Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI
RE: AHI
(02-09-2014, 04:35 PM)Sandra_ON Wrote: My AHI in my sleep study was 9 so my apnea is fairly mild. I'm having problems with mouth breathing. Sometimes my chin strap works, sometimes not but I do like the pillow mask. I'm not sure what the respiratory therapist will recommend for a mask when I see him next week. I really don't like the idea of a full face mask.

what is your pressure? maybe you can try a different chin strap or try mask liners if they make those for pillows. or maybe you can try a nasal mask with mask liners if you don't think a different chin strap would work. also, if you are a back sleeper, try sleeping on your side and see if that helps with your mouth breathing. Not sure it would but it can't hurt to try

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-09-2014, 04:35 PM)Sandra_ON Wrote: My AHI in my sleep study was 9 so my apnea is fairly mild. I'm having problems with mouth breathing. Sometimes my chin strap works, sometimes not but I do like the pillow mask. I'm not sure what the respiratory therapist will recommend for a mask when I see him next week. I really don't like the idea of a full face mask.

9 is mild but it's still important that you can keep you AHI as low as possible. Each of those 9 times, you would wake up either consciously or sub consciously, so the lower you can get your AHI the better and your doing well. You are now within the range of a 'normal' person. With the chinstrap some people find them difficult, our jaws are so strong especially when we are asleep, sometimes our mouths still open which isn't good for your treatment. I have always used a full face mask as I'm a mouth breather, similar to CPAP, it is just a matter of getting used to it Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I find that sometimes I have mouth leaks even with a chin strap. To combat that I place a small hardish pillow or stuffed dog toy under my chin to keep it propped up. It works!
Post Reply Post Reply

The respiratory therapist can RECOMMAND (and should) but YOU get to PICK so don't take a quick suggestion as a mandate.

Do your research now. Ask more questions (about your current mask and you desires for making it work 'better') and then read as many reviews as possible about the mask you think might be suitable for you.

Remember, you quite likely will end up with several masks over the years to come, but this first mask is the ONLY one you will have for the near future while you are starting out.

If pillows will work for you, then I would highly recommend the Resmed Airfit P10, but other people would recommend something else.

Also, since you are having trouble with mouth leaks that is something you must deal with to use a straight pillow mask.

So try some of the suggestions such as "taping" now, to decide if that will work for you -- you may hate it or find that it is no big deal.

You already have a chin strap but maybe there are better straps.

What mask are you using now?

There is a workable mask for almost everyone, but your DME may not carry it or it may be more expensive and they will not suggest if to your FIRST, unless you ask. (if insurance is paying them a set price.)

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply

Try adjusting the chin strap. The same thing you describe happens to me when mine is too loose.

A good rule of thumb is that if you can chew comfortably while wearing it, it's too loose. On the other hand, it should be loose enough that you can comfortably open your mouth when you need to.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.