Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to the therapy, looking for advice.
New to the therapy, looking for advice.
Hello guys/girls,

I started bipap a couple weeks ago and have been provided the AirCurve 10 VAuto bipap and prescribed a setting of 18 inhale 14 exhale for my severe apnea. (100 AHI home test, 32 in the lab) I was sent the F&P Vitera FFM. I also have procured the Resmed Airfit F30i. I am mostly a mouth breather as I've had terrible nasal issues for most of my life and can rarely breathe well out of the nose - so nasal masks are not an option.

I have been able to sleep roughly 2-3 hours with the mask on and then i wake for whatever reason and my brain panics for a moment and I inevitably take it off or i have trouble getting to sleep to begin with because - as a side/stomach sleeper - my cheek ends up pushing against the pillow slightly adjusting the silicon seal causing leaks and discomfort always around the nose area. This is with the Vitera. It is easier for me to take the high pressure and when i fall asleep it does work. AHI is controlled. Its rather hard to fall asleep with it on though and i seem to remove it. I assume other F&P offerings with this 'rolling seal' like the Simplus would experience the same issue?

The Airfit F30I.. Absolutely love the comfort and can easily move around positions. The problem for me on this one is that it gives me this dreaded chipmunk cheeks feeling. It seals great and i don't have any issue laying my cheek against the pillow it doesnt lose its seal. It does, however, blast my mouth open and holds it open causing the cheeks to swell and my jaw to hurt after a while being held open like this.

Question is... Do any of you more experienced users have any tips on a FFM for a stomach sleeper where i can lay the side of my head on a pillow and not lose seal ... yet not have this chipmunk cheek problem? Or any suggestions on my current masks / what I am doing wrong? I have tested several cushions on each and tightened the straps accordingly. I do have the endurimed cpap pillow.

Thank you for any assistance or advice!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to the therapy, looking for advice.
I would think the chipmunk problem is a good sign...if annoying.  It means that, despite some deflection, displacement, and/or deformation due to any number of influences (especially when you're asleep and don't know what's going on...), you have a pretty healthy seal going on.  And that's what you want.

I may sound a little unsympathetic as a result of my comment above, but somehow I have managed to be okay with the chipmunk cheeks.  It happens to me as a mouth breather who uses a nasal cushion (N20), and who must tape over my lips in order to get the therapy I need.  Taped lips + mouth breather = chipmunk cheeks.  They don't bother me, and perhaps you can work on accepting how they feel so that you can ignore them...?   Try it is what I suggest.  Put on your mask during the day and let your cheeks inflate.  Get used to the sensations.  It might help to make them innocuous to you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to the therapy, looking for advice.
read the mouth breathing section of the Mask Primer (see my signature) the tongue trick is the end goal, keeping the tongue on the roof of your mouth. it took me months to get this down
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 296 5 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,073 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 169 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 172 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 254 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,268 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 868 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.