Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

A sound recording of my sleep (Audacity screenshot)
A sound recording of my sleep (Audacity screenshot)
After sleeping for a grand total of 1 hours in a sleep study, I was told that I had severe sleep apnea. 

I was in disbelief. I've been telling everyone all these years that I NEVER snore. Not me. I would certainly know if I was snoring.

Well last night I recorded myself with my phone then imported the file into audacity. Here are the results.

I'm shocked beyond belief right now. Unless my neighbor was trying out his weed whacker at 3am, those spikes should all be me not even snoring but choking and struggling to breathe. I fell asleep FAST for once. So we can ignore the first and last 10 minutes (made noises after waking up before remembering to stop the recording). The rest should all be sleep.

A few days ago I thought there is no way I was one of you. That I didn't have any apneas but rather a single airway narrowing that got slightly worse towards the end of my sleep. Now I am so distraught that I am shaking as I type this. 

I'd like to hear what you think about this.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: A sound recording of my sleep (Audacity screenshot)
Welcome to the forum.  This is where you will find more help than you thought possible.  
Allow me to direct you to the "New to Apnea? Helpful tips to ensure success" WIKI article (see my signature). This includes a description of the process that you will be going through.

I too lived in that Egyptian city fo Denial.  

Important things going forward.

1. You want a ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset Automatic CPAP machine (APAP). This is IMHO the best of the CPAP machines. Others I'm sure will chip in more details.
2. get a copy of your Rx, Sleep Studies, the full study with details, not just the summary, and anything else associated with your apnea. It is very likely you will need this info in the years to come.
3. The hard part of therapy is finding your mask. Masks MUST be tried on, under pressure and ideally in sleeping position. Read the "Mask Primer", again in my signature. Use you trips into the sleep center as an opportunity to try different masks. i JUGGEST TRY MASKS FROM THE SMALLEST, LEAST INTRUSIVE, (pillow pasks),up thru the Nasal masks, and finally onto the largest the Full Face masks. Many on this forum us the P10 Pillow masks. Which mask is best? The mask that works for you, read the Mask Primer".
4. there are 2 parts to therapy, the first are the numbers, getting your Severe Sleep Apnea under control and down to the managed territory which is under 5 AHI that your Doctors care about. The 2nd is how you feel, If you don't feel good it will definately impact the theraputic value of your treatment. Often (enough) there are subtle things we look at because of how you feel so this aspect is extremely important.

This will get you startted, the more data that you can provide, (Sleep Studies, Nightly detailed charts, the better we will be able to help you.

Ask questions, I'm sure that you will have plenty.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you.

I do have questions/concerns.

1. I got to try the nose thing when I did my 1st tritation that I walked out of because I thought I didn't need it. I absolutely hated it and don't understand how anyone in this universe could stand that much air blowing straight up their nose. Horrible feeling. No disrespect to anyone who likes it. It just ain't for me. After 30 seconds I said give me the mask. My mouth and nose combined are better suited to handle that volume of air than just my nose.

2. Do you even get to choose your CPAP machine with medicaid, or do you have to take whatever they give you?
Post Reply Post Reply
Your DME will be required to provide an E0601 CPAP machine.  This includes the ResMed AutoSet which provides detailed data and compliance data.  Detailed data is what is needed to know where you are at treatment wise, without it ALL changes are guesses based solely on how you are feeling unless you get another expensive sleep study done.

The DME would like to meet that requirement by giving you the cheapest machine possible and likely a used machine that is "new to you" simply because they are paid enough for either but they make more money by giving you the cheaper machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Regarding the mask selection, the mask that works for you is the best mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
How do I prevent the DME from giving me a moldy cpap they got from a garage sale in 1998?  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
By checking the Run Hours on the machine, Should be VERY, VERY close to zero.  They are being paid to provide you with a NEW machine.

Read this Wiki Article
Dealing with a DME
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...with_a_DME
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question INTUS Sleep results, mild sleep apnea or UARS? Chimken 1 66 Yesterday, 02:03 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Oscar not recording CSR and RE with Aircurve 10 Vauto rmfisher132 1 146 03-17-2024, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  White/Brown Sound? MoneyPit1946 7 277 03-16-2024, 10:49 AM
Last Post: MoneyPit1946
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 230 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Airsense 10 not recording data Guajiro 3 244 03-11-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 262 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  ASV machine making weird sound on startup and when mask is disconnected kc90 7 331 02-08-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: kc90

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.