Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI Going Up
AHI Going Up
Hello, 

I'm a first time poster but a long time CPAP user.  I've had successful CPAP therapy for almost 4 years now but this last month or so it feels like it's not working.  

I have A Fib and for the last month I've had one attack and palpitations much more often that usual and also having them when I wake at night.  That's never happened before.  

My numbers continue to gradually go up.  I've usually maintained an average AHI under 3 and now lately it's always above 3 and creeping up around 5.  

I recently discovered OSCAR but I don't much know what to make of it and I can't get in with a pulmonologist until mid February and I'm not sure I can make it that far it's been that miserable.  

I've attached a screen shot of last night's stats, if anyone has any advice as to what I should do I'd be super grateful.  

Thanks so much for your time.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI Going Up
You are having a lot of positional apnea. Positional apnea can NOT be controlled by pressure changes. You have to find out what position you are getting into and cutting off your own airway. Have you changed your sleep position? Sleeping on your back? Using more (or new) pillows? These things can cause positional apnea by chin dropping to your sternum and cutting your airway. Think of it of a kinked hose – nothing can get through – you have to unkink the hose…
IF you can’t make a simple change like changing to a flatter pillow helps then you will need a collar. I have a link to collars in my signature at the bottom of the page. It shows people who are not wearing a collar and the SAME person wearing a collar. There is a huge difference between the two.
You can see position apnea when there are grouped O and H charts (not in central chart)
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
You do indeed have several clusters that suggest some positional issues, and staceyburke has provided some good information and links.

One additional thought: I think in your place I'd get in touch with my cardiologist in addition to my pulmonary doctor. You're seeing a change in your experience with A-fib, and the cardiologist needs to know that and might be able to help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow thank you so much that makes a lot of sense.  I’ve been having headaches some nights and neck pain.  I didn’t know positional apnea was a thing.  I may need to use the harness device.

Yes thank you, I do have a cardiologist appointment this week.  I do think the issue has been my breathing at night but I’m no doctor!!
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.