Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI HIGHER AFTER TAKING PAMELOR (nortriptyline)
AHI HIGHER AFTER TAKING PAMELOR (nortriptyline)
I took my first 10mg dose of Pamelor (nortriptyline) last night.  It made me very tired, drowsy and hungry.
I also started using a cervical collar to stop my chin from dropping and closing my airway (recommended by someone on here) I slept for 9 hours and woke very tired and drowsy. 
I have tried Pamelor before and it had the same effect making me very tired and drowsy. Anyway my AHI last night was 11.46.
I have only just upped the pressure of my cpap machine 3 days ago and for the first 2 nights my AHI was well below 5.
I am worried that the Pamelor being so sedating is not good for my sleep apnea. I really want to give Pamelor a good change of helping my Migrainous Vertigo but if it making me so tired and also making my sleep apnea worse I am reluctant to carry on the trial of Pamelor. I am very sensitive to medications.

Does anyone here have any experiences in taking Pamelor ?

My cpap pressure is set to 11. If I up pressure to 11.5 my mask leaks no matter how tight I fit the mask. This is stopping me upping pressure.

Last nights cpap results (with Pamelor) : http://imgur.com/a/CT21K

Previous 2 nights results (without Pamelor) : http://imgur.com/a/gI6lQ
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI HIGHER AFTER TAKING PAMELOR (nortriptyline)
Nortriptyline is a tricyclic antidepressant of the first generation and these are typically quite sedating. Often prescribed "off label" for insomnia and nerve pain.

Anything that sedates will cause your throat muscles to relax more and can definitely up the A.H.I. This should get better as you get used to the drug. If it has been prescribed for depression you should keep taking it but have a talk with your Doctor if you would like a different treatment.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Some individuals have genetic variances in how they breakdown drugs. With attention to your own drug responses, you may be able to use this table to determine if you might have one of these.

It is possible you may break this drug down more slowly than others, and thus have an increased blood level of it and increased side effects. You might discuss reducing the dose with your healthcare provider and seeing if it is still sufficient for its intent. Note that with sustained use over weeks, you may find the sedative effects reducing as your body becomes accustomed to it.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Many thanks for the info. I will discuss maybe trying a lower dosage with my doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 117 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  [CPAP] Can pressure wanting to go higher actually be due to leakage? richapple 1 105 03-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 173 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  [Diagnosis] WatchPAT sleep apena diagnosis low AHI higher RDI. Need advice godiego 22 3,431 02-28-2024, 02:39 PM
Last Post: godiego
  Taking a sleep test while on CPAP? hydra 4 355 02-21-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: MikeR20
  My inspiratory time is higher than expiratory on Auto S Bipap Stubert 3 381 02-01-2024, 09:27 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] A new ResMed AirSense 10 fails to do Smart Stop when at higher altitude. mountaincat 6 539 01-28-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: mountaincat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.