Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

A reminder to myself and possibly a heads up to others
A reminder to myself and possibly a heads up to others
This is a reminder to myself for sure and maybe a heads up to someone else - You do NOT have to accept whatever your DME brings you without first having a detailed description of the machine etc. that is being offered AND a reasonable opportunity to check it out. You should obtain a copy of the RX written by your care provider, be satisfied that it will meet your needs and be satisfied that your DME is complying with the RX. This is everyday basic stuff for many on this forum but, in my own case, I was not aware of the need to dig in for due information until I became active on the forum. After becoming unhappy with a new CPAP machine and starting to participate on the forum I learned a great deal about apnea treatment and became convinced that I had been given the cheapest machine available, not what I really needed. A very ineffective and misleading home sleep study led up to this mess which I am slowly but surely beginning to get straightened out.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: A reminder to myself and possibly a heads up to others
(03-26-2016, 03:36 PM)stanleydean Wrote: This is a reminder to myself for sure and maybe a heads up to someone else - You do NOT have to accept whatever your DME brings you without first having a detailed description of the machine etc. that is being offered AND a reasonable opportunity to check it out. You should obtain a copy of the RX written by your care provider, be satisfied that it will meet your needs and be satisfied that your DME is complying with the RX. This is everyday basic stuff for many on this forum but, in my own case, I was not aware of the need to dig in for due information until I became active on the forum. After becoming unhappy with a new CPAP machine and starting to participate on the forum I learned a great deal about apnea treatment and became convinced that I had been given the cheapest machine available, not what I really needed. A very ineffective and misleading home sleep study led up to this mess which I am slowly but surely beginning to get straightened out.

Good luck to you in getting your concerns successfully resolved.

Your situation is way too common. Many (most?) patients have been taken advantage of by Durable Medical Equipment providers because doctors have not specifically prescribed a machine capable of reporting Flow waveforms and reporting central apnea versus obstructive apnea. Without these reporting features, common problems are often overlooked, resulting in inadequate therapy.

Also, APAP machines should be prescribed even when fixed-pressure CPAP therapy mode is judged appropriate for some reason, because all APAP machines include an optional fixed pressure CPAP mode, and occasional trials in APAP therapy mode are good for seeing whether the treatment pressure needs to be adjusted.

It all starts with the doctor's prescription being adequate.

Most often, the patient will need to be assertive and ask that a prescription be changed.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
"A very ineffective and misleading home sleep study led up to this mess"

I would be interested to know what your home sleep study consisted of, mine consisted of a box strapped to my chest data logger I assume, a couple of pads stuck to my chest, a monitor on my finger, and a pipe up each nostril.
I suggested that with all this stuff on it was hardly likely to record a typical nights sleep, this was ignored.

"Ineffective and misleading" may well be the situation for me as well.

Anyway I have an appointment in 3 weeks to see them again, so, Load and lock and ready to rock.

Nice to know you get choices and options.Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply
stanleydean's story is a common occurrence. Especially wrt the DME.

When dealing with equipment suppliers, you never have more power than before you take delivery of equipment.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Phill wrote: I would be interested to know what your home sleep study consisted of, mine consisted of a box strapped to my chest data logger I assume, a couple of pads stuck to my chest, a monitor on my finger, and a pipe up each nostril.
I suggested that with all this stuff on it was hardly likely to record a typical nights sleep, this was ignored.
PHP Code:
Phill, as I recallmy home sleep study was pretty much the same as you described yours
I'll try and dig out the report, such as it was, and get it to you on a follow up post, maybe later today.

Stan 
Post Reply Post Reply
Phill wrote: I would be interested to know what your home sleep study consisted of, mine consisted of a box strapped to my chest data logger I assume, a couple of pads stuck to my chest, a monitor on my finger, and a pipe up each nostril.

Phill, I said that I would attach my home sleep study report to a reply post and send it to you. Each page of the two page report exceeds my limit for attachments so that will not work. If I can find out how to send it another way I will do so.
Stan

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-31-2016, 03:40 PM)stanleydean Wrote: Phill, I said that I would attach my home sleep study report to a reply post and send it to you. Each page of the two page report exceeds my limit for attachments so that will not work. If I can find out how to send it another way I will do so.
Stan

Hi Stan,

Here are instructions on how to insert an image as a link, rather than as an attachment:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...g-an-Image

(New members who have posted less than 7 times are not allowed to post links.)
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
How does the American system work? In the province where I live in Canada CPAP is not covered at all (boo!) but it is by private insurance. So the DME has incentive to give you the best available (AFAIK) so maximize the charge to the insurer. Their first proposal to me was top end equipment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Headgear for very large heads NogginOff 1 35 3 hours ago
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Help interpreting sleep study results - possibly UARS? georges089867 0 438 03-06-2023, 07:21 PM
Last Post: georges089867
Smile [News] REMINDER - TIME CHANGE AHEAD srlevine1 2 586 11-03-2022, 09:27 PM
Last Post: YipeekiOH
  [Admin Note] Reminder concerning advice offered via Private Messages SuperSleeper 1 1,089 10-27-2022, 09:27 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  CPAP possibly ineffective? Jake31B 4 742 02-17-2022, 11:38 PM
Last Post: Jake31B
  New CPAP User, possibly Complex Apnea? henrynguyen5 25 1,728 01-17-2022, 03:32 PM
Last Post: henrynguyen5
  [CPAP] Buy CPAP Or Wait Possibly Months For Insurance? Azog 5 1,001 09-27-2021, 05:50 PM
Last Post: Azog

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.