Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI Got Worse after I got my own machine
AHI Got Worse after I got my own machine
Hi all,

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone

I was on a one month CPAP trial; tried the Dreamstation first and then the Dreamstation Go. I got very good results during the trial, and was a believer from the second day. 

I recently bought my own DS Go, and have been using it for about a week. And the results are very discouraging. AHI has gone up to 11.6, and I don't wake up refreshed as I did during the trial. I checked the settings on my machine, and they are identical to the trial; except for Opti-Start, which I thought will help.

I have attached a few screen shots, will appreciate some assistance in getting a good night's sleep.

Diagnosed AHI - 39
Average AHI during One month Trial - 3.1
One Week average AHI on my own DS Go - 11.6

Edit: Mask is the same, Dreamwear Full Face Hybrid

Latest OSCAR Report

Encore Report During Trial (Did not import this data into OSCAR)

Encore Report from My Machine

Trial Machine Settings

My own machine settings

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI Got Worse after I got my own machine
It looks like you have a problem with positional apnea. In other words you were sleeping in a position that was cutting off you airway. No adjustment to the machine will help. You just have to get out of that position. For instance did you sleep on your back? Did you sleep with a higher pillow? What did you do to cut off your airway? Many times we see people “chin tuck” and cut off their airway.

One way to help IF you can’t change it by yourself is to use a collar to keep your airway open. See collar at the bottom of the post
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the response. And yes, my sleeping position was altered by a CPAP pillow I put  on top of my usual pillow.

Maybe I'll try removing that first, or I'll get a soft collar.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds good. Post when you have had a night without the pillow and someone can give you suggestions on pressures to change.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Mate, you're likely needing the collar to combat the positional cluster apnea. AND your pressures with that DreamStation aren't doing you much favors. That Min pressure needs a big bump. Your OSCAR stat on the pressures listed your EPAP at 10.9 for the 95%. You're needing this slow responding Respironics much closer to 11 than 4, maybe at least try 8, but I can picture it needing a Min of 9-11 when it's all said and done.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Try using one of those U-shaped neck pillows people use for sleeping on planes and trains instead of a CPAP pillow. Get a thick sturdy one. I’ve been using that for some years and have found it useful in allowing me to adjust sleep positions.
Post Reply Post Reply
Turn off opti start it limits the pressure rises of the machine, also look up our wiki on positional apnoea

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ng_therapy
Post Reply Post Reply
*Update* AHI Got Worse after I got my own machine
Hi all,

My AHI has definitely gone done after pushing up the minimum pressure to 10, and I have ordered a Soft Cervical Collar to see if it helps. However, i am still waking up feeling a bit foggy. What else could be wrong?

Latest OSCAR Chart attached for your review and feedback

Post Reply Post Reply
You still clearly have some positional issues as shown on your chart. Even though your AHI is lower, I think you need to give things time to heal and recover. This thread only began Christmas Eve, and you still have outstanding issues. If you want to feel like a million bucks, get a Resmed...seriously. Don't believ e me, read this page of this thread http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...epy?page=3
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-08-2021, 10:06 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: You still clearly have some positional issues as shown on your chart.  Even though your AHI is lower, I think  you need to give things time to heal and recover.  This thread only began Christmas Eve, and you still have outstanding issues.  If you want to feel like a million bucks, get a Resmed...seriously.  Don't believ e me, read this page of this thread http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...epy?page=3

Ok thanks, I will report back once I have had a chance to use the Cervical Collar.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 215 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [Equipment] Much worse sleep with ResMed? Jookia 8 178 03-25-2024, 11:16 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 585 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 322 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Events worse in the morning and events in general getting worse Elizabeth79 45 1,982 02-14-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Elizabeth79
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 323 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 933 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.