Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI 0.0 is achievable
AHI 0.0 is achievable
I'm so happy, I finally achieved a perfect nights sleep according to my S9 Autoset data.

I finally got a chin strap and together with my newer Wisp mask I finally got an AHI reading of 0.0

My previous best was 0.4 and that was only a few nights ago without a chin strap, Although I don't mouth breath my wife says that my mouth falls open on occasion usually around 4-5am so I decided to try a chin strap to help keep it closed.

The new Wisp mask has greatly reduced my average AHI to below 1.0 on a daily basis even though the 95% pressure has increased by about 4cm, My Swift FX averaged around 2.0-2.5 with a very few nights in around 1.0-1.1

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI 0.0 is achievable
That's great, Cobra. There's nothing like the feeling that we've achieved effective therapy. You should celebrate!

I-love-CPAP

But please don't be disappointed when your AHI goes back up a bit. Your choice of mask, and the machine's choice of pressure, are factors that can effect your AHI, but only in a long-term trend kind of way.

There really isn't a significant difference between AHI's of 0.4 and 0.0.

To score an event that counts in your AHI it has to last at least 10 seconds. You could have several events that lasted only 9 seconds and they wouldn't affect your AHI. Or you could have one event that lasted 90 seconds and it would make the same contribution to your AHI as one that lasted only 10 seconds.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be ecstatic if I got an AHI of 0.0. Heck, anything under 1.0 is cause for a little celebration. But those are visceral reactions. Intellectually I have to tell myself that a AHI of 2.3 is not really any worse than a AHI of 1.2.

The other important thing that's often overlooked is the leak rate. If you have an unacceptably high leak rate for significant amounts of time it doesn't matter what your AHI is, your therapy is not effective.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes I understand that, Leak rate was less than 3 which is extremely good.

I've been very very pleased with the new Wisp mask and I expect my numbers to flex a bit, however I strive for optimal treatment. I know when I've had an ineffective night because I feel like hell even though the AHI numbers might be low, usually that indicates a mask leak or open mouth.
Post Reply Post Reply
That sounds like good news.

Are those nasal pillows harder to get use to than, a face mask? I am getting a new nose mask sent. The Resp Therapist said, you have to breathe out harder on the nose pillows. I am only in one week of this, so I am still learning, and trying to find my fit.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Cobra4x4,
GREAT to hear you achieved AHI of 0.0.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-28-2013, 12:36 PM)okiegal61 Wrote: Are those nasal pillows harder to get use to than, a face mask? I am getting a new nose mask sent. The Resp Therapist said, you have to breathe out harder on the nose pillows. I am only in one week of this, so I am still learning, and trying to find my fit.

It is impossible to answer that question because everyone is different. I don't just mean the shape of the face or nose, I mean the psychologies are also different. In my case I have no psychological problem with pillows inside my nose, but some people cannot stand that. However, my particular type of claustrophobia makes it impossible for me to tolerate anything in front of my eyes, and that makes masks with a forehead support out of the question.

As for breathing out harder on the pillows, I have used both nasal masks and pillow masks and I never noticed any difference in the effort required to breathe out. Note that your machine has a setting where it will lower the pressure when you are exhaling. It works pretty well as long as your breathing is regular, but if you take long breaths and then short breaths it gets a bit confused about exactly when it should lower the pressure and when it should raise it back up again.

I note your profile says you are using a full face mask. Do I assume correctly that you were given a full face mask because you were breathing through your mouth during your sleep study? If so, try to find out (from the results of the study) if you were doing so always or just once in a while. If it is all the time you may have no choice but to use a full face mask, otherwise you may find that a nasal or nasal pillow mask coupled with a chin strap will work just as well or better, and may be more comfortable and give you lower leak rates.

Go back to your DME and ask to try lots of different masks. And go to the Supplier list here and look at pictures of different masks that are available online.

I'm in my ninth mask, so don't expect that the first mask will be perfect for you. Of all the factors involved in CPAP therapy the devil is in the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-28-2013, 11:50 AM)Cobra4x4 Wrote: Yes I understand that, Leak rate was less than 3 which is extremely good.
I've been very very pleased with the new Wisp mask and I expect my numbers to flex a bit, however I strive for optimal treatment. I know when I've had an ineffective night because I feel like hell even though the AHI numbers might be low, usually that indicates a mask leak or open mouth.

I'm using the Wisp and I have exactly the same experience. I'm currently using two liners with medical jelly as "glue." Usually that gets my leak rate under 24 L, but sometimes not. Tonight I'm going to try three liners. I found some cloth at a fabric shop that is exactly the same as the Quietus liners, so I'm cutting out my own liners now. Otherwise three a night would be ridiculously expensive (21.95 for ten).
Post Reply Post Reply
Congrats on the zero!

Some would say that zero is our goal and anything more than that is bad. But that's not true. Anything below 5 is the goal but anything less is like frosting on the cake.

Okie, I went through 6-8 nasal masks before my first nasal pillows. I've tried one or two nasal masks since then but can't remember if it is harder or the same to breathe against the pressure.

It is also what we get used to. When I first started with a pressure of 8, I thought it was tough to breathe against. But now, without ramp and starting at 12, I sometimes feel smothered because I don't think I am getting enough air! LOL Keep trying to find the mask for you.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Great news .... now you can join the egg hunt
[Image: 220px-Easter-Eggs-1.jpg][Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdaRsFGNnx-Vs7t6V_d5H...QoxdLttXqA]

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Guys , I'm trying for the double tonight ... Wish me luck :lol
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is "0" Events Achievable? 2tired2sleep 28 12,955 04-04-2015, 05:20 PM
Last Post: PaytonA

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.