I can find out how to send it another way I will do so.
Stan
03-31-2016 03:40 PM
vsheline Online

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt (USA Model# 36007, not better 36037 or 36067)
Mask Make & Model: F10 or SimPlus w/ 2Liners. MirageQuatro & Gecko gel pad
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 5-10
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

(03-31-2016 03:40 PM)stanleydean Wrote:  Phill, I said that I would attach my home sleep study report to a reply post and send it to you. Each page of the two page report exceeds my limit for attachments so that will not work. If I can find out how to send it another way I will do so.
Stan

Hi Stan,

Here are instructions on how to insert an image as a link, rather than as an attachment:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-How-to-Inserting-an-Image

(New members who have posted less than 7 times are not allowed to post links.)

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2016 12:52 AM by vsheline.)
04-09-2016 12:51 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
chill Online

Advisory Members

Machine: DreamStation X500
Mask Make & Model: Walk-in Mask Closet
Humidifier: DreamStation
CPAP Pressure: 13-16
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: CPAP True Believer

How does the American system work? In the province where I live in Canada CPAP is not covered at all (boo!) but it is by private insurance. So the DME has incentive to give you the best available (AFAIK) so maximize the charge to the insurer. Their first proposal to me was top end equipment.
04-09-2016 12:59 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Smell possibly coming from my Resmed Airsense 10 Normbc9 20 2,067 09-19-2016 12:07 PM
Last Post: wenfroed
Wink REMINDER: IDIOT-PROOFING YOUR S10 srlevine1 10 558 07-11-2016 10:36 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Heads Up Nano users on Medicare Lukie 12 3,504 02-15-2016 03:05 PM
Last Post: JPaulos
Gross Possibly a silly question.. Air in stomach movement? ezdrifler 4 755 01-28-2016 10:58 PM
Last Post: ezdrifler
  Insomnia... It's all in our heads novatom 5 935 07-14-2015 01:45 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
Question Old hose-heads: How Often? PollCat 22 3,076 06-17-2015 09:01 PM
Last Post: Frogman812
  A story and request for advice from someone recovering from possibly 15 years of Slee Slapnoea 11 3,179 04-15-2015 03:07 PM
Last Post: Slapnoea