Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

A10 cleaning
RE: A10 cleaning
(05-07-2016, 06:20 PM)FrankNichols Wrote: ...and I tend to discount 99.9% of marketing material.

that generally seems to be the wisest course Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
I must be the forum slob. Here's my 18 month cleaning history:

Humidifier: I top it off with distilled water every morning. I dump, rinse and refill it it about monthly. I think I've washed it in dish detergent once or twice.
Air filter: Replaced it twice.
ClimateLine Hose: Soaked it once or twice in diluted vinegar. Still using the original one. I may have rinsed it in detergent water once.
Mask: I wash it in anti-bacterial liquid hand soap about every two weeks. I use them until they begin to discolor or the silicone starts to crack (about two or three months).
Mask frame: I think I've washed it once or twice.
Head gear: Still using the original. Haven't cleaned it yet.

I have drawers full of replacements that my DME insists on sending me anyway. Don't you just love the government.
Post Reply Post Reply
Food grade hydrogen peroxide - 6%. As it works on the gunk build up in your mask and hoses it loses one hydrogen atom and becomes water. Vinegar changes to something else.

I use H2O2 for a variety of purposes and put it into both my mouth (morning gargle) and my ears to get rid of excess wax build up with no ill effects. Isopropyl alcohol will do a similar job but I trust the chemical reaction from H2O2 over isopropyl alcohol.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is anyone using CPAP specific wipes? That's what I've been doing to clean the mask cushion. They seem to do the job just fine. If I hold the mask up to the light before and after, it looks like they're getting rid of the oil which seemed to be the main concern as it can compromise the seal.

Other than that I just dump the remaining water as soon as I get up, and then put the empty tank back in the machine until the cool down cycle is complete, after which I take the tank out and leave it open (without the tank inserted, air will not flow down the hose to dry it out). If I really want to make sure everything is dried out, I run a warming cycle with the tank empty, and then let go into cool down. Pretty sure after those two cycles, there won't be any moisture left in the system.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do home brewing, so I started using Star San for disinfecting CPAP equipment. It is an acid sanitizer that is odorless and tasteless. It takes a dilution of just 1.5 cc/quart (liter), and does not require rinsing. It keeps mineral deposits under control, and leaves the humidifier, hose and other ask parts sanitized. I just use Dawn for the nasal pillows.

Whatever works for you is fine, but I don't like the smell of vinegar, and it actually can support organisms as a food source, so that is not something I use.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2016, 01:49 PM)shewhorn Wrote: Is anyone using CPAP specific wipes?

I do use wipes on occasion when it's more convenient than a wash in warm soapy water. Removing the oils is indeed the solution. Any kind of wipe will do, as long as it doesn't contain a lotion designed to soothe the skin, as that is just as bad as the skin oils you're trying to remove.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2016, 01:49 PM)shewhorn Wrote: Is anyone using CPAP specific wipes?

I'm been using some citrus mask wipes from Supplier #1. They clean my P10 just fine and don't leave a citrus smell on the nasal pillows. I'm sure there are cheaper options but these work pretty well for me.
Just my personal opinion.  My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact.  Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel.  Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 217 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 167 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,783 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 181 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 342 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 604 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Mold issue / cleaning CPAP (the unit, not tubing), Resmed S9 NightOwl42 9 755 01-19-2024, 11:29 PM
Last Post: NightOwl42

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.