Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI
AHI
Hi! I'm new to this board, but hoping you guys can help me out. I been using the CPAP since 2008. My original pressure was a 20, but I've lost 50 lbs 4yrs ago & my Pulmonary doc lowered the pressure to 15. Fast forward 4yrs, new state, new machine, no doc. I've been sleeping HORRIBLE. This morning my hubby said, "I didn't think you were supposed to snore with that thing on!" So I checked my data and my AHI readings were:
1 day- 11.0 (my sleep total was 5:48)
7 day- 6.8
30 day- 3.2
Do you guys think I need to increase pressure? If so, by how much?
Thank-you in advance! I just really want to sleep good again!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI
I suggest you download SleepyHead and look at the data first. You need to know what kind of events are happening.

If after looking at the data you see they are mostly obstructive, you can increase it slowly, in steps. Some turn it up .5 at a time, others by 1. My sleep doc likes to do adjustments by 2 but I think that's extreme and caused me to have air in my stomach.

And by slow, I mean make the adjustment, wait at least a week, observe the data, then increase again if needed. Then wait at least a week again. Yes, it will take time but there are so many factors that go into the quality of a night's sleep. We look at trends, not night-by-night numbers. You need to know what your normal ranges are.

I also suggest you start a sleep diary. Note how your day went (good, bad, high stress, no stress) and how you feel right before you lay down. Then write down how you feel when you wake up, if you dreamed. In it you can make the notes of the changes you made so you remember what and when you did it. Remember, you are looking for trends.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-26-2013, 09:21 AM)ogee73 Wrote: So I checked my data and my AHI readings were:
1 day- 11.0 (my sleep total was 5:48)
7 day- 6.8
30 day- 3.2
Do you guys think I need to increase pressure? If so, by how much?
Thank-you in advance! I just really want to sleep good again!

It looks like things were going ok until about a week ago. Sometimes that happens and the problems just go away on their own. Do you use the machine every time you sleep, or are there times when you sleep without the machine? Changes in patterns of usage can cause problems. Using the machine every time you sleep, even for naps, can cause problems like this to fade away.

Check the "percent time in large leak". Nothing you do will help if your leak rate is too high.

I agree with Paula that you need to look at your data on a computer to see the components of your AHI. One component is the CA index, if that's too high you need to lower your pressure. The other two components are the OA index and the hypopnea index. If they are too high you'll need to raise the pressure. The snoring indicates to me that you'll need to either fix a leak problem or raise the pressure. The only way to know is to look at the data.

I suggest small changes in pressure, with at least a week in between to really see the effects.

One thing that can help reduce leaks is switching from a full face mask to a nasal mask. Is that an option for you?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ogee73,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
What Paula and Sleepster said.
Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Paula and Sleepster, but would like to add one other suggestion: You might want to check the pressure on your machine with a manometer or take it to a DME that can check it. It seems awful strange to me that your pressure needs would change so rapidly; but (assuming you are using the machine you got in 2008) wouldn't be strange for the machine to be going out of whack coming up on the 5 year mark.

Snoring is a BIG tell-tale sign you aren't getting enough pressure. Maybe leaks are keeping you from getting the pressure, maybe 15cmH2O isn't enough OR maybe 15cmH2O is enough, but the machine isn't delivering the set pressure - never hurts to check the machine.

Sleep-well

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't see the "new machine" part when I first posted this - still probably wouldn't hurt to check it, but more likely the problem is leaks or pressure needs increasing.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm probably not adding anything new, but . . .

I've been using CPAP for about 7 weeks. The first couple of weeks, I was switching between two masks (nasal and nose & mouth) to see what worked for me. With the nose-mouth mask, I was getting an AHI around 12, while with nasal it was as low as 0.0, and usually less than 1. The whole difference was that one mask was leaking and one was providing a good seal. With the nasal mask, I need a chin strap; otherwise I breathe through my mouth and still snore.

If you're using a nasal mask, and not using a chin strap, you might try one, although this is something you've probably already dealt with.

Hope things improve!
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.