Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Just got diagnosed
Just got diagnosed
Hello.  I  am a 38 year old woman and I just got diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea (25 apneas/hour).  As odd as it sounds, it felt like a relief to finally have an explanation of why I am always so tired and haven't felt as mentally sharp as I used to.  My doctor gave me my entire sleep study results which I would love help deciphering.  Which values should I post?

In a few weeks I have another sleep study using a machine but in the meantime, I would like to hone in on a few machines I am interested in so I can be prepared to discuss it at my next doctor appointment.  How do I know which machine is right for me? How about masks? I'm a sidesleeper.

I would love any and all help as all of this is very new to me.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Just got diagnosed
Hello, WillowtheHen. Welcome to the forum.

I will let someone who can better help you with your data advise you on what they need from the sleep study.

You will want to insist on a fully data capable machine. An auto cpap is preferable. It can be run as either an auto cpap or a fixed pressure cpap. The price difference in the two machines  is negligible. Archangle's Machine Choices wiki article is a good place to start.

I use a ResMed P10 nasal pillow mask. It is very lightweight, easy to use mask that is very popular with folks on the forum. The wiki Mask Primer article describes the different types of masks in detail.

Good luck with your new journey.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-03-2017, 09:29 AM)WillowtheHen Wrote: Hello.  I  am a 38 year old woman and I just got diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea (25 apneas/hour).  As odd as it sounds, it felt like a relief to finally have an explanation of why I am always so tired and haven't felt as mentally sharp as I used to.  My doctor gave me my entire sleep study results which I would love help deciphering.  Which values should I post?

In a few weeks I have another sleep study using a machine but in the meantime, I would like to hone in on a few machines I am interested in so I can be prepared to discuss it at my next doctor appointment.  How do I know which machine is right for me?  How about masks?  I'm a sidesleeper.

I would love any and all help as all of this is very new to me.
Welcome to the forum

Post a copy of the sleep study, block out your personal data.  There can be much in there about 
read http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ew-machine
and http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer The mask is the hardest part of the therapy, finding the right mask for you.

Facts for you to be aware of.  It is likely you will be using a xPAP machine for the rest of your life.  Therefore it is extremely important to get a machine that can change with you over the life of the machine, for arguments sake say the next 5 years before you get a replacement.  I strongly suggest first and foremost a fully data capable machine, and further suggest a machine that can change with you thru the night as you change position.  How can you, your Dr, your RT change the settings on your machine if it has no data on which to make a decision.  To this end I suggest 3 machines, ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset, ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset for Her, or Philips Respironics DreamStation Auto CPAP Machine (DSX500H11, DSX500T11).  These machines are to treat plain vanilla OSA.

The ResMed responds more aggressivly and is preferred by many members on this forum but any of those machines are up to the task.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
It will take several posts until the system trusts you with image links or attachment. Welcome to the forum. I look forward to seeing your results and helping you decrypt the code.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 21 320 2 hours ago
Last Post: Schernenk
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 54 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 16 381 03-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Newbie2024
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 290 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  newly diagnosed, need some help reading OSCAR report mushroom 5 478 12-13-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Hi I'm new here - just diagnosed waterboyOz 32 1,805 12-11-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  First-time CPAP Machine Advice (Newly Diagnosed OSA) Franko39 2 408 11-15-2023, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Franko39

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.