Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AASM Guidelines for Titration
AASM Guidelines for Titration
Recommendation 4.3.1.1 in the AASM Manual Titration guidelines states:

4.3.1.1 If the patient is uncomfortable or intolerant of high pressures on CPAP, the patient may be tried on BPAP. If there are continued obstructive respiratory events at 15 cm H2O of CPAP during the titration study, the patient may be switched to BPAP (Consensus).

Therefore, it is up to the clinician’s judgment whether the patient is switched to BPAP when:

a) The patient is uncomfortable or intolerant of high pressures on CPAP or

b) The patient has continued obstructive respiratory events at 15 cm H2O of CPAP during the titration study

I have included my latest titration study. One would think that I would have been tried on BIPAP. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AASM Guidelines for Titration
I think it is worth bringing up the question of why BiPAP wasn't tried during the titration with your sleep doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-11-2013, 03:11 PM)robysue Wrote: I think it is worth bringing up the question of why BiPAP wasn't tried during the titration with your sleep doctor.

I did that with no concrete answer. This is why I am now looking for another doctor. Just not sure whether to go with a pulmonologist or what.

If I understand the titration info I was given, 15 was definitely not a good number and 16 was only used for approx. 30 minutes so who knows if that was good or not.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
If I am reading your titration correctly, it looked acceptable at 13 cm-H2O CPAP.
What pressure did they settle on?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-11-2013, 03:42 PM)justMongo Wrote: If I am reading your titration correctly, it looked acceptable at 13 cm-H2O CPAP.

Post Reply Post Reply
I assume its not specified by the doctor or/and insurance requirement, CPAP have to be tried/failed before bi-level machine prescribed

Bi-level machine might be more comfortable as pressure support can set higher than 3 cmH2O but if not mistaken, EPAP has to be the same as your prescribed CPAP pressure ... not lower
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-11-2013, 04:10 PM)zonk Wrote: I assume its not specified by the doctor or/and insurance requirement, CPAP have to be tried/failed before bi-level machine prescribed

Bi-level machine might be more comfortable as pressure support can set higher than 3 cmH2O but if not mistaken, EPAP has to be the same as your prescribed CPAP pressure ... not lower

yea, this is why I had the 2nd sleep study because I was waking up throughout the night; was still sleepy/tired and most often take a nap and the pressure was butted up against the max capability of my machine (and nightmares too). Since I was having issues the doc said he would have them test me on BIPAP if my pressure was at 15 but when he wrote the order he said if pressure is 16 according to the sleep center. Well, AASM guidelines state that it is beneficial to try BIPAP at 15. I dunno. :-(
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-11-2013, 03:46 PM)me50 Wrote:
(11-11-2013, 03:42 PM)justMongo Wrote: If I am reading your titration correctly, it looked acceptable at 13 cm-H2O CPAP.

But your SPO2 desaturated more at the higher pressure.
I see your machine is an Auto.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-11-2013, 06:39 PM)justMongo Wrote:
(11-11-2013, 03:46 PM)me50 Wrote:

But your SPO2 desaturated more at the higher pressure.
I see your machine is an Auto.

Exactly my point!! Not only that, the tech did not put the belts on me so I just wonder how much she did not get due to leaving the belts off of me.

This is why I have more faith in this forum and the members here than I do with my doctor(s)
Post Reply Post Reply
November 10 data shows mostly Centrals. During my last titration study, at pressure 15, I had a lot of centrals if I am reading the study correctly along with O2 desat (see above attachments in intitial post) I also noticed on some of the centrals that my pressure did not go up so that bothers me. Any thoughts or suggestions that I can tell the new doctor?

[attachment=547]

November 11 data shows when I used my new Amara Gel mask. The first part is using a medium cushion and the 2nd part is using a small cushion.

[attachment=548]

Both times I kept waking up because of the leaks and I have tightened the head gear as much as I can without it hurting. I heard that Amara Gel isn't good for higher pressures (after the fact of ordering the mask...Respironics said it should be able to handle higher pressures without causing leaks).

I just changed my EPR to 2 but not sure that will help at all.

Not sure a pulmonologist will be able to help with that but guess I should try it and see.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 77 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 148 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Help with settings after BiPAP Titration jd1291 5 164 03-11-2024, 12:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Just bought a second hand bilevel, hoping for some help with titration? JohnnyLarueBathrobe 8 281 03-01-2024, 02:31 PM
  [Pressure] BiPAP Titration Help - I:E Ratio becomes 1:5 havishem 1 225 02-17-2024, 09:46 AM
  [CPAP] Help - Initial Titration Suggestions gli890 2 305 02-17-2024, 01:04 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  New to BiPAP, hoping for titration assistance? (Probable UARS) Easing5319 13 1,016 01-06-2024, 03:57 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.