Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AFTER THE SECOND SLEEP STUDY
AFTER THE SECOND SLEEP STUDY
Greetings friends,

I have completed my second Sleep Study and I would like to ask you for your comments to the following question.

I was truly amazed when I woke up the following morning after my sleep study with CPAP. I was refreshed like no other time; however, after I went home and showered, I began to notice that I was struggling to breathe.

It was so bizarre - literally, struggling.

It was as if I could not get enough air into my lungs. Is this because of my sleep with the CPAP - that my body finally received the air it so needed? Then, when off the CPAP air, it was unsure of what to do next. Smile It was given what it had sought for many years and then when it was taken away, it rebelled?

I am serious. Has anyone ever experienced this phenomenon?

Will it stop?

Thanks,

Jerry
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AFTER THE SECOND SLEEP STUDY
It could be a mild asthma issue or even allergies. Do you have problems with this?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Early in treatment when a secondary doctor raised my settings abruptly, my lungs felt fatigued the following day. I was bothered so much I called and had them lower the settings to just a couple of points above the initial setting. That took care of the problem. My max settled ultimately settled to 13 rather than the 16 that the other doctor set. It may be that you just aren't used to breathing so freely at night. Check with your doc. I know that treatment has been wonderful for me. I am no longer a zombie during the day struggling to stay awake.

Jeff
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply
Keep in mind the intent of positive air pressure is to splint your airway open, not to breath for you. That said, some people starting the therapy will experience a greater tidal volume over the night that may have a similar effect to exercising.

Without CPAP obstructive patients expend effort to breath, but don't get air past the throat dozens of times a night. Perhaps when you body is accustomed to expending that much effort, the first few nights on PAP you just over-inflate. It won't take long for all of that to settle down as you adapt to being able to breath with normal or less effort. The next step is the anticipation of getting your equipment and starting therapy. It seems to take forever.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-04-2016, 08:58 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: It could be a mild asthma issue or even allergies. Do you have problems with this?

Thank you for responding. No, I have never had asthma or allergies (fortunately)! Today, everything appears to be back to normal. Of course, I have not received my CPAP yet, so we will see if it returns once I am utilizing it full-time.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-04-2016, 10:03 PM)foss Wrote: Early in treatment when a secondary doctor raised my settings abruptly, my lungs felt fatigued the following day. I was bothered so much I called and had them lower the settings to just a couple of points above the initial setting. That took care of the problem. My max settled ultimately settled to 13 rather than the 16 that the other doctor set. It may be that you just aren't used to breathing so freely at night. Check with your doc. I know that treatment has been wonderful for me. I am no longer a zombie during the day struggling to stay awake.

Jeff

Thanks for replying, Jeff. And, you are correct, I think it is just that I have never breathed so freely in my life! I figure it is a temporary thing (I hope), but I wanted to post to see what others had to say.

Jerry
(01-04-2016, 10:09 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Keep in mind the intent of positive air pressure is to splint your airway open, not to breath for you. That said, some people starting the therapy will experience a greater tidal volume over the night that may have a similar effect to exercising.

Without CPAP obstructive patients expend effort to breath, but don't get air past the throat dozens of times a night. Perhaps when you body is accustomed to expending that much effort, the first few nights on PAP you just over-inflate. It won't take long for all of that to settle down as you adapt to being able to breath with normal or less effort. The next step is the anticipation of getting your equipment and starting therapy. It seems to take forever.

Thank you for your insight. I appreciate it. Yes, I am so looking forward to starting my CPAP full-time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi BoyertownCasket,

It is time now for you to do your homework, if not already done.

Extremely important to ask the doctor to prescribe the specific machine you want. And if he/she messes it up, ask again. Be assertive. Many of us got walked all over on by the system. Once you accept a machine it may be too late to complain or get a better machine.

Please read these recommendations by member Archangle, and ask the forum about any questions you may think of:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Take care and good luck,
--- Vaughn.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
[quote='vsheline' pid='146045' dateline='1452474591']
Hi BoyertownCasket,

Extremely important to ask the doctor to prescribe the specific machine you want. And if he/she messes it up, ask again. Be assertive. Many of us got walked all over by the system. Once you accept a machine it may be too late to complain or get a better machine.

Please read these recommendations by member Archangle, and ask the forum about any questions you may think of:

Take care and good luck,
--- Vaughn.
/quote]

Thank you for your insight, Vaughn. I have asked my doctor to provide me with her specifications and suggested machine.

Jerry
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-10-2016, 08:48 PM)BoyertownCasket Wrote: [quote='vsheline' pid='146045' dateline='1452474591']
Hi BoyertownCasket,

Extremely important to ask the doctor to prescribe the specific machine you want. And if he/she messes it up, ask again. Be assertive. Many of us got walked all over by the system. Once you accept a machine it may be too late to complain or get a better machine.

Take care and good luck,
--- Vaughn.
/quote]

Thank you for your insight, Vaughn. I have asked my doctor to provide me with her specifications and suggested machine.

Jerry

Vaughn, here is the response from my sleep physician:

I like the Resmed autoPAP line. The latest is the Airview 10 line, but the S9 line is still available for limited time.

Any comments?

Thanks.

Jerry
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 242 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 77 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 192 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 148 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 65 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.