Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ACTION ALERT Your CPAP data is being held hostage - ACT NOW!
RE: Your CPAP data is being held hostage - ACT NOW!
I just got back from a few days away, during which I had to tweak the settings of my machine to compensate for higher altitude, very different humidity and lower bedroom temperature.

How, in a world where such adjustments can only be made 'at the shop', are we supposed to optimise therapy in situations like that?

This all reminds me of the ongoing action by farmers who are pushing back against tractor manufacturers, who have by similar tactics made it impossible for farmers to maintain their own machinery, or even get the local mechanic to do it. Now, only the dealer has the equipment and codes necessary. At the same time as they blocked DIY maintenance, the dealers increased their service charges significantly - surprise!

IMO, this all started with smartphones. Manufacturers have observed how phone makers exercise control over their hardware even after the customer has bought and paid for it. They also saw how the operating system manufacturers essentially ride roughshod over users' rights, retaining ownership of the product that's loaded onto YOUR phone and even harvesting your information and movements without your knowledge. Inevitable, seeing all of this, manufacturers of other products see opportunities for themselves by adopting similar high-handed tactics. It's like the customers' wishes no longer matter - and they're getting away with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi everyone,
I have never been able to do anything with my own cpap machines because of a simple thing like a speech read-out that will tell me what I'm doing as I am doing it. But, that would interfere with THEIR bottom line.  What is SO upsetting about this is, that I'm just a lowly blind user of this equipment.  Now, if you think I'm whining about this, it's not just  like I'm looking for pity, or anything like that, I'm certainly not.   but after all, you cpap   manufactures need to come up into the 21st century.
Well, that's all for now, I hope this makes some kind of senses writing this is a challenge..
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome back, stranger!!! We've missed you.
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Trish, making CPAP therapy and settings information accessible to the blind is an amazing idea. I wonder if we can make Oscar useful to you by making the Welcome Screen summary available to your reader. For example, this is what Oscar says on a typical day:
"The last time you used your ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto...was 71 days ago (on Monday, February 14, 2022)
Your machine was on for 8 hours, 45 minutes and 0 seconds.
You had an AHI of 1.03, which is over your 7 day average of 0.69.
Your machine was under 11.42-15.42 cmH2O for 95% of the time.
Your average leaks were 0.40 L/min, which is under your 7 day average of 1.30."
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
100% agree with and support @trish6hundred's call for support for the blind. These machines should be accessible for all those who need help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Trish,
I would like you to join our team of testers, your task would be to advise us on accessibility for the blind. What do we need to do on OSCAR to do it better.

If interested, please PM me (Gideon)
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Red,sleeprider, Sheepish and Gidian.
Thank you for the welcome back and the various comments.
My computer read back anything, as long as it sees text to be converted to speech.
As far as Oscar gose, I've read plenty about it, but don't know much about how to work it.  So I really couldn't be  a tester.
I do appreciate you all giving me suggestions.
that's all for now.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I could be wrong but I suspect it's a HIPAA privacy/security situation since it's patient data.
Post Reply Post Reply
Fozzy, it becomes a HIPAA privacy and security situation when anyone else other than you takes custody of the data. The transfer and security of data to and from servers to authorized users of the data is indeed required to be secure; however, your SD card on your machine, and in your custody is not subject to being encrypted so that you cannot see or utilize the data. You own your data. That action is to make you dependent on the "care manager" network under rules set by a device manufacturer, so that they can remain a relevant and compensated part of the care chain. Let's look at it another way. Your tax and income information is supposed to be under similar protection, but your W2 or 1099 forms are not encrypted to keep you from knowing what you earned. Same idea. The information is for you, the regulators (care-takers) and anyone you share it with voluntarily. Oscar lets you use the data from your machine as you choose, but if it is encrypted, it ceases to be your property, and you must ask for data products at a price. What if the IRS would only disclose your income data as they have it, to tax preparers? Philips has interpreted the law to be you do not have the right to direct access to your data, and it must be reviewed analyzed and interpreted by their customers. If they change the encryption specifically to keep you from seeing your own data in Oscar, you should plan now to sue them, because Oscar can decrypt the Philips Dreamstation 2. If that changes, they are withholding patient data from the direct user.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
Has anyone ever requested their CPAP data/records from their sleep doc, DME, or CPAP manufacturer? ( I have not tried)

When ever I've requested records or notes my own PCP keeps on my health and tests I've had he has always provided me with what I asked for either as an message attachment through his system or through USPS snail mail. Even back a bunch of years ago when my hospital kept physical records I was able to go the records department (sign in with proof of who I was), they would pull my file folder, and I was able use their copier to get copies of whatever was in the files (I think it was 10 cents per page to copy). Not sure if the hospitall still does that, but I would believe they likely don't any longer with most records being in an electronic format..

Regarding HIPAA and right to access........
https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-individual...index.html
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [CPAP] Intense Fatigue - Seeking Advice: CPAP Data Analysis PerplexedTom 7 202 2 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [CPAP] New CPAP User - Help Understanding CPAP data and Pressure Spikes Sleepin 3 198 04-12-2024, 06:36 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  First night CPAP + OSCAR data Ostrich 3 250 04-04-2024, 08:32 AM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 131 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 192 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  [CPAP] New to cpap! Just wondering if my data looks ok so far wwjkcd 1 222 03-08-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] Need help with low pulse ox data/CPAP data Dan E 5 438 02-05-2024, 03:41 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.