Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

A10 Whining noise?
RE: A10 Whining noise?
I had this problem with my first ResMed.  It worked fine for about a month, then I noticed a slight whining sound with each inhale.  I tried everything... changed filter, hose, even changed out the water chamber.  The noise progressively got worse.  

I've always used distilled water.

Since it was under warranty, my DME sent it back to ResMed.  They never questioned it and replaced it with a new, 0 hour machine.  Now this new VAuto is starting to make the same sound.  It's very slight though.  If I remove the water tank and forcefully "slam"
it back in, the noise stops.  

The technician at the DME told me that this is a known issue with ResMed. You would think they would try to fix it. Maybe they did with the A11. Dont-know
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I believe I have fixed this problem. 

So like the rest of you the whining noise was constant and louder on inhaling. One could compare it to a turbine winding up and slowing down, one could also think the RPM’s point to a bearing problem in the motor.  What I did seems to have fixed it. 

As I stated above I replaced the tank and filter with no results. Read post and watched videos and listen to recordings of my problem.

What I did was, remove the filter, leave the door open, remove the water chamber,  grab the end of the air hose and as hard as you can blow air in the hose.  With your other hand you can feel it come out the filter area and also the silicone ports at the back of the water chamber.   I did this about 5 times!

It was as quiet as it has ever been all last night.  Just like new again.

The A10 has a feature that when you take your mask off in the morning it will blow a blast of air for 15 seconds or so.  I never took advantage of this. I would just push the button to off.

By doing this I was not blowing out excess moisture/ condensation, maybe even some dust.

I have replaced a machine before because of this and now I’m thinking I was a little hasty.

I know one night is not a good test, so I will update this if it returns.

I hope people that have this problem will chime in and try doing what I did, maybe what I did was just a fluke, I don’t know…..but mine is quite again. And I’m one happy camper.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think it is moisture/condensation. The machine should continue to run at a low speed for about 15 minutes after you push button to stop machine and this is to dry out the hose etc.

There are now two comments about slamming humidifier tank in. I have one humidifier tank that doesn't fit great and I have to push it in quite hard for it to seat fully. Wonder if that is related to those peoples findings.

This solution you found is inline with the other compressed air/vacuum solutions and I would just guess being related to dust and that blowing it backward helped free it up or something along those lines.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2021, 12:35 PM)Geer1 Wrote: I don't think it is moisture/condensation. The machine should continue to run at a low speed for about 15 minutes after you push button to stop machine and this is to dry out the hose etc.

There are now two comments about slamming humidifier tank in. I have one humidifier tank that doesn't fit great and I have to push it in quite hard for it to seat fully. Wonder if that is related to those peoples findings.

This solution you found is inline with the other compressed air/vacuum solutions and I would just guess being related to dust and that blowing it backward helped free it up or something along those lines.

When I hit and hold the off button for 3 seconds, the machine shuts off completely. I agree with your last paragraph.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2021, 01:17 PM)Nightynite Wrote: When I hit and hold the off button for 3 seconds, the machine shuts off completely. I agree with your last paragraph.

I didn't even know that was a thing, thought you were referencing something about smart start and how it shuts off after you take mask off. 

You should stop doing that. The cool down period runs for 20 minutes and yes it is to stop condensation from forming in the machine which you are right might be part of your issue because you have been bypassing this feature.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2021, 03:13 PM)Geer1 Wrote: I didn't even know that was a thing, thought you were referencing something about smart start and how it shuts off after you take mask off. 

You should stop doing that. The cool down period runs for 20 minutes and yes it is to stop condensation from forming in the machine which you are right might be part of your issue because you have been bypassing this feature.

This is the only thing in the manual about turning off the machine.  Where is this cool down info.

Stopping therapy
1. Removeyourmask.
2. Press Start/Stop or if SmartStart is enabled, therapy will stop automatically after a few seconds. The Sleep Report now gives you a summary of your therapy session.
Usage hours–Indicates the number of hours of therapy you received last session.
Mask Seal–Indicates how well your mask sealed: Good mask seal.
Needs adjusting, see Mask Fit.
Humidifier–Indicates if your humidifier is working properly: Humidifier working.
Humidifier might be faulty, contact your care provider.
If set by your care provider, you will also see:
Events per hour–Indicates the number of apnoeas and hypopnoeas experienced per hour.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's another thread on Apnea Board about cool down. See if it helps, that is if you're actually talking about cool down. During cool down, a snowflake appears on the PAP display.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-Necessary
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
They don't call it cool down period per say but nelow is a link to explanation of the feature. I have seen it referred to as a cool down period and my understanding is the humidifier heat is turned off while drier air flows to dry out machine and hose. It is a built in function meant to be used not bypassed by holding power button or unplugging the machine (have seen others that did this). I recommend doing this not only if it affects this noise issue but because if you just shut off the machine leaving moisture in hose etc then that creates even more of a breeding ground for bacteria etc.

https://www.resmed.com/en-us/healthcare-...s-support/

"My patient’s device still blows air after they’ve stopped therapy."

"After therapy has stopped, the device will continue to blow a small amount of air to avoid condensation in the machine and air tube. This will stop automatically after 20 minutes."
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2021, 05:58 PM)Geer1 Wrote: They don't call it cool down period per say but nelow is a link to explanation of the feature. I have seen it referred to as a cool down period and my understanding is the humidifier heat is turned off while drier air flows to dry out machine and hose. It is a built in function meant to be used not bypassed by holding power button or unplugging the machine (have seen others that did this). I recommend doing this not only if it affects this noise issue but because if you just shut off the machine leaving moisture in hose etc then that creates even more of a breeding ground for bacteria etc.

https://www.resmed.com/en-us/healthcare-...s-support/

"My patient’s device still blows air after they’ve stopped therapy."

"After therapy has stopped, the device will continue to blow a small amount of air to avoid condensation in the machine and air tube. This will stop automatically after 20 minutes."

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Nightynite, thanks for posting about your experiences. Last night I followed your suggestion to blow hard into the hose with the tank and filter removed, and my A10 ran much quieter. There is still a slight bit of noise, but it's much better. Going forward, I'll try to remember to do this periodically.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 21,252 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 198 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 218 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,723 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  [CPAP] Resmed airmini noise NYKP44 0 431 02-09-2024, 01:27 PM
Last Post: NYKP44
Question Resmed Autoset 10 buzzing noise - what now? mogulman 8 643 01-16-2024, 11:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Equipment] Airsense 10 Noise tblaster 4 373 01-15-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: tblaster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.