Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI HIGHER RECENTLY. AS MUCH AS DOUBLE MY NORM???
RE: AHI HIGHER RECENTLY. AS MUCH AS DOUBLE MY NORM???
I have tried this with all my masks. When I do it this way they leak. Usually at the top of my cheeks. Even if they don't leak sitting up they leak when I lay on my side in bed as my face changes shape. I do have a big face lol.
Post Reply Post Reply
+bazillion for too tight = leaks

If the cushion cannot inflate, it cannot seal properly. I know it is counter-intuitive, and tightening seems to fix the leaks, but tightening actually prevents the mask from sealing.

What about the Fisher & Paykel Simplus FFM?

It is worn by first tightening the bottom part (but just enough to form the seal), and the upper part has sort of a 'telescoping' feature on the bridge of the nose that only requires the plastic upper frame to be positioned properly. The upper frame is not supposed to even touch your skin.

If you do a search on "Taming the Mirage Quattro" you'll find a blog, Mask Arrayed, that tells of making a particular leak-prone mask work. She has a really good explanation/description of how to get a mask to work properly.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the info KIWII. I will do my best to follow the tips. I found the blog. Some good info there. I have made a mistake. I have the Quattro FX not the Mirage. Last night I gave the Quatro Fx a go but I got much more leakage. I had the mask looser than usual. I woke many time with leaks and tightened the mask a little. 

I will use the Quattro FX again tonight. I've just given it a clean. I will spend more time carefully adjusting the mask with the pressure on and test it lying down on my side.

Last nights results with the Quattro Fx:

https://imgur.com/a/0mxpC
Post Reply Post Reply
I think if you bump the pressure up 1cm it will help get rid of a lot those hypopneas.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks yes I agree but when i turn pressure up 0.5 to 14.5 my mask leaks and my cheeks blow up. I feel like its difficult to breath too at anything above 14. I will do some more testing today and see if i can manage 15cmH20. At times i think of using silicone  gun to seal my mask to my face lol.
Post Reply Post Reply
Can anyone help me understand how much leak is acceptable with my setup/cpap machine? how does sleepyhead value leaks? Does leakage render my ahi score useless? Obviously the aim is no leaks but i want to know how much leak is acceptable.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know if anyone has given you this link. But it's called Mask Primer and it should help you out. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer

You might want to think about giving nasal pillows a try.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks walla walla I will read the link you sent me. I cant use nasal mak as my nose if usually blocked or partially blocked. I'm not sure why but I do know that my left nostril may be blocked more than the right side due to my deviated septum. I am on the waiting list to see a doctor about having a septoplasty to correct this. My doctor did tell me that a septoplasty does not always help breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Having a nightmare here guys. Night before last I used the philips respironics Amara and had too many leaks. Last night I used the Quattro FX and had a terrible leaks all night. I have followed all the instructions on how to fit the Quattro Fx and the Airfit F10. They leak and make a farting noise if I have them loose and let them inflate, they leak when tightened more too and I can only use these masks when I have them fitted very tight. I have been testing the Quattro fx this morning and the only way I can get it to not leak is to fit the mask tight and tape the straps up as the straps come undone fitting the mask tight. I find the headgear and velcro straps on the Quattro fx to be rubbish to be honest. 

Maybe my face is too fat or my mask size it too big. I use a size Large. I've tested a size Medium at the hospital but I am a mouth breather and when my mouth opens my bottom lip drops below the mask and leaks when using a Medium.

I would make an appointment to go to the hospital to discuss these issues but they are not very clued up on these matters i'm afraid. Makes better sense to ask my dog lol. They seem to only look at my percentage usage and to see if my ahi is better than without cpap. They have never noticed my leaks, my high ahi, my waking during the night or anything else. I have to point these things out on the computer screen for them and even then they do not see any problem. If I listened to them my machine would be on lower pressure, my ahi would be higher and I would have walked away with a mask too small. Thank god for the internet I say!

Past 2 nights results below:

https://imgur.com/a/OnXfL

https://imgur.com/a/ELFf2
Post Reply Post Reply
I forgot to mention I lowered the pressure to 12.5cmH20 to try and reduce leaks. I feel my only option to prevent high leakage is to wear the mask tight and lower pressure. I got to say that last night after waking so many time due to leaks I was ready to throw my masks in the bin. I was not a happy bunny!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low OA, Higher CA Scores Davaadtron 6 157 11 hours ago
Last Post: joeblough
  New Machine Higher AHI Hauty 6 192 04-19-2024, 03:52 PM
Last Post: Hauty
  [Diagnosis] WatchPAT sleep apena diagnosis low AHI higher RDI. Need advice godiego 24 3,730 04-04-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: godiego
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 403 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 182 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  [CPAP] Can pressure wanting to go higher actually be due to leakage? richapple 1 167 03-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  My inspiratory time is higher than expiratory on Auto S Bipap Stubert 3 419 02-01-2024, 09:27 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.