Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: AirFit N10
Humidifier: built-in
CPAP Pressure: 7-9
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
RE: AHI 67/hour? High?
Thanks Lucky and OpalRose - I appreciate the support. I ended up with the AirSense 10 auto-set (CPAP). The first night I has 5.5 hours on but last night only 1.5 hours. I still feel an obstruction, either tongue, uvula or soft palate? And with the nasal mask (what the doc recommended based upon sleep study), it creates some anxiety. I've been a mouth breather for so long that I feel like when I get drowsy, I forget to breath through my nose and with the chin strap on, I'm fairly screwed! My GP confirmed that my left nostril is pretty swollen and blocked so I effectively have one nostril tied behind my back! (Great visual I know!) So...I have one nostril, an enormous tongue, a uvula that I sometimes actually swallow (it bleeds because of it), and maybe weak soft tissue? I have an ENT referral but the sleep Doc seemed uninterested in any of those things and just wanted to fit me with the CPAP? Thanks for listening...frustrated! :-)
03-22-2015 10:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Lucky Offline

New Members

Machine: PR System One Series 60 APAP
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Eson Nasal Mask
Humidifier: PR System One 60 Series Heated Tube Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 4-20 cm H2O
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Lucky to be alive!

(03-22-2015 10:01 AM)2tired2sleep Wrote:  Thanks Lucky and OpalRose - I appreciate the support. I ended up with the AirSense 10 auto-set (CPAP). The first night I has 5.5 hours on but last night only 1.5 hours. I still feel an obstruction, either tongue, uvula or soft palate? And with the nasal mask (what the doc recommended based upon sleep study), it creates some anxiety. I've been a mouth breather for so long that I feel like when I get drowsy, I forget to breath through my nose and with the chin strap on, I'm fairly screwed! My GP confirmed that my left nostril is pretty swollen and blocked so I effectively have one nostril tied behind my back! (Great visual I know!) So...I have one nostril, an enormous tongue, a uvula that I sometimes actually swallow (it bleeds because of it), and maybe weak soft tissue? I have an ENT referral but the sleep Doc seemed uninterested in any of those things and just wanted to fit me with the CPAP? Thanks for listening...frustrated! :-)

Great to hear you got an AutoSet. This will turn out to be a much better machine for you and will easily adapt to your needs.

Regarding the nasal mask, this was what I feared for you. My personal opinion - and I emphasize that I am not a doc - is that a nasal mask is definitely the wrong way to go at this point given your issues. It sounds like mouth breathing is your coping mechanism and that you do that for safety reasons - i.e. you need to breathe! Most of us who use nasal masks or pillows have a full face mask as backup for those times when we have colds or other congestion problems. There have been a few times that I just felt that I could not breathe through my nostrils and I wupped out the full face mask in the middle of the night for comfort. I had a terrible cold a few weeks ago and being able to open up my mouth and breathe freely was a God send.

I would get hold of a good full face mask asap and give it a try. ResMed makes some good ones as well as Philips. There are reviews and discussions regarding various models on this Board. My Fisher Paykel Simplex full face tends to keep me awake as the seal flexes with the auto pressure relief rhythm. I need to find one that works better for me, but if I ramp this one up slowly I can usually get to sleep and then I don't notice it.

Sorry for the trouble you are having, but hang in there because getting a good night's sleep will radically change your life.

Blessings and don't give up on the therapy. We all have a lot of hurdles to overcome in the beginning. When you get the right combination of equipment you will know it.
03-24-2015 02:23 AM
2tired2sleep Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 CPAP
Mask Make & Model: AirFit N10
Humidifier: built-in
CPAP Pressure: 7-9
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

Thanks Luck! Tried a full face last night, kept it on for 5 hours and events were cut down significantly. As you probably know though, "keeping it on" does not equate to "sleep". Even with the CPAP I'm unable to sleep on my back without issues. Therefore, I tend to sleep on my stomach which caused my mask seal to break many times so I wrestled with that. That being said...I DREAMED FOR THE FIRST TIME in what seems like forever! I'm interpreting that as progress! ENT appointment next month on the 8th, hopefully get some perspective and corrections on my nose, soft palate and tongue issues! Did I mention...I HAD A DREAM! Press'in on!
03-24-2015 09:04 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
quiescence at last Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: REMstar System One with Autoflex
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Quattro AirFit F10
Humidifier: yes typical setting = 4
CPAP Pressure: 5-13 Autotritrating CPAP
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: CMS-50F Plus oximeter /w SPO2 Assistant software. Avowed mouth-breather switching to nose-breathing

I personally take the dream as a good sign that sleep mechanisms are operative. Normally, if that is the case, you will go through possibly weeks of what is called REM rebound, where dreams will be abundant. Then they will slow back down to an equilibrium.

QAL

Dedicated to QALity sleep.
You'll note I am listed as an Advisory Member. I am honored to be listed as such. See the fine print - Advisory Members as a group provide advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies. Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
03-25-2015 08:00 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Dr. Wants To Do A 24-Hour Test harmon k 6 210 12-08-2016 02:55 PM
Last Post: robysue
  Events way too high! sfrasher 22 1,217 11-22-2016 06:35 PM
Last Post: sfrasher
  High AHI (7.5) and don't know why fotomatt1 15 684 11-20-2016 05:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] Hypoxic- No Apneas- Pressure Too High? beardog 13 641 11-08-2016 06:19 PM
Last Post: PsychoMike
  Leaks (Too high?) sleepytimegal 9 445 11-06-2016 09:58 PM
Last Post: sleepytimegal
  Symptoms of pressure being too high?? MrEGuy 4 586 10-19-2016 06:32 PM
Last Post: EnigmaGrey
  Why Are AHI High When Wide Awake? Dreams of Green 7 666 10-18-2016 09:35 PM
Last Post: 0rangebear