Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Black particles inside the motor chamber
RE: Black particles inside the motor chamber
Can also see black staining on the inside end of the blower blades.
If this could be a DIY thing, I'd say swap out the motor for a new one and run it for a while (days ? months ?), then open it back up and check for more black stuff.
If not a DIY (unsure if a person outside of an authorized service centre can even source a Resmed blower), then arrange with your DME for a loaner and sent it in for repair.
If you have to use it for now, vacuum it out well.. but avoid letting the motor spin freely to very high speed due to the vacuum.

Whatever it was, some of it may have blown down the pipe into you, but hopefully just a very small amount.

Wouldnt this be a bad time to start finding problematic Resmeds ? This certainly seems like a one-off though.
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe I'm jumping the gun on blower replacement.
Is there anything else black that could have been ingested by the blower ?
There should be some kind of foam in the airpath leading up to the blower, does it look okay ?
Resmed apparently does not have the same issue as Philips (the big recall) , it's a different kind of foam.
But people have posted pics of resmed foam breaking down when used with SoClean or other ozone cleaners.
Did you ever send your unit in to be cleaned or serviced ? Could they have ozone cleaned it then ?
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-13-2021, 07:52 PM)DaveCar Wrote: Maybe I'm jumping the gun on blower replacement.
Is there anything else black that could have been ingested by the blower ?
There should be some kind of foam in the airpath leading up to the blower, does it look okay ?
Resmed apparently does not have the same issue as Philips (the big recall) , it's a different kind of foam.
But people have posted pics of resmed foam breaking down when used with SoClean or other ozone cleaners.
Did you ever send your unit in to be cleaned or serviced ?  Could they have ozone cleaned it then ?

Never sent it to be cleaned, I only made the basic maintenance myself (replacing filters, cleaning hose/mask/humidifier)
The foam is the only black thing that could be close to the motor chamber. I checked it and didn't perceive any anomaly. In any case the foam is on the side where the air comes out of the motor and the particles are only on the other side, where the air comes in.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you turn the motor/blower manually with your finger or pen, does it rotate smoothly ?

I've often wondered what could happen if a beetle crawled into a mask and up the hose. Seems like a stretch to think it could make it through the humidifier tank and then into the blower exhaust port, but technicians have indeed found bugs/etc in some wildly oddball places with other types of devices. However, I doubt that a chopped up bug would give a noticeable change in the cpap sound.

I guess we're back to suspecting the motor itself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 184 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Can I buy just the Airsense 10 Motor replacement part? JohnReam 29 9,907 02-26-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 769 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 210 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90
  S9 Blower Motor vk3hjq 105 16,366 01-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: Julio Bigtime
  [Equipment] water chamber strong plastic odor twdc33 2 356 01-24-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: twdc33

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.