Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

A10 causing congestion?
A10 causing congestion?
Ever since I got the A10, I keep having bouts of congestion. I don't have the use the humidifier here in the US South because of the air humidity. That and we've had 44" of rain so far this year (twice our normal). So with my S9, I wouldn't even be using the passive humidification.

I use tap water. I rinse every other day or so and let air dry.
I dump it each night and refill.
Even passive humidification (water, no heat) doesn't seem to be helping.

It isn't allergies because my eye isn't leaking. And it is the wrong time of the year for me. It is extreme congestion and sneezing. In the past, if the humidifier ran out of water during the night, I would wake up feeling like I was snorting ammonia. If it woke me soon enough, I'd just refill and go back to sleep. But if it didn't, I would sneeze my head off all day. Yeah, I'm weird.

But I'm not smelling that ammonia smell this time. Just waking up, taking off the mask, and almost instantly clogging up.

Could it be the machine?
Why would a switch in machines do this?
Could my S9 have been dying (which it was) and not putting out the pressure it thought it was? And now my sinuses are having to adjust?

I'm doing nasal rinses and taking a decongestant. I've even tried my claritin for a few days but no difference.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: A10 causing congestion?
I have had the same issue with my new machine, its way "wetter" than my old S9. I have turned my hose temp down to 24C and humidity to level 3 to get the same effect as my S9 gave me, i'm gradually working up to a setting level a week at a time that i'm comfy with. Congestion was an absolute b*****tch for me until i figured out what was going on. Now i'm back to a dry mouth on waking but not uncomfortably dry, and no congestion once the mask comes off. Yuo may find its the sudden humidity change thats causing it and when you get the machine dialled in things will come right.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know if you already did this but I'd try washing the hose. A new hose might have some residue from manufacturing.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
You might check the area around the machine filter. I bought some generic filters for my A10 and found they didn’t fit quite the same as th OEM filters and were letting a little dust get through, which caused some congestion for me. I’ve also found I am sensitive to tube temperatures. I can’t run my hose temperature very high or it causes congestion and night sweating.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Am I reading correctly that the problem occurs after you stop therapy? It seems the CPAP with nasal pillows is keeping you clear as you sleep and use the therapy, but that you're quickly becoming congested once you awaken. I don't think this is therapy related, and the remaining clue is also in your post. The higher than normal ambient humidity can cause mildew and mold to explode, and this can have a big influence on congestion in sensitive people. Keep your furnace filters changed with good quality filters with a rating of 8 to 12 (Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value (MERV)) as the air conditioning system will often circulate the spores which will bypass cheap filters. I use the Nordic Pure Filters with MERV 12 from Amazon. Also look after any damp areas and use a disinfecting wash if needed to suppress mildew.

You may find the congestion will eventually resolve on its own as the weather dries and cools as we change seasons.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I too have been having stuffy runny nose and sneezing several hours after turning pap off and stuffy nose and sneezing while on pap. bumping up humidity from 0 or 1 to 2 with hose temp at 78F seems to have helped me. wildfire smoke isn't horrible but is visible and smell-able; it can't be helping.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the suggestions! And yes, I know it could be non-PAP related. But when it is allergy season and I am congested, the humidity (even in the wet spring) from the APAP has always helped. And the congestion does not immediately return after taking off the mask.

I cleaned everything in a vinegar/water mix when I first got everything. But I'll clean it all again to see if it makes a difference. I may have an extra mask, too. Years ago, I had watery eyes, sneezes, and congestion due to a dirty hose (even though I was much more consistent with cleaning). I figured out it had to be the machine because I was just as bad away from home. The DME helped by replacing all that could be and it went away.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 0 23 1 hour ago
Last Post: coffee9724
  nasal congestion relief sleepingbetterinFl 2 158 03-23-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Cpap causing Central Apneas shedu1337 1 264 02-24-2024, 05:46 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 424 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  If nasal congestion is a problem, will this show in my AHI? canigetawitness1992 4 392 01-29-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: RNeil
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 137 34,775 01-17-2024, 05:37 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  What is your Mallampati Score? Are your tongue and palate causing your apnea? selfhelpdevice 0 309 12-10-2023, 04:19 PM
Last Post: selfhelpdevice

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.