Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI <5 with treatment - does type matter?
Question 
AHI <5 with treatment - does type matter?
Sorry if this has been already answered - my Google-fu is not as good as it used to be...

After about 500 days of APAP treatment, my AHI is finally consistently below 5. What hasn't changed is that about 50% of my events are shown as Central, with the remainder varying between Hypopneas and Obstructive. 

Does the type of event matter, if one is meeting treatment goals? 

I doubt Medicare would cover an ASV, should it be indicated, since I'm now below 5...
Huh
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI <5 with treatment - does type matter?
Not by the numbers. ASV would have to be symptomatically justified.

Type matters, at least to us.

Post a daily screenshot from OSCAR and will see what is going on.

It is a balancing act when both obstructive and Central are happening.

We really need to see your settings and what is going on.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Madbear, Well I not 100% sure, but just gut feeling more reading over time other comments on CA's if, at times, often very hard for  Dr to list a ASV in the 1st Instant! especially on low CA Numbersat times as if some Dr see CA's as invisible and some will only relate as if treating Obstructions. Then the  AHI < 5 is technically considered as treated, and may also think may possibly need have more than 1/2 Apneas in CA's ?  but you do say 1/2 CA & 1/2 others but then is < 5AHI, other things, they may look at if then some of those CA's may also be put down to Junk Sleep generally at times say as  restless times toss turning ? or start / end sleeping? or otherwise if short burst of CA's over short sleep period and is not constant over all night may not see as issue ? But hang out and wait on some of the Actual experienced it in getting ASVwhile also muvh more Technical knowledge.  Note I am in the same boat more recently spat high numbers but now back under the 5 with about 2-3 AHI CA 1-1.5 O & H, but then constantly- inconsistently ,when thinking all on top they then pop up for period week or so. I just have Resmed Autosense 10 under 12 month, but looking hang out with it as my sleep is still much better than has been for long time was just waking every 1/2 or hr as part of normal sleep, I didn't know what dreams were, but now get to enjoy some DREAMS and more often sleep thru the whole night without trip to toilet.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks - hope this is what's needed...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
IMHO you do not need an ASV.

Try Flex off, that should help reduce the centrals.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks -
Got it turned off - I'll see what happens this week. Guess I should go research what exactly Flex does...

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 39 10 hours ago
Last Post: TiredTim
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 118 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  New to CPAP - Could Use Some Help For Treatment chrotteg 8 278 03-10-2024, 05:51 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  New user struggling with treatment bsroberts 0 196 03-04-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: bsroberts
  Please help with treatment review DaveL 862 52,994 03-04-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  New here, trying to optimize treatment sweetbobby 10 579 03-03-2024, 10:20 AM
Last Post: sweetbobby

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.