Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Nasal Congestion
Nasal Congestion
I need advice. I use the sleep apnea machine every night with the humidifier on level 6. After a couple of weeks, I start to get nasal congestion or feels like I'm getting a cold. I clean the machine regularly. Any suggestions on how to prevent the nasal congestion? Please help. Thanks in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal Congestion
I suffer with nasal congestion and have found that if I don't use the heated hose and humidifier and just use the pass-over method, my nose clears. To do the pass-over, you need to still fill your water chamber but turn off the humidity and heating and don't use the warm up. Just switch the machine on and away you go. Another option is to just use the standard tubing and not put the water chamber in at all - however with me, this caused headaches and a very dry nose. But not everyone is the same.

You could also try a sinus rinse before you go to bed. I tried it but it didn't really help. Give the pass-over a go for a few days
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the suggestion can't wait to give it a try
Post Reply Post Reply
There seems to be two schools of thought on how to manage nasal congestion.

Either up the humidity, or lower it.... either could work, it seems to depend on the individual.

I found things improved a little for me with higher humidity- but no preheat of the water tank, I don't like the warm air that much, so it is better if I'm asleep before it warms up too much.

Though some nights my nose still totally blocks up, this morning I was up for about 30 minutes at 2:30 AM trying to deal with it.

When it reaches that point for me I use Fess or Otrivin nasal spray to try to flush and unblock it.

I'm also going to experiment with my own spray mix in an empty Fess bottle now that I've fully used one up.
I've made a solution of cooled boiled water [to ensure it is sterilised] with one drop of eucalyptus oil and a pinch of salt.
Not sure it will work, but I will try it with due caution today to ensure it doesn't cause a reaction or irritation before I trust using it in the middle of the night.

I have also developed a technique for sucking water up my nose and flushing it by blowing it back out whilst under the shower..... sounds gross I know, but being able to breathe is more important than not being gross. eeew

Besides, I used to work in a commercial piggery years ago... now THAT really was gross. Laugh-a-lot

Like weeble, I found that flushing before bed at night still didn't get me through the night on those nights when my nose did block up.

I'm fortunate that I don't suffer the issue every night, just intermittently where it totally blocks, most nights it is just slight to moderate congestion of the nasal passages.

Good luck with working out how to solve your dilemma.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi chunchon,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy and also,, dealing with your congestion.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  nasal congestion relief sleepingbetterinFl 2 160 03-23-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 326 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  If nasal congestion is a problem, will this show in my AHI? canigetawitness1992 4 393 01-29-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: RNeil
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 866 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Do wedged pillows alleviate nasal congestion? NoddingHacker 1 389 12-07-2023, 09:15 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Nose Pillow with congestion SleepSundogSleep 3 583 10-02-2023, 04:29 PM
Last Post: SleepSundogSleep
  Using Nasal Strips along with Nasal mask or pillows Bostonsnow 6 1,161 07-18-2023, 07:09 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.