Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Straight CPAP or ASV?
RE: Straight CPAP or ASV?
(12-01-2018, 08:30 AM)Broomstick Wrote:
(11-30-2018, 01:33 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Feel free to ask any questions about the ASV, how to get it, what the experience is like, or whatever. I'll do all I can to prep you by supplying brutally honest answers, so you're forewarned.

OK, it's time to fight to get this ASV. Hope you're ready to win, because we don't lose here on the Apnea Board.

Coffee

I'd like to know the answers to all these questions. Please tell us.

Also, what is so hard about getting this machine. Is it getting insurance to pay for it, or getting a doctor to prescribe it in the first place?

Which question(s) can I help with? If it is the rest of the post, here are my answers:

First, yes, you have to get the Doc to prescribe an ASV, which most aren't willing to do initially. Then, to win insurance approval, you play the game with the insurance by failing CPAP and BiPAP first, then you may graduate to the ASV path. Mostly, each step involves a sleep study as well. Most people quit after only getting part way towards the ASV machine goal out of extreme frustration.

PS: lest I forget, you also must pass a heart echocardiogram test called LVEF, which was mentioned in this thread somewhere. Your LVEF results must be above 45%.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Straight CPAP or ASV?
(12-01-2018, 12:54 PM)Apnea Infant Wrote:
(12-01-2018, 08:30 AM)Broomstick Wrote:
(11-30-2018, 01:33 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Feel free to ask any questions about the ASV, how to get it, what the experience is like, or whatever. I'll do all I can to prep you by supplying brutally honest answers, so you're forewarned.

OK, it's time to fight to get this ASV. Hope you're ready to win, because we don't lose here on the Apnea Board.

Coffee

I'd like to know the answers to all these questions. Please tell us.

Also, what is so hard about getting this machine. Is it getting insurance to pay for it, or getting a doctor to prescribe it in the first place?

I believe it is the prohibitive cost compared to the standard CPAP machine.

ASV costs a bit more than BPAP. And since the insurance companies have the wallet, yes that is the big reason IMO.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can posture cause UARS? Should I go straight for CPAP? frigid 2 594 07-21-2023, 05:45 PM
Last Post: frigid
Question Do you get up straight away? Lie in? or sleep some more? SevereApnea 9 1,119 11-15-2020, 06:02 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
Question [Equipment] Cut & splice Airmini tube to add QTube? Source for 15mm straight connectors? john.mccarthy 4 2,101 02-26-2020, 09:35 PM
Last Post: booksfan
  New to Apnea / CPAP - Avoid DME and Go Straight to Online Purchase? dreamstream 33 4,276 02-28-2019, 03:26 PM
Last Post: japers
  Resmed Airsense 10 Auto - 24 volts - Straight? foss 26 16,485 06-13-2016, 07:01 PM
Last Post: verbatim1
Question Straight BIPAP made yawn and yawn... Barbz 0 1,467 10-25-2015, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Barbz
  straight cpap at hospital GrammaBear 13 3,814 09-21-2015, 07:40 AM
Last Post: 49er

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.