Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

A10 Says 4.6, Sleepyhead Says 0.87...?
A10 Says 4.6, Sleepyhead Says 0.87...?
I am getting conflicting data, as the title describes. I am falling asleep at night, then waking up and not being able to sleep until early morning. Then I am sleeping away the day until 2pm.
For the last while my numbers have been creeping up from very low to 4.6 today, 3.6 yesterday... But as I said Sleepyhead is only showing today 0.87, not 4.6. Here is today's screen shot.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: A10 Says 4.6, Sleepyhead Says 0.87...?
The Resmed is probably showing the AHI based on your latest session (the one that started at 6:30am), which is the one where all the events occurred.

SleepyHead is averaging your sessions together for the total night. It's showing an 11 hour and 32 minute night. (just a few lines below the orange AHI line)
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm no expert on Sleepyhead... here's my best guess:
You're sleep "day" crosses over noon. The machine considers noon as a new day.

Sleepyhead has a time offset to permit aggregation of data for a selected window.

Bottom line -- I think the machine is analyzing a different data time window than SH is. best Guess for me.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Mongo's assessment of the situation. I've actually noticed this same thing occurring with some of my sleep patterns; except in my case the I inadvertently set the day to end at midnight. Whistle
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well if that was true, then when I look at each of the sleep segments under the pie chart there would be one very high, but they all seem to be quite low...?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-19-2015, 03:31 PM)player Wrote: Well if that was true, then when I look at each of the sleep segments under the pie chart there would be one very high, but they all seem to be quite low...?

SleepyHead took 9 events divided across roughly 11 hours to get an AHI of .87.

There were 3 events of each type. So the pie pieces are equal instead of one being high. (each slice is a type of event)

I'm guessing at the number of events based on the tick marks on the chart. Sometimes when two events are close together they look like one on the chart. So I might be under-counting. You can look at the events tab to get the exact counts of each type. Ten events over 11.5 hours would be .87. The Hyp pie piece looks a little bigger than the others, so you probably had four of those instead of three.
Post Reply Post Reply
So why does my Resmed say 4.6 AHI? Plus I don't feel like I have .87, I feel like 4.6...
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks like the Resmed started a new day at noon. According to the SleepyHead data, you slept until 1:17pm.
Resmed would have counted about 1.28 hours from noon to 1:17pm.
Looks like you had 6 events during that time, which gives an AHI of 4.6-ish for that 1.28 hour window.
(assuming there is a Hyp in there that's not obvious, maybe the thicker line is two side by side)

Sounds like the bigger question may be how you're feeling.

The broken sleep is probably part of it. If there is some way to get that back on track to one continuous sleep time, it could help. Not sure what to tell you on that, other than to do the basic sleep hygiene, and maybe try to skip the late morning/early afternoon sleep one day and see if that helps you sleep through the night that following night.

Also you may not be resting all that well, when you are sleeping. I noticed you're using an EPR setting of 3. You might try 2 or 1 and see if that is more comfortable for you. You might sleep more soundly that way. If you are getting woken up with leaks, etc, that can be disrupting your sleep too.

Post Reply Post Reply
What does the epr setting do? I thought it dropped my pressure down 3 when I exhale. So I am set at 9, so my exhale pressure would be 6?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2015, 03:44 AM)player Wrote: What does the epr setting do? I thought it dropped my pressure down 3 when I exhale. So I am set at 9, so my exhale pressure would be 6?

That's correct. And, you can see it in the high rate pressure graph (blue.)
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.